1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Rattling/Tapping noise from engine - Grange Punto 1.3 MJD

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by amol.ard, Jul 26, 2012.

1. aashish_19

aashish_19 Amatore

Noida
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Yes it might due to blocked injector also. It its sound like 'kadd' 'kadd' at lower RPM and vanishes when rpm increases then it definitely injectors issue as it didn't able to spray oil properly on timing chain and thus the noise comes up.

Injector block due to adulterated fuel or may be probably the dirt that comes up from fuel tank while using the car at low fuel.
  2. abhiuday

abhiuday Amatore

New Delhi
    Even I get this "Kadd Kadd" sound when I start the car in the morning. It stays for a minute or so then dissapears. Is it somewhat related to Injectors problem or is it normal sound?
  3. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    @aashish_19 I gues you are mixing diesel fuel injectors with oil spyaring injectors of timing chain.

@abhiuday for a minute or two in morning the noise is higher than normal but the noise isn't like Kadd Kaddd. Please upload a voice clip of the noise.
    This is the noise of MJD at cold startup, recorded around a year back
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  4. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
  5. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @ Vijay I saw a video & listened noise. IMO all is well.
    Coz on idle RPM,your engine is not shaking & vibrating.

Noise in my MJD is so low like petrol engine but on idle rpm,my engine shakes & vibrates.
    Loud diesel clatter & absense of vibration at idle RPM means fuel is burning effectively

---------- Post added at 07:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 AM ----------

Sorry for mistake. In video engine is shaking . But it is shaking with differant manner.
    This type of shaking manner I never seen. It is shaking like at the time of startup or stop.

BTW I also recorded video of my engine running on idle RPM.
    When I played the clip on my cell I found that noise of my engine is also same.

There is differance of noise while listening on recorded clip & listening live engine idle noise.

If we make video clip of diesel engine clatter noise on cell phone,noise of engine feels loud & noisy.
    But if we hear engine noise live (directly by ear) diesel clatter feels smooth.

In the above video only one thing I found abnormal. That's a shaking manner of engine at idle RPM.
  6. sine04

sine04 Regolare

Mysore/Bangalore, Karnataka.
    Mysore/Bangalore, Karnataka.
    Fiat Enthusiast
    @Thread opener- How was your issue resolved?
    In case it helps other members-
    I faced the exact same issue the thread opener faced. The change in engine note and the increase in NVH was noticeable right after my 40k service. Though it rang warning bells, I pushed the issue to the back of my mind by convincing myself that it was just me being paranoid.
    Two days ago, while I was on my way back from Bangalore, the engine note took a turn for the worse. There was a noticeable grating noise accompanied with a subtle drop in performance.
    Today morning I paid a visit to the FASS at Mysore. The SA immediately diagnosed it as bearing noise from water pump. A quick internet search led me to this thread and I repeated what other members here have said- water pump wouldn't fail that early (my car is at 41k kms). To prove his point the SA disconnected the belt running around the water pump; the noise disappeared immediately. Convinced, I gave him the green signal to replace the part. Post replacement, the car is back to being its usual smooth, free revving self.
    Cost- Rs. 3080/- for the part and Rs.600/- labour. Tax etc added, the final bill was Rs.3975/-

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
    RaviHegde and punto_emotion like this.