1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Rate of tyre wear

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by jiji, Sep 19, 2010.

1. jiji

jiji Amatore

Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum), India, India
    Trivandrum
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi i have a GP which is about 10months old, clocked around 16500. I have noticed tire wear on all four tires. ::pP the treads are worn out to half way. Am i the only one or is anyone else facing this problem? :sadblue My car has Bridgestone 175/65 R14 tires.
  2. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Re: Tires

Average tyre life is ~40K +/-15%.

But there is no defined criteria. And tyre life is not calculated in months/years.

It depends upon many factors. e.g.
    Tyre make
    road condition
    driving style
    tyre pressure throughout lifetime of a tyre
    tyre maintenance(scheduled rotation etc)
    wheel alignment
    wheel balancing.

Are they evenly worn out? Or are they worn out from the sides or in the center.
    It is tough to say whether it is abnormal or not by not knowing about the above factors in your case but 50% wear at 17k ODO is nothing alarming IMO.
  3. jiji

jiji Amatore

Trivandrum
    Grande Punto 1.3

They are worn out evenly. On first look one will never see the tread, and grip levels are low. So i m not taking any chances planning to upgrade. I got a few options, you guys can help me out
    1. Michellin Pilot Sport 3 195/55 R15 Rs5200
    2.BF Goodrich G-Force 205/55 R15 Rs5500
    3.Yokohama AVS ES100 195/60 R15 Rs4300
    rest of the options like Apollo accelere i am not interested. So can you guys narrow it down.
    and advance thanks for the suggestions.
  4. Andy

Andy Esperto

Chembur Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3

As statd above it depends on various factors.. we really cannot determine the lifespan of a tyre.. on an avg it should last you for around 30-40k kms easy.. since u stated its evenly worn out then i guess your running would have been more on highways and at high speeds.. if you feel the threads are complete off the track kindly get the tyres replaced asap..
  5. redtux

redtux

Trivandrum

So you are upsizing from 14" to 15"? Wont it void the warranty?

:eek:fftopic Did you visit Kulathunkal Motors sometime before August? I was coming out of the service station and unintentially blocked an incoming Punto (as I was ogling at the red punto with some stripes, stickers etc.) Was it you?
  6. jiji

jiji Amatore

Trivandrum
    Grande Punto 1.3

@Andy
    The car was used in city limits as well as highways, but most of the time in highways. So i guess that did worn out the tires!!! ::T
    @Redtux It won t avoid warranty because the full option Punto comes with 195/60 R15.
    @Redtux
    :eek:fftopic Yeah i did visit Kulathunkal before August, i don t think it was me, my car only have stripes on either sides that too near the bottom of the doors. There is another car that has similar stripes but continuing all the way to the back. If it was me apologies ::D

I narrowed down my options Yokohama tires 195/60 R15 bought them today. I m uploading the pics.
    IMG_2781.jpg
  7. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3

Is it S-drive? What was the cost?
  8. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3

Wow. Looks like a F1 pit stop with all those bulky tyres. :lol:
    Congrats jiji. Tread pattern looks good as well. ::T
  9. jiji

jiji Amatore

Trivandrum
    Grande Punto 1.3

@Ravi
    It s not S-Drive the model is AVS ES100 195/60 R15.Here in Trivandrum it costs 4300 per tire. S-drive and A-drive these two are the most popular Yokohama tires that are available here. I didn t like the tread pattern on those two,some what normal pattern. ::pP So i chose these instead.
  10. jiji

jiji Amatore

Trivandrum
    Grande Punto 1.3

@PaddleShifter. Thanks man.:) I can t wait to try out these tires. Now the wait is for the new alloys that i have ordered.!