1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Ratan Tata on Fiat JV

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by ramjn, Aug 13, 2011.

1. FastLove

FastLove Superiore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    Mr. Ratan Tata is the only foreigner to be on FIATs board if I m not wrong!

Edit - he is an independent director in FIAT s.p.a. Since 2006.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  2. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    "naach na jaane aangan tedha" that is only i would say about fiat if accusing anybody else.
    This kind of attitude will find any number of faults with others.
    Like Indian diesal is not good for crdi , or Indians are not matured for good cars etc

Fiat have very bad reputation around the globe (fix it again tony)which they presently has thought of resolving recently with launch of fiat 500.
    The same issues like cheap plastics,messed up ergonomics,panel gaps ,rusting and all such issues are found in fiat cars in Europe too.as far as i have seen many of the Europeans do not have very good impressions about fiat products.
    I have recently seen a review in which new punto evo had a leaking door in rain. the reviewer was like with popped out eyes looking at wet dash board and ac vents and couple of other issues..

If fiat has to do it they can do it. but they dont know how to so just blame Tata.
  3. drifter

drifter Regolare

London/Mumbai
    I used to be a Fiat and Alfa Romeo fan.

I still own an Alfa 33 16v and some older Fiats.

The management of the Fiat group is crap. The Alfa Romeo 159, Brera and Spyder are over weight barges made from cheap raw material. They are sluggish and handle poorly. Alfa Romeo nearly went to the wall last year.

The 500 is of rather poor quality. The multi air twin engine has got a high recall number. A third of all Abarths for the first year came as non runners to the dealers. The Alfa Selespeed models had nothing than problems. The list goes on.

Tata certainly has got their own problems, but the real reason for the failures is with Fiat.
  4. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    If Multiair has got high recall then is there any info about MJD ?
    One bitter truth is,for developed countries India is dustbin of auto technology
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  5. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    What an ignorant statement in today's day and age.
  6. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @ bhai,I haven't observed single recall for MJd any recent.
    probably converting crdi into crki would create such situation of a recall but unfortunately manufacturers wont entertain it.
  7. Ichimaru

Ichimaru Regolare

Gurgaon, India
    I beg to differ here.
    One of the best things about Palio was its HPS.
    More than that, FIAT needs to upgrade the interiors of the Palio. It is a very practical car with leg space as much or maybe more than even the Linea.
  8. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    Both Tata & Fiat need to realise that Fiat cannot become a volume seller in India immediately even if they sell a Ferrari for Punto prices.

Best way forward in my opinion is:

- Get the quality spot on with the interiors. This is the biggest problem so address it. Yes there is to some extent an unreasonableness from the market regarding this but face it, people sweep through a Fiat with magnifying glasses so you really have no choice but the over engineer your car's.

- Get the niggling issues and recalls out. You can't be seen manufacturing 2000 cars per month and still have problems in them. Shows really bad on you & your quality system doesn't it?

- Improve the performance or reduce the weight. Change the gear ratio's or better yet go all out and develop an all new gearbox. The current cars are sluggish. Don't give reasons why and how the Fiat's are better at top end. The market has spoken - right or wrong - that is the perception and you have to change that.

- Sell from your own showrooms.

Yes, all this will cost money and you may have to sell at a loss but sometimes you have to lose the battle to win the war.
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  9. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    I hope you don't mean this w.r.t the Linea MJD.

If you do, then i'd request you to take an extensive test drive of it,

And no pun intended, an ANHC owner should be the last person to comment on the Linea E+'s (I mention Linea E+, since that's the one i know about) interior quality. Because an Anhc owner has paid substantially more for less. Just see the anhc's centre console. You'll have a good idea about the quality, or the lack of it.

Gurjinder.
  10. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    @amit, This morning I had been to one of the SCs in Chennai and had a chance to meet a FIAT official. He is in full agreement with all our woes and only said that things will defenitely change for the better in short while. The guy was very confident about himself and his job and you wouldn't find that in a employee of a tottering company.

Slated for release in Dec are the updated Linea and Punto ,and for the Auto expo will be the small car. Also said was that coming up will be 44 exclusive FIAT dealerships with service. So I guess that's good to hear atleast.

Abdul