1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Rant about the TJet+ stock ICE

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by dj.nish, Oct 9, 2011.

1. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    So I was hoping to have a near decent OEM ICE in the TJet+. In a 10.5 lac rupee car, all they can provide is a crappy HU? I knew that speakers are going to be pathetic, but even the HU? That's shameful. Even the USB slot is hidden away so deep in the glove box that one has to strain and bend in weird positions to access it!

Coming to the actual problems
    1. How can I change folders and/or display tracks while playing through the USB? The steering remote does change tracks, but all I can see is the track name (scrolling briefly) on the MID. Is there any setting required to do for it to be displayed on the HU?

2. What about the co-passenger? How can she do it? Why doesn't Fiat supply a remote control separately in this premium car? What if Seth-ji were to sit in the rear bench while the driver is at the wheel?

I know the answer will be buried somewhere in the user manual, but pardon me as I'm a bit allergic to reading reams of bound pages to get a simple solution.

2. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Seriously it's flawed mate. You can only see the tracks currently played through the MID. Also there isn't a remote available for both the Linea and Punto we've got to live with it change the HU, I know it doesn't make sense on a brand new car but that's the best we can do. My OH keeps cribbing about it, but I keep saying that it's a drivers car lol.

It is high time that the manufactures start giving safety options on all the versions hence we can get the ICE of our choice.
  3. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    I thought that speakers were crap and HU was fine

What upgradesre you planning?
  4. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    To be honest I wouldn't call it crap. A decent amp and sub combination can bring the best out of it.
  5. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    A good set of speakers is more than enough. The HU is capable of doing much more than what the stock speakers can handle. Definitely not the best but better than what you think.
  6. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    Well if you are finicky about your ICE, it makes a lot of sense to change the HU at any stage of car ownership. I'm currently researching whether I can retain the steering controls and B&M if I change the HU.
    They arent at least for my taste! I already have my ICE from the old car (Clarion DXZ785USB HU, Illusion Electra EL 6.1 components, Blaupunkt GTA 4 amp and Ground Zero 12 inch subwoofer). This will go in the TJet, along with another set of components for the rear, and a new 2 channel amp dedicated exclusively to the sub.
    My amp is pretty decent, but I doubt the HU can provide speaker/line level inputs. In the absence of that, no amp can do justice. Of course a sound processor is another option, which I'm reading up on currently.
    I dont think any HU can drive components with the kind of amplification they give. So unless you plonk in a pair of coaxial speakers and be happy with them, I will not call the HU 'capable'
  7. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
  8. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    The HU is so crap that there is no comparison!

1. Why doesnt Fiat supply a remote control? I understand the need for a steering remote for the driver. But what if co-passengers need to change tracks etc?
    2. Why can I not change tracks/browse folders etc using the HU when I'm playing music thru USB or iPod? The only way to do is either steering remote control or Blue & Me.
    3. Why doesn't the HU display which track is being played currently? I can see it (briefly) on the MID

Even a basic Rs 2,000 Sony HU does all of the above, and more!

And to think that Linea TJet+ is the flagship, top-of-the-line model from Fiat stable!
  9. kr_vasudev

kr_vasudev Superiore

Bangalore
    Remote is a must. I tried to get after market remotes, but still searching for one :)

Coming back to the HU, I am happy with the set, it is not the best we have, but ok. I had to only change the speakers with Comps at front and Co-ax at rear.

I agree for a car that costs 10.8L Onroad (Bangalore when i bought) add 20K and provide a class A product. I did give the very same feedback to Fiat Italy and India.
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  10. anoop

anoop Superiore

@dj.nish: After coming from Clarion DXZ785USB, no wonder you feel the OEM ICE is not up to the standards. Will wait for your ICE upgrade thread - I am sure it is gonna be a nice one.