1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

rammed from rear..

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by teja, Jan 26, 2015.

1. teja

teja Timido

bombay
    bombay
    Grande Punto 1.3
    hi guys..need guidance

had a small incident this saturday night..a santro rammed my punto on the aarey flyover on the western express highway(mumbai). was on the right most lane, the swift infront stopped suddenly and thanks to punto's braking ability we stopped shy of touching the swift and i was about to grin. within less than a second santro rammed into the punto and by then my foot was off the brake, and punto kissed the swift from rear.

damage -
    1) dent on the left side of rear bumper. thgt this will self-heal, a day gone..no signs so far :inpain:
    2) reverse parking light broken
    3) rear fog light broken
    4) number plate broken
    5) bumper also got a bit misaligned
    6) number plate lights came off, i guess i was able to fix them back

couldn't get the santro guy to pay for damages..was in a rush and had some other issues because of which i cdn't push hard..after arguing fr 5-10 mins that it was his fault, just took his number and left the scene.

i'm posting the pictures, please let me know if i should take it to FASS or go to a local mechanic, i'm okay with both as well as getting few things done here and there. i stay few kms away from RS Motors. kindly suggest a good local garage near by too. should the entire fog light and reverse parking light assembly need replacement, or just the outer case..forgive my ignorance :)

punto_accident1.1.jpg punto_accident1.2.jpg punto_accident1.3.jpg

Off topics - i think i'm getting insanely low mileage of 7-8 kmpl (it's 1.3 epack)..any suggestion is helpful. i did manage to stop in time, but just felt the breaking isn't as sharp as what i observed in my friend's car..brake pads are < 1k km old

santro's front bonnet got bent, number plate gone. and luckily nothing happened to the swift..

MODS: i hope this is posted in the right section. kindly move if it's not, or merge with any previous post if required.

thanks!
  2. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Good that you escaped without any major damages.

First casualty in such situations is the rear lights. Just a small touch from another vehicle breaks them. Once a scooter had touched my car and broken the rear fog light. Though I don't remember exact cost I remember it was pretty expensive for the size of the light!

Try heating the bumper with hot air (hair dryer) and push it out where the bumper has gone in. There is a 50/50 chance of getting it back. I am saying 50/50 because there is very less possibility of the plastic recovering in such very shallow depth dent. Plastic has not much of motivation to come back to its original shape.

About the bumper misalignment - check whether the clips holding the bumper to the body are broken. In most of the cases clips break and the bumper gets misaligned. FASC people are not going to try to fix the clips. You may have to try DIY or non-FASC garage/mechanics. If those clips are not broken then the supporting metal parts are bent. In such a case you will be able to bend them back and get the bumper to align properly. In this case also don't expect FASC guys to have enough patience to get it aligned properly. Try outside garage. If you are technically inclined person and have some basic tools you may do the whole rear bumper yourself.
  3. teja

teja Timido

bombay
    bombay
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks Ravi..would love to attempt DIY, but don't have the basic tools, or a place to attempt.

one of the older threads mentioned price of 750 each for the lights..

will try to find some trusted local garage..will wait for someone to suggest for one on the western suburbs.
  4. teja

teja Timido

bombay
    bombay
    Grande Punto 1.3
    big thanks to asimpleson! called him up, met him briefly last saturday and he suggested a local garage near by. pretty decent job was done by the guys.

bumper was removed, dented portion was heated, and then pressed back to original shape. luckily paint didn't get chipped off :).
    the lower metal frame to which bumper is fixed was also straightened back to normal position. all the clips holding the bumper were intact, and the misalignment's gone after re-fitting.

overall, a good learning experience. just a thought for the DIY, if the bumper is misaligned, the metal frame to which bumper's fitted should be examined first, and straightened. and then heat can be applied with care to push the plastic back to it's original shape.

here are some shots..taken at night.

wip1.jpg wip2.jpg bumper.jpg
  5. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    @teja

A neat finish I must say, thanks to Aseem aka @asimpleson for making it look really simple. How much did it cost?

So are the reverse parking and fog lamp covers too replaced or still yet to be done? I guess only the covers were damaged right and not the lights, right? Is the number plate light holding good?
  6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @ghodlur,
    Girish, I recommended @teja to my trusty old denter/painter Narayan aka Naru as I like to call him. Him being Kannada I tease him by saying "nin Hasre nu Narayana?'. Cause thats about as much Kannada I know. :D
  7. teja

teja Timido

bombay
    bombay
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @ghodlur

yes, only the covers are broken, will get them replaced at RS Motors sometime this month.

removal of dent costed 1k. fixed a new number plate, and it's holding perfectly.
  8. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    I would be surprised if you get the covers only. Usually FASS sells the entire unit and not just the covers. My Punto's reverse parking lamp cover is still in broken condition and haven't been able to source just the cover from FASS.

All the best.
  9. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    Thats a very neat job and seems light on pockets too!!
    Crazy Fiatian likes this.