1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Rain and water logs in boot space

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by basavaraj koti, Apr 27, 2015.

1. basavaraj koti

basavaraj koti Novizio

bangalore
    Hi All,
    Proudly own a Punto 2012 BNW.
    But from past one year facing an issue, as mentioned below.
    Whenever it rains, some amount of water get collected in bootspace of my punto. Last time when i gave it for serving, mentioned the same to servicing guys (Vecto, bangalore, mysore road) and while returning back from servicing mentioned they have fixed the same and charged me Rs.1500/- for the same, and later did not find the issue.

Friday and Saturday it rained in Bangalore and when i again checked the boot space of my punto, found at-least a litre of water logged.

Is some-one facing a similar issue. Please help.

Mods please suggest.
  2. pdash

pdash Regolare

Bangalore
    Mahadevapura
    Grande Punto 1.3
    You may need to do detail check of of the weather seal. and open the rear indicator light to see if there is any breakage in the seal. I cannot guess of anything else at this moment.
  3. basavaraj koti

basavaraj koti Novizio

bangalore
    Thanks for sharing the info
    Understood the rear indicator light, but what is "weather seal" and where will that be located ?
  4. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Regolare

any kind of water logging inside the car is tough to troubleshoot.

You may start with asking yourself the following questions

1) are there any after market fittings / job taken in the boot area of the car?
    2) Did you ever replace the rear glass of the car? (may be it is not stuck properly)
    3) whenever you discover the water logging , open the boot and check the black rubber lining Beading and see for any water mark or dampness
    4) fold the back seats to create enough space inside the cars rear seat ask someone to stand outside the car and spray water from all directions in the back. the person in can check from where the water is coming from!
    5) when the service center fixed the issue what did they change !! what did they fix or replace?

10 right questions can lead you to the answer.

BTW in case nothing else works & since this is a water seepage into the boot section of the car. you can also consider opening up the rubber plug in the boot so that the water does not clogg there and flows out immediately.
    kirenh likes this.
  5. pdash

pdash Regolare

Bangalore
    Mahadevapura
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Weather seal : black Rubber bidding which protects the outside water to enter. Do a detail check if any damage or cut.
    basavaraj koti likes this.
  6. kirenh

kirenh Regolare

Mumbai/Pune
    Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Hi Basavaraj,

I own a 2011 Punto & I had this issue of water getting collected below the Stepney. There was no indication from where the water was getting in. The whole area other than the area below the Stepney use to be dry. It was very difficult for them to check the problem. As an immediate & temperorary solution they put an hole in that area so that water is not retained. They had suggested me to leave the car with them for few days when it rains to check the issue, which I could not do. Finally the problem was checked using high pressure water jet and a person sitting inside when they found water was trickling thru the rear glass joint. They removed the glass and have refitted it with new sealant. I think with this the problem has got solved as I have not seen any dampness or water in any area in the boot after that.
    Regards
    Kiran
    basavaraj koti and pdash like this.
  7. basavaraj koti

basavaraj koti Novizio

bangalore
    Hi All,
    Thanks for all your responses.
    Last week had taken my punto to Vector motors, mysore road, they checked by spraying the water all over for 5 to 7 minutes, but did not find any water inside the boot space, so they have asked me to check back when it rains.
    Will keep posted
    --- Double Post Merged, May 7, 2015 ---
    Thanks for the update Kiran. I am also facing the same issue, but not insist to go with temporary solution as you did, looking for a permanent solution.