1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Radio Silence - can I sort this out myself?

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by Linear, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Linear

Linear Amatore

Thane
    Hi All,

Since the recent repair work on the A.C. in my Linea, I have noticed that the radio has gone silent. Music system plays CDs or USB songs no problem, but there is no sound on any of the radio stations.

I suspect the antenna wire must have got disconnected from the HU. If it is really that, I don't want to make a visit to A$$ just for it. Now my question is - can I reach it & connect it back?
  2. naveen2cool

naveen2cool Superiore

Chennai
    Are you getting some static noise atleast? when you auto select the radio stations by pressing the right button are you able to select the stations?
  3. Linear

Linear Amatore

Thane
    Yep, I'm getting static noise. I'm also able to select stations, but they are pre-stored. Haven't seen if it can scan stations.
  4. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Sounds very much like a disconnected antenna. Why not just pull the HU out and check? Should not take more than 5 minutes to fix the antenna back.

Rajan
    1 person likes this.
  5. Linear

Linear Amatore

Thane
    Can you do it just like that? and fit it back simply by pushing it? No special tools required?
  6. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Fitting it back is a simple push. Taking it out requires a tool of sorts.

This is the tool. (Rs. 2963 for that?? You gotta be kidding me :A )

You can make it. Just get the largest paper clip you can find. Not gem clips, ones that look like this

paperclip.jpg

Take out the handles and straighten the ends with a pair of pliers and viola, you just saved Rs.2963. I used a pair of 2.5 mm Allen keys, before making the paper clip contraption.

Rajan
    1 person likes this.
  7. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    or else find 4 small rods from the electrician who are using the same for the auto cop.
    1 person likes this.
  8. Linear

Linear Amatore

Thane
    Thanks Patchyboy & Rishi.

I tried this over this weekend using a wire, a thin screwdriver & a long nail - no luck. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I could feel a push at the end when the wires went fully in, but the HU would not budge. I gave it up after 4-5 tries. Maybe the wires were too thin - need to try with 2.5 mm wires.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Thanks Patchyboy & Rishi.

I tried this over this weekend using a wire, a thin screwdriver & a long nail - no luck. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I could feel a push at the end when the wires went fully in, but the HU would not budge. I gave it up after 4-5 tries. Maybe the wires were too thin - need to try with 2.5 mm wires.
  9. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    1 person likes this.
  10. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Go to local cycle wala. Purchase 4 spokes Rs.2 each. total rs.8 and you are done. Insert 4 spokes simultaneously and HU comes out. Put the antenna plug in and refit.
    5 people like this.