1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

radiator cooling fan not working without AC

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by punto11, Aug 25, 2014.

1. punto11

punto11 Amatore

assam
    hi
    i am a regular reader of this forum from assam and own a grade punto mjd active(july 2011 model) done approx 38000km.There is no FASS nearby and the tatafiat ass near me is useless. the tatas don't stock any fiat parts after the split up.Sometimes they simply refuge to attend a fiat car. So whenever a problem comes i will have to research on TFI and buy parts from 99rpm, kava etc. and work in a private garage or at home by myself.Now here i am with a weird problem searched the forum and i couldn't find a similar thread. here it goes the problem
    since its almost 3 years i decided to replace the coolant myself and asked on TFI, as usual Vijay_khasa replied with nice pictures. ordered paraflu up from 99rpm and went ahead to do it myself. after filling the coolant started the car and waited radiator fan to come up at full speed. car temperature gauge slowly increased to midway and stayed there for 25minutes but the fan never turn in. now my observations are
    1.the fan works with ac, ac cools well
    2.inially ac was not cooling well but after coolant change its good enough
    3.ac does blow hot air
    4.all the radiator hoses get hot almost equally
    5.the coolant level is same everyday
    6.both T06 and T07 relays for radiator fan low and high speed respectively are checked by me applying 12vdc and they work fine.t06 seems to works with ac.
    7.all fuses are ok
    8.couldnot remove coolant temperature sensor(hard to reach)
    9.No alarm from ecu
    now its clear that high speed mode of the radiator fan is not working.if the sensor(CTS) is dead, ecu would have thrown an error or commanded the fan to run all the time(limp mode)fuel economy of the car is also normal. does my car have an extremely cool engine? help me guys
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Is the temperature needle going above 50% level or esp. above 70% in short time. Like not after extensive running. There is a thermostat that triggers radiator fans, that should work perfectly along with relays for fan to kick in at perfect times.
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    I didn't quite get the issue.

Is the car overheating in normal driving?
  4. punto11

punto11 Amatore

assam
    no the temp needle always stay at 50% even at traffic and if I idle the engine for long time. It returns to zero after engine cools down
  5. gurjinder

Punjab
    Yup. That's what I had at the back of my mind.

The car is perfectly fine. If the fan does not come on after 25 minutes of idling but the car temperature stays normal when driving then all is good. The greater amount of heat is produced when the engine is working hard not when just idling.

Enjoy the ride :)
  6. punto11

punto11 Amatore

assam
    no overheating atleast according to the temp gauge, gurhinder. Is the coolant temp sensor half dead?
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    It gets confusing further. Does the temp needle go to zero with engine on or off. In that case it could be temp gauge related error and not an engine issue. So firstly check if fan triggers in time after engine heats up and later also check the temp gauge.

As Gurjinder suggests, in most probability engine is OK.
  8. punto11

punto11 Amatore

assam
    i hope so gurjinder. If the sensor is bad then the temp gauge in cabin will not show any readings.and in punto temperature sender and sensor is the same element i guess.what do you think? I have started normal daily use of the car
  9. gurjinder

Punjab
    As long as the car is driving fine and the temperature stays rock solid, don't worry about it. The car knows what it's doing. For e.g. at times the fans of the Linea go ridiculous/bonkers/ultra loud etc but that's all normal operation. Infact I miss the loud booming noise of the fans sometimes. Quite like it :)

Cheers.
    punto11 likes this.
  10. punto11

punto11 Amatore

assam
    guys, is it possible to test the both slow and faster fan speeds with obdii scanners?