1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Rack and Pinion Issues

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by varin11, Nov 8, 2011.

1. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    Any body faced rack and pinion issues in their car.My linea 2009 run about 56000 Kms have developed one as reported by TASS.There is lud Krr krr, tuk tuk soung sound on running.
  2. It could be gearbox float bush issue, I have the issue , planning to get it replaced.
    Mine comes only when going over speed breakers,but the origin of the sound is from center of engine bay.
  3. I had one, not due to wear and tear but after an accident and after the car came out of the A.S.S, little thud thud sound started coming from the steering while going over small potholes and it was found that steering rack was damaged and TASS got it replaced for me.. now my car is running good.
  4. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    The noise here is all the time .It starts with faint thud thud and increase to loud kr kr kr noise as it some metl scraping down. The noise doesn't come immediately after overnight parking, say after 10-15 mins of running.If i park for more than 2 hours in morning the noise again erupt after 10 mins of running otherwise it persist on continuous running.
  5. ranconteur

ranconteur Amatore

Delhi
    I am also having a faint tak-tak sound when i turn my steering . It does not come while rotating the steering on a stationary car . And also when i turn steering very slowly it does not come . I dont know whats making this sound
    And the sound from engine bay is of shocker mounts (elastic pads) . Get them replace in warranty and the car will be butter smooth.
  6. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    Took my car to wasan. Issues link rod and rack.My car is in extended warranty so it will only cover rack
  7. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    got the rack and pinon changed under extended warranty from wasan kndivili.The steeind now is like makhan and the noise in gone.The only noise left is that of elastic pads.
  8. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    why didnt they change elastic pads also under warranty?
  9. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    shams elastic pads are covered under extended warranty only till 35k kms.
  10. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    yap elastic pads are not covered under extended warranty if clocked over 35000 kms. I got them changed last year under warranty but they say its become bad. I must have run 11000 Kms after the change.The service advisor was talking about some new generation pads. All previous pads are defective I think may be design fault that they wear out so fast.