1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Race chip tuning box for linea 1.3 MJD.. Is it advisable?

Discussion in 'Engine and Drivetrain' started by manasmadaan, Apr 25, 2011.

1. jishnu

jishnu Superiore

Bangalore
    I do agree with this point!! The Tuning Box only changes the Signals to the injectors, not the ECU!!
  2. guys lag is gone in my da's logan. you drive a normal logan and drive this you will feel the difference. there is no lag at all...
    this must be due to the reason that pete's box was put at the time odo was 30kms that is before the breakin of the engine. i did find lag when we tried this in another logan done 30k kms..

any idea for tis difference??? you dont believe we can meet sometime and you can see for yourself
  3. Axn

Axn Regolare

Delhi
    Gurjinder, I think that may not be completely true. I once tried Petes box for few kilometers when my friends car @~5000km. It was actually jumping from standstill and was truly more fun to drive. It of-course may be due to my new found joy with this new toy or may be i was revving. But the truth is all sluggishness had vanished. But when we happen to see that black plume as if the car was on fire I immediately threw it away. The workshop owner was also in our car at that time and he was a huge guy. So with three of us, the car was somewhat loaded as well.

May be you can throw some more light on the subject.

PS- The box setting was on the minimum (or whatever that is called) and not on sport.
  4. drifter

drifter Regolare

London/Mumbai
    What you are talking about has nothing to do with turbo lag. It has got to do with how the turbo spools up. The results might be similar, but are of a different kind of foundation.

Of course a tuning box will give in most cases some more power, but this is not the way it should be done as much more parameters need setting than just the fueling. The more modern ECUs have the fueling controlled by a number of mapping tables, which can override each other (not one overriding the others!). There are smoke limiter tables, torque limiter tables, air fuel ratio tables etc. over the others. This makes it quite complex to deal with to get the fueling correct without long term problems. The re-map can cater for this, which the tuning box never can.

The reason why it is smoking is because the setting is not adapted to the setting needed for clean running. If it does smoke excessively for prolonged periods it will slowly kill the turbo.
  5. I have tried TMC box, it works fine, but upon hard acceleration black smoke comes out.
  6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    @Axn

Turbo lag is a mechanical factor. Simply said - the higher revs needed to spool the turbo up to its working speeds. The time period to wait for the revs to reach at the point where the turbo pumps out useable/peak boost is what we all know as turbo lag.

Tuning boxes are the most crude forms of tuning in my opinion- keep dumping more fuel w/ disregard to the optimum Air Fuel ratio. A proper remap is anyday a better option.

There is only one way a box can reduce lag.
    By dumping in more fuel even when off boost ( More fuel , more exhaust, more pressure, faster turbo spool , lesser lag).
    But at what price - more unburnt fuel , more smoke, more deposits in the turbo , lesser turbo life. And a choked catalyst too.

These are the boxes from which we definitely need to stay away from.

Im not against tuning. But im for smart tuning rather than this form of tuning.

And on the Sport setting on the box - im pretty sure its gonna dump even more fuel in the engine.

Gurjinder.
  7. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    even without the tuning box in stock form the 1.3 mjds do smoke. Ask your friend to drive behind you and in any gear suddenly floor the accelerator.
    your mjd will smoke for sure.

if this is the same thing termed as smoke on hard acceleration with tuning box, then i would say this happens on stock car too.
  8. well. smoke or no smoke.. if the tuning box doesnt eliminate turbo lag, then its not for me.. As for the performance boost after 2000 rpm, i already have no prob with that in its stock form. after 2000 rpm, the car runs like a dream. Its only in the lower rpm that it lags. So if no boost at lower rpm, i do nt think its worth it.
    Thanks for the input guys :)
  9. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    yes true, remap can eliminate lag. not the chip. the chip can speed up in the low rpms a bit though as it supplies more fuel.

i dint wait for 15000 to change the oil in my linea. did it as soon as it touched 7500. the engine works butter smooth.
    and today she goes ballastic in the city. i can never ask for more power as whatever she produces needs to be controlled very carefully.

once there is perfect remap solution which is proven on indian roads for a long period there is no looking into these chips.

10. For 90BHP Linea, you may live with out a Remap or Tuning box, but 76 BHP Punto needs a Remap,if you drive swift you will notice that car keep's building up momentum even at 3600RPM with stock filter(No AIR),where are in Punto it feels suffocated and drop in power after 3200 RPM.

A Remap done for Punto will it increase the power band? if yes upto what RPM? with the stock filter?will it improve the refinement of the engine?
    -Sat
    Last edited: May 27, 2011