1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Race Chip installed in a Aug 2009 Model Punto(Odo-67230Km)

Discussion in 'Engine and Drivetrain' started by pradeepsangwan, Oct 27, 2013.

1. pradeepsangwan

pradeepsangwan Amatore

Bhiwani, Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi Guys,

I have imported standard version of race chip for my punto and today finally i have installed this. I was thinking to buy this when i was in UK but didn't buy at that time. Now i have asked one of my friend who is there to send it for me.

Effort to install:
    Very Simple and just 20 min task to do this.
    1)Make sure ignition is off and all doors of car are in shut state,
    2)You need only a screw driver to remove the Engine Cover and below you can find the Diesel Rail.
    3) Just remove the 3 pin connector at the left end of rail and connect the Harness(which have come with Race Chip) to the Engine connector and the Existing pin to the Harness(which have come with Race Chip).
    4)Now connect the glow indicator to the harness to verify if there is no residual current.
    5)Now insert car key to the ignition switch and turn to ignite ang check the indicator if it light in led is in constant glow state.
    6) If in glow state , now turn off the car and remove the indicator and put the race chip and tight all screws.
    7) Tie up the harness and place your chip box at a place which not too hot(its very difficult to find such a place in engine compartment).
    8) Start your car and check the display for error codes; If no than congratulation you have installed it properly .

Experience:
    I have kept the box in default setting .
    Car is butter smooth and turbo lag is reduced and honestly speaking i am not even feeling any lag; I am sure many of you don't believe this how a tuning box has removed lag; But you need to drive it to actually feel it. Feeling change in car pickup and behavior but need to take it for long drive to feel the ultimate RUSH.

Concern:

1) Tuning box opted by me is standard version and water splash proof only. I have covered the chip with a polythene to make it water proof. Is it ok to keep it as is while going for a car wash or do i need to remove this before going fo a wash....Need suggestion for any better way to me it water proof.
    2) Tuning box has become hot after driving this for 30-40 kms... Is this normal? please advice.
  2. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Pradeep,

Great DIY.
    What if Step #5 is not the case? It would have been self explanatory if you have posted the pics for each step too. Can you do it now?
  3. I have used tuning boxes before , I wouldn't recommend them to any one.
  4. govindankvs

govindankvs Novizio

US
    US
    Grande Punto 1.3
    1) Not recommended to cover it with Polythene. Just leave it as-is. it needs to dissipate heat and water vapor can cause issues if covered.
    2) yes it does get hot. Where have you placed it? I had placed it above my battery(away from the engine) and tied with plastic fasteners in my Figo.

- - - Merged Post - - -

You mean RaceChip?

- - - Merged Post - - -

2nd question in the FAQ might answer that.

http://www.racechip.com/support/after-sales-questions/questions-regarding-installation/common-rail/
  5. pvgeorge

pvgeorge Novizio

Trivandrum
    Hi
    I have installed standard Racechip in my Punto 75 HP and kept it in the default position. However I m not seeing much of a difference in the power or pick up ( had been using the default setting of DB1). had anyone changed the setting to a higher value and whats the impact on power and mileage?

Note: I have ultragauge also installed on the machine and the Torque value displayed never shown a value higher than 150 ( that's the peak that I could see). So is it that I am not fully utilizing my already available 197 NM that comes as default and hence seeing no difference? ( I keep shifting to higher gears at 2500 rpm)

Thanks and Regards,
    George V
  6. pradeepsangwan

pradeepsangwan Amatore

Bhiwani, Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hey George you will not feel the exceptional difference in the pickup in the default setting but you will definitely feel that there is difference in the turbo lag which almost negligible after the installation and difference in the gear ratio. Mine is a 2009 model punto which is having severe turbo lag in the default factory setting but I have felt that in newer puntos turbo lag is less as compared to the 2009 model (any expert can correct me). I have never checked with any gauge like what are the current bhp and torque after installing Racechip .. but its still under the hood and I have already travelled around 20000 km on racechip...I am not liking the cars behavior in hills now as its not pulling the way it was pulling earlier without racechip.
    prabhjot likes this.
  7. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    hi pradeep,
    hows your car running now on race chip.any fuel efficiency drop ?.
    please post a short review after using it.
  8. pradeepsangwan

pradeepsangwan Amatore

Bhiwani, Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi Ganges,
    My Car is still doing very good, just 500 km back i went for timing chain changes at 81000km. I have installed race chip around meter reading at 67230. So far i am enjoying this.

Yes, i have felt difference in fuel efficiency,
    Before installing race chip:
    In city efficiency: 14km/ltr
    on Highway efficiency:20 kmpl mostly cruising at 110kmph
    After Race chip:
    In city: its not giving more than 11.5 km/ltr
    On Highway: increased to 23kmpl using race chip mostly cruising at 110kmph

may be my daily local commuting is now reduced a lot like 25 km per day. So that can be a reason for the drop in efficiency with in city.
    My understanding is this depends on your driving style
    Highway driving is better using race chip car pulling more freely on highways.
    Hill driving is better in the default factory setting without race chip.

I have never checked 0-100 figures..but my gut feeling is its faster than stock setting car as we also own a stock setting 2012 model punto and this 2009 model feels peppier than 2012 model(which actually i even felt when 2009 model runs on stock setting ;) :)).
    Ganges likes this.
  9. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    HiPradeep,
    Thanks for indepth review.
    what might be the reason for fuel efficiency less in city driving as compared to the highway ? My car has done 1 lakh 20K Kms running so it will be fine right to run on the chip. ?
    pradeepsangwan likes this.
  10. pradeepsangwan

pradeepsangwan Amatore

Bhiwani, Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hello Ganges,
    I am not very sure what can be the reason of low mileage but as my daily commute is 25 km in almost bumper to bumper traffic, so that can be the reason.

I have tried all 3 available performance settings as per the racechip manual but first 2 are fine in third performance setting i can listen a humming sound (i guess this is from turbo). when i reverted this to any of the other 2 settings .. i was not able to listen any such sound again. So now i am again back to default race chip setting.
    I am not expert on these performance modification stuff, so i cannot guarantee the impacts of the usage of this modification.
    Sat-chit-anda .. Always oppose any such modification .. so probably he might be having some previous good/ bad experience. So he can suggest here. But i have explained all which i felt during my usage of this performance kit.
    Ganges likes this.