1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Quick Lane Change test in Punto

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by renlouis, Sep 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. renlouis

renlouis Amatore

Aleppey
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Friends, I remember one quick lane change test conducted by Overdrive and is available on YouTube. They rated punto as bad performer. In the video punto on quick lane change the rear of the car skids/drags around and does not make the test. Other like Figo, Swift, Vista, Wagon R beautifully passes the test! What could be the problem?
    1. Punto's wider rear tyres?
    2. Longer wheel base?
    3. Big ground clearance?
    4. Insufficient tyre air pressure?
    5. Or the guy's unprofessional driving style?

Or in combination of above things?

Or anything else???

Since Fiat cars boast of its vehicle dynamics, this is alarming. Also Fiat vehicles sold in India do not have electronic stability control yet.

Any ideas friends? I write this since I guess I heard a tyre squeal from rear end on a quick lane change on the highway just at about 40kmphr! I recently upgraded tyres to Aceleres 195/60R15 on Linea rims.
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Kindly post this Youtube link that you speak of before we can allow this thread to proceed further.

PM me when you have the link. Locking thread in the meanwhile.
    nkrishnap and zenwalker like this.
  3. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Can you post the link to the video please ? I am unable to find it.

I have not seen the video but I do not think there is anything *alarming*. The same cars that are passing this quick lane change test shatter into pieces in case of an accident. What would you prefer? A car that changes lane quickly (as per some magazine. The authenticity of the test is completely unknown. Overdrive India is no testing authority) or a car that keeps it occupants safe?

Have you ever heard a Punto owner complain or get into trouble because he/she was not able to change lanes quickly?

Let's not read too much into these things.
    mangeshtendulkar and nkrishnap like this.
  4. amogh

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks @Murphy_Fiat for sending the video link

Start the video at 3:00 minutes

To be honest: I take away nothing from that test and I see a lot of discrepancies
    1. First and foremost : AFAIK : emergency lane change happens at the same speed. That's how cars are tested globally. Here they are clearly doing an emergency braking and then trying to steer the car. That is not emergency lane change
    2. The videos of all the cars are not shown. I can also see that the guys are slaming on the brakes and at the same time trying to steer the car.
    3. The ABS bit that he said wasn't very clear to me.
    4. Emergency lane change test will tell us "How safe these cars are really are!". Really Overdrive? Really ??
    5. They say "Weight, tyres and steering feel of a car make a big impact". They haven't explained the logic behind it.
    6. The Jazz they say is "fantastic" and "winnder of the test" but in the video it hits the barrier o_O
    I would give this video a big "pass".

Amogh
    renlouis likes this.
  5. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    As per the video, I saw a Punto doing a rear end slide.

I used to do that on gravel in my college days, when I would imagine being Colin McRae.

That is about all the conclusion I can draw from the video.

Cheers.
    DRIV3R and renlouis like this.
  6. pv_krish

pv_krish Regolare

Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    There is a big deal of contradiction in what I see from the video. The car that handles best are the poor performer in the lane change test. o_O

If I observe clearly, the punto used was not a fully loaded one, meaning it did not have ABS and its obvious to skid when the brakes are slammed. This can happen to any car and we do not have the authenticity of the variants used in other brands.

Also, I do not know why all car reviews are totally biased in project a negative image of FIAT, be it magazines or car shows. How do we know if these are fabricated or not?

These are my opinions, others might feel free to reject or oppose it.
    renlouis likes this.
  7. Murphy_Fiat

Murphy_Fiat Superiore

Trivandrum
    Trivandrum
    Linea T-Jet
    Yes the Total Show made just for Honda Jazz.
    renlouis likes this.
  8. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Even the car dimensions and the wheel base with other features do add to the behavioral dynamics of the car.
  9. amogh

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I am locking this thread since the forum really does not have the bandwidth for such non-sense.
    kedarbendre, DRIV3R, pdash and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.