1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Question on Diesel engine

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Bharath Balasubramanian, Sep 5, 2015.

1. Bharath Balasubramanian

Bharath Balasubramanian Timido

Hyderabad
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Thanks all...

I have been driving cars for about 10 years now and 9 of those have been with Marutis. It is only in the last one year that I tried a different brand and it was quite an eye opener. The door thuds(even after a year), the torque spreads(drives like an automatic), the timeless design, interiors and much more have been pleasant surprises along the way. I have always loved my machines and have taken very good care of them. Perhaps the Europeans cars do set the benchmarks in most aspects.

No specific anxieties or complaints so far... But I guess we are living in interesting times because we seem to be inching toward an era of affordable performance cars in India and that will only get more exciting with time.

I would very gladly switch to a Fiat if they give me something like an Aegea...

Just one question: this is my first time with a diesel engine. There was a situation where on an upward slope, due to sudden slowing down, had to downshift to 2 and floor the pedal really hard to keep the engine from stalling. There was obvious strain on the engine but as the car was speeding up I saw blackish smoke in my rear view mirror. Is this normal?

Thanks
    Bharath
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    It is normal if it puffs out smoke once in a while. But if it does so too freqently either black or white or any other perceptible colour, its probably good to get it checked. Take it for a long continous spin and see if the smoke reduces. Sometimes old residual soot can also accumulate and break loose. What is the ODO and how old is the car. You used it for a year, was it new?
  3. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    White/blue smoke is not a healthy sign.
  4. Abhinav Sharma

Abhinav Sharma Novizio

Nagpur
    Nagpur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    You will always notice black smoke in fast acceleration as its very common in diesel but as RPM return to 2000 u ll not seen this.
  5. Bharath Balasubramanian

Hyderabad
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Thanks all for the replies...

My car is 8000 kms and a year old. I get the smoke only when I completely floor the pedal on an upward slope on the second gear. Otherwise no...

regards
    Bharath
  6. harryaviator

harryaviator Regolare

kochi
    kochi
    Linea 1.3
    don't worry, its nothing to worry about. just ensure that you don't floor your throttle below the turbo kick in rpm and you will be good. its just a matter of getting used to driving a turbo diesel
  7. Bharath Balasubramanian

Hyderabad
    Fiat Enthusiast
    That is a learning!!! Do not push the engine hard till it is beyond the Turbo Kick in rpm. Thanks for that...
  8. harryaviator

harryaviator Regolare

kochi
    kochi
    Linea 1.3
    that's correct. kkeping the engine in the turbo range will give you tons of power
  9. XLR8er

XLR8er Amatore

Pune
    Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Completely agree. Diesel engines (Especially MJDs and the FIAT gearbox combo) will demand more time to master. ideally you should up shift from 1st gear to 2nd around 2000 RPM if not more. above than that will not do you any good.