1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Query to Upgrade 14" to 15" Wheel & Tyre

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by manojnambiar, May 21, 2012.

1. manojnambiar

manojnambiar Novizio

Bangalore
    Hi guys I had upgraded/increased GC of my MJD,,, I find now the 14" wheel size is too small in its wheel cavity and also i feel when i drive at 3 digit speed thrs an increase in tyre sound/ airdrag probably from front.( which I didnt felt b4 GC upgrade).. i feel basicaly its due airdrag in the increased empty space of wheel cavity.(this is only my assumption). My MJD runs on 175/70R14 and coverd 350000kms....now looking to change my tyres....

My query is simple..
    • looking to upgrade to 15"....Is it possible...?.. any technical issues,,?..if so can anyone pls suggest me the spec of alloy/steel rims to go for...?
    • Pls suggest me a good Tyre spec...Mechiline,yokoma,etc... looking for less noise, comfort drive and good looks..
    Pls dont suggest me go thru the previous threads.....i had gone thru and also thru net....confused....:confused:
  2. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

The fiat comes in 98 pcd alloys and they are quite hard to find.. and good design are hard to find..

I would be easier to go for the stock punto and linea alloys.. they would fit fine.. there are after market alloys with 98+100 pcd..
    but i'm not sure how good they are when it comes to high speeds...

as for the tire i hear Yoko's are good.. they satisfy all youur wants..
  3. soccerfan

soccerfan Regolare

Kochi
    If you dont want to spend money on 15" rims, You can go for 185/70 r14 tyres. Easily fits on the OE steel wheels.
    You get a lot of options in this size. XM1+, Yoko A-drive (best VFM), MRF ZLO, Apollo Aceelere etc

XM1+ would be the costliest. Very silent tyre, good wet trip. But dry grip is not so good
    A-drove - VFM tyre. Less noise (noisier than xm1+), good dry grip. wet grip is not that good
    zlo - good VFM tyres. good grip and less noise.

I would recommend xm1+ if money is not an issue. A-drive or zlo if you want more VFM
  4. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Bridgestone G3 potenza is also very goods
    Its noisy than Michelin but gives you real good grip
  5. puntosat

puntosat Superiore

Bangalore
    I have 185/70 R 14 Yoko A-drives...superb value for money ..I have already abused it for 5000 kms in worst possible terrains...but still its very good..

Slightly noisier compared to Michelin...
  6. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    Wonder what advantage it would be using 185/70/14 on steel wheels vs 185/70/14 on alloys. Any comments?
  7. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    AT this point the difference would only come down to steel or alloys..
    Alloys in general are less prone to corrosion and some are lighter than the same size of steel wheels (Technically that's how it should be but not always)
    But for Indian conditions I would say its always best to stick to steel wheels as its relatively easier to repair and in the worst case cheaper to replace than alloys.
    Alloys for indian super smooth roads are really a bane if you ask me.
    The FE, handling ,heat dissipation and such things can go either way but only marginally such that it's hard to figure out the change.
    1 person likes this.
  8. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    Another question (I had also posted this in another thread but didnt get the answers I was looking for). I have no GC issues with my existing 165/80/R14 tyres, given my driving style. Now, if I switch over to 185/70/R14, there is a very slight reduction in GC. In practical terms, would this be noticeable?
  9. manojnambiar

manojnambiar Novizio

Bangalore
    Thanx bro, most probably i might settle dwn with OE rims of 14''... looking at our roads (my frequent drive to kerala on horrible roads) invsting on alloys is still a dilema to me...... let me checkout xm1+.......
  10. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Alloys or steel wheels if you drive over a hump like punto is a monster truck then it will never survive ;-)
    having said that steel is better simply because there are more shops that know how to fix a steel wheel than alloys.
    secondly, its cheaper to replace should there be a major damage.