1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

query regarding image distortion in the front windshield glass.

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Prithpal Singh, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Prithpal Singh

Prithpal Singh Timido

Ldh
    Punjab
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Dear friends,
    I hav purchased punto a year ago mjd 1.3 dynamic, with in a few days i did notice a major fault inthe front windshield of the car.
    At an incline about 2 inches above the wiper blade i found objects being doubled or ghost image formation . any object viewd in that range appeared to b doubled. eg two potholes instead of one
    two sets of lights instead of one.
    i took up the matter with the dealer it took me 3 months to get the problem highlighted and accepted to by fiat and get a repacement of the front windshield.
    the relaced glass is also with a problem in the same area but now the image get broad on ascending an incline and narrows on descend.
    i highlighted this the very day after the new glass was fit and said that i was not happy with this new glass.
    since then i kept meeting the fiat dealer guys and asking for a solution.i was told by the then manager and service mangaer that fiat had recieved similar complaints from various customer and would initate a recall.They asked me to wait.
    since september 2014 i have been waiting for an answer and driving witha faulty windshield.
    Two days ago a technician from fiat vistied the dealer ship and i was asked to bring the car.
    The person who was there an arrogant individual just took alook and said that the mirror was fine.
    i asked him to take another look he concluded in 2 mins that the problem does not exist from his angle of vision but problem could be existing for me due to my height and my siting position.(highly ridiculous):wtf:
    his argument is that he dosnt find a problem with the windshield.
    I request the members here to highlight me on how can a company say that their front windshield glass will give different images to drivers depending on their height and seating position.
    If it is a reality then y did Fiat not give any information about height clause when i purchased the car as i was 5.3 that very day and even today.
    I have had many people look thru the vry windshiled mirror and many have found a problem with it regardless of their hieght and sitting position.
    Any one can pls help me with further course of action.
  2. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    @Prithpal Singh

Thats one strange problem to be reported on the forum. I hope you are not referring to the dashboard reflection right? Can you post some pics if possible of the issue?

If the issue is there in the same area in the replaced glass too, then it must have something to do with that batch of windshields being used. Did you cross check the make of the windshield in your car with either an older Punto or newer Punto?
  3. Prithpal Singh

Prithpal Singh Timido

Ldh
    Punjab
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @ghodlur
    No my friend i am not referring to the dashboard reflection..it is a problem where the objects viewed get expanded or contracted depending on the ascend or descend of the car. especially 1 to 3 inches above the wiper blades.
    I have found this problem in 7 out of 10 cars that available at the dealership for repair at the point of time.

As far as I have been able to investigate the matter i have found out that a certain batch of windshield glass had a problem,
    but only were replaced when ever a customer complained. just as my first windshield was replaced after a lot of persuasion.

Major customers who have theses faulty windshield either have not noticed the problem or didnot pursue it seriously.
    In a meet with the autoglass vendor i was informed that the problem was with the design of fiat and they could do nothing about it.
    Fiat says it has bought up the issue with vendor and they can do nothing about it.

After replacing my windshield with a bit lesser faulty glass fiat wants me to be satisfied with it. I have been waiting for their recall since 9 months.I was assured by the dealer that the problem wud be addressed . Now fiat seems to have backed out.

I want them to initiate a complete recall and apologise to all customers for the inferior quality.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 12, 2015 ---
    @ghodlur
    No my friend i am not referring to the dashboard reflection..it is a problem where the objects viewed get expanded or contracted depending on the ascend or descend of the car. especially 1 to 3 inches above the wiper blades.
    I have found this problem in 7 out of 10 cars that available at the dealership for repair at the point of time.

As far as I have been able to investigate the matter i have found out that a certain batch of windshield glass had a problem,
    but only were replaced when ever a customer complained. just as my first windshield was replaced after a lot of persuasion.

Major customers who have theses faulty windshield either have not noticed the problem or didnot pursue it seriously.
    In a meet with the autoglass vendor i was informed that the problem was with the design of fiat and they could do nothing about it.
    Fiat says it has bought up the issue with vendor and they can do nothing about it.

After replacing my windshield with a bit lesser faulty glass fiat wants me to be satisfied with it. I have been waiting for their recall since 9 months.I was assured by the dealer that the problem wud be addressed . Now fiat seems to have backed out.

I want them to initiate a complete recall and apologise to all customers for the inferior quality.
    @ghodlur

sorry for the double post ......slow net......pics do not show the exact prob due to auto correction in cameras, but i will try.
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  4. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    can you upload pic/video of the windshield.
  5. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Write to Fiat India regarding the issue. Drop a note on their FB page too.
  6. Prithpal Singh

Prithpal Singh Timido

Ldh
    Punjab
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @ Ghodur and all Friends

As for the pics of the issue it is not possible to catch them it cam(tried it a lot) as todays lenses change focus to corrsct images...but problem visble to human eye.
    Written to Fiat India and posted on FB too but as luck would have it before their inspection the windshield got a crack by a small pebble hit from a car travelling front of me on the highway. So Fiat says it was a good windshiled but damaged by customer:grumpy:
    The Dealer agrees that there is a quality issue but the Fiat Personnel do not agree. The distorted wavery image is present in all Fiat cars but varies in percentage.
    So after the denial of glass replacement by Fiat I had it replaced on my expense, as it was difficult to drive with distorted and cracked glass.
    The problem is the new Glass installed @ Fiat ,by Fiat genunine spares is worse than the previous two .

It is very distracting to drive at night with the incoming light and at day I have a very distracted image produced in the driver side.Passenger view area produces double image :banghead::banghead:
    I am pursuing the same issue again with Fiat and I am tired of it...:sour::grumpy:

I do not understand
    Why is Fiat taking so much time to rectify the problem of faulty spares?
    In the mean time who will be responsible for any mishap due to faulty spares from Fiat?
    And what happens if the windshield is affected as before?

I hope Fiat does not expect me to park my car in the garage till the issue is sorted??
  7. Biraj

Biraj Novizio

Ghaziabad
    Linea T-Jet
    A pic of windshield with the area you are describing marked, will make it easier for us to understand. One inch above the wiper is too close to the level of dashboard. It ideally shouldn't be in your line of sight.

You might want to get an independent assessment from windshield experts. They will probably give you a more impartial observation.
    Prithpal Singh likes this.
  8. Prithpal Singh

Prithpal Singh Timido

Ldh
    Punjab
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks for reply Biren,
    I tried to capture it in still and video clips but the distortion is not visible in the clips if you are nearby or any place in Punjab we can meet and u can have a look at it.
    for an idea I can state an eg of gov transport buses have sub standard glasses which give a bumpy and wavery image when seen through.the only problem is it is in driver range.
  9. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Check the image I have attached below, Cur and 000 are captured 2 times.
    Its noticeable in many cars which have glasses slanted beyond a certain angle. Never had a problem due to it in 6 years and countless night drives its hardly noticeable when driving.

20151021_210627 (2).jpg