1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Query: Delhi - Mumbai

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by shikhar10882, Aug 17, 2012.

1. You are most welcome @kedarbendre...
    Just to give you an update of how the picture looks so far...
    1. Will be taking the NH8 GQ...
    2. Will be getting the first service done before the departure
    3. Plan to travel from early morning, say 4:30-5:00 am to early evening, say 4:30 - 5:00 pm both the days, to be followed by ... A relaxing shower, an early dinner and an early night at Udaipur and Mumbai respectively...
    4. Shall be accompanied by parents on 'to' journey, while wify and my daughter (8 monther) shall join in return journey!!!
    Rest, will keep you posted...
    BTW, just out of curiosity, as your location reads UK, will you be flying down to Delhi and drive on to Mumbai... Or what???
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  2. Another finding... additional inputs required:
    While I was finalizing my route from my place to destination on google maps, the google advised me:

To leave NH 8 after Meswo Dam and proceed on to SH 5 towards Tintoi. At Modasa, it puts me on SH 59 and going thru Dhansura -> Bayad -> Kapadvanj -> Khatalal meet back on NH8 (and not expressway) at Nadiad.

While,
    As from the names of the roads, the following route sounded better.... (No experience at all... only from the sound of it):

https://maps.google.co.in/maps/ms?m...&ll=23.725012,73.630371&spn=1.252181,2.859192

Seeking advice please.

Spl. request @Johnny Sir!!
  3. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    This is one route where you can put away your map GPS etc. It is very well signposted. The only problem with Google maps is that it shows you what it considers the shortest route - not necessarily the best route. So, some discretion is advised while using Google maps.

The delhi-jaipur route is pretty straightforward. Just short of Jaipur catch the bypass which is to the left. The bypass then crosses over the NH. For the exact signposting & distance, please refer my 'Greater NOIDA to Mumbai' thread.

Once you are on the bypass, just follow the signs for Ajmer. Just short of Ajmer, you have to take the bypass to the left. It goes to Chituargarh, Bhilwara, Nasirabad. Just follow this road all the way to Udaipur - you do not touch any big towns. As you hit Udaipur, take the bypass which shows Ahmedabad/Mumbai. This is to the left and is not such a nice road, about 25 km or so. Then you are back on the 4 lane to Ahmedabad. As you reach Gandhinagar the road becomes two lane. After that there is a left turn which is signposted for Mumbai. Follow the signposting till you hit the national Expressway towards Vadodara. After that just follow the big signs for Mumbai. The bridge at Baruch is a choke point. Other than that it is high speed all the way. It is a very enjoyable drive. Further tips are in my thread.

Regards
    Johnny
  4. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    I drove on the potholed bad stretches of Udaipur bypass in 2010 and 2011. I shudder to think of my plan to drive on this stretch in another couple of months.
  5. @J. Ravi & @Johnny Sir:
    I am honored (in lack of a better word) to have the legends on this thread! Thank you very much for your inputs.
    I shall be my driving my Linea and shall be keeping my fingers crossed not to scrap her...
    There are three areas of concerns in this journey so far:
    1. From Chittorgarh to Udaipur... Heard there are alot of trucks parks on both sides of the road if you hit it at the wrong time...
    2. Udaipur by-pass - as just pointed out by Johnny Sir and Confirmed by J. Ravi Sir
    3. The Baruch Bridge!!!
    1 person likes this.
  6. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    There are no problems from Chitaurgarh to Udaipur. It is a good road.

The Udaipur bypass itself is bad. When I came down in April the road surface was not too bad. It was the fact that it is a two lane, and that you have a lot of truck traffic, that makes it irritating. Since it is about 25 kms, just grin and bear it.

The problem with the Baruch bridge is that it is two lane, and the roads on either side are 4 lane. The natural 'Indian anarchy' under such conditions is what creates the problem. Once again; patience is the only solution.

Regards
    Johnny
  7. @Johnny Sir:
    The patience is not a problem when you are in a Fiat, as being in the car itself is such a pleasure.
    The main problem is - the nuisance created by traffic that puts the Italian beauty in the danger... as mentioned (on a lighter side) in the thread http://www.teamfiat.co.in/exteriors-body/6973-give-me-mantra-absolutely-lighter-side.html
    It is actually hilarious to see the people rushing to destination while being in a Fiat, you are enjoying the journey equally well, if not better than being at home!!!
    1 person likes this.
  8. Now there is another thing standing before me and i am not able to conclude on that one...
    As told earlier, my companions on my journey from Ghaziabad to Mumbai will be my parents, while my return journey will be with wife.
    The thing is, my parents live in Agra.
    While, (thanks to support from this thread participants, ESPECIALLY JOHNNY SIR) the GQ / NH 8 has been finalized as my journey route, what I am confused about is, will it be more prudent to:
    1. Call my parents at Ghaziabad and start the journey from here? or
    2. Go to Agra, stay for the night there, and from next day start from there to Jaipur / NH 8 thru NH 11 (screen shot of the route suggested by Google Maps as under)

Screen Shot 2012-08-22 at 8.29.13 PM.jpg

or 3. Proceed from Agra directly to Udaipur from the following suggested route (maybe shorter by some 40 odd mins... but I am more skeptical about this route), the google maps say the following route:

Screen Shot 2012-08-22 at 8.48.26 PM.jpg

Any traveller of these routes???
  9. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    I drove in my Linea from Jaipur to Agra in 2010. Jaipur to Rajasthan border comprised excellent 4 lane road which formed the major stretch. After entering UP, it was okayish 2 lane road. I don't have any idea of the alternative route.
    1 person likes this.
  10. Thanks a lot @J. Ravi Sir!
    I have been on Agra - Bharatpur route a couple of times myself. As you have pointed out, the road on this stretch was 2 lanes. The road condition was rather good the last time I went, which was June 11, rather felt like freshly constructed but the heavy vehicle traffic was causing chaos. But if the roads from Rajasthan border to Jaipur are good, and I plan to commence my journey from Agra at early hours (around 4:00 am), i seem to be skewing towards comforting parents by avoiding their extra journey of Agra - Ghaziabad.
    1 person likes this.