1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Queries before i make up to purchase my first car

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by prasvista, Dec 12, 2010.

1. prasvista

prasvista

Chennai
    Hi Everyone,

I am a new user and i have few questions. i am not like others who know enough to talk about vehicles. So you can consider me to be a starter. I would like to buy a new car and before i register myself to TFI, i did some analysis and decided to buy FIAT PUNTO 1.2 EMOTION.

Clarifications:

1. Every one complains about A/C in Punto and i have personally experienced it and understood that for such a spacious car the A/C throw is not sufficient. Did FIAT overcome it?
    2. As we all are concerned about mileage, i heard that PUNTO diesel gives 16 to 18(city) Kms, but with PETROL it gives only 12 - 13 Kms. Is it true?
    3. One other important factor to consider while purchasing is re-sale value. I am not sure if i can give my PUNTO after 7 or 8 years for a good cost when compared to others like HYUNDAI and MARUTI...
    4. Does 1.2L Emotion has ABS with EBD as i don't want to pay more for accessories?
    5. Turning radius is 5.4 which i guess is more when compared to others, how comfortable it will be while taking a round turn?
    6. If u compare with Hyundai and Swift you can see the Torque value and HP is minimum. How does it impact my Driving in city? - I may be wrong as i don't have idea on technical aspects.I guess even the number of valves is 2 while others have 4 valves that gives better pick up (power)
    7. My friend suggest me to go for a Hyundai i20. But comparing Punto I20 is costly and the spare parts of hyundai as we all know is costly. so if we talk about maintenance cost i guess Hyundai will make me pay more than PUNTO.

Despite these Questions i still admire at PUNTO. I am perplexed... Help me Understand...

:)
    Prasvista
  2. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    1. I leave it upto Punto 1.2 owners to comment. FIAT has now launched a variable motor compressor for ACs of their petrol cars. It is supposed to have taken care of AC complaints.

2. There are no concerns about mileage of Punto. Most others (Polo 1.2, i20 1.2 etc give same mileage of 11-13 kmpl only).

3. Definitely resale of Fiat cars is not better but we can't say what would be the trend 7-8 years later. But IMO, resale is important only if you plan to keep it for less than 4-5 years. Remember, do not overlook the ride quality and comfort of a car worth 7-8 years just by being worried about resale after such a long time (2017-2018). Indian car scene may be completely different by that time and todays's cars (Swift, i20, Punto) might have dirt cheap resale.

4. 1.2 does not have ABS and EBD. 1.4 Emotion has ABS/EBD and seat height adjustment.

5. One adjusts to longer turning radius soon. Do not worry. Even sedans have similar turning radius.

6. BHP= pushing power/top speed.
    torque= pulling power/acceleration.
    In Punto 1.2, peak torque comes at 2500rpm only so that city driveability is very good.

7. i20 is a good car as the middle variants are well equipped. Magna variant has climate control (though AC of i20 has failed the Indian summer test leaving i20 owners sweaty) and music system with USB and AUX port, sportz variant has alloys, 1 airbag and steering controls.

Tip: Whats your max budget. I think you can have Punto 1.4 Emotion for the price of i20 Magna variant because there are a lot of discounts on Punto.
  3. prasvista

prasvista

Chennai
    My Budget would be maximum 5.5L inclusive of insurance , taxes and others after bargain. Can u just tell me is it feasible to get 1.2L at this cost including insurance and road taxes...
    just give the price split.
  4. PaddleShifter

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yes, I think it is possible to get 1.2 in this budget.
    You will get free insurance+ 4 years roadside assistance+ extended warranty in December.
    You can avail discounts over it as well.

Ex-showroom price= Rs4.94 lacs
    Cash discount= Rs10000
    Corporate discount= variable. rs600 to rs12000
    dealer discounts= variable.

You need to confirm this and check what discounts are being offered. Your call will be home at less than its ex-showroom price. Then you only need to check the road tax and registration charges in your area.
  5. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    Isn't FIAT advertisng discounts of about 55k??,Paddleshifter???
  6. PaddleShifter

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Bala sir- Yes, they are advertising it but IMO the 55k includes insurance+extended warranty+roadside assistance package as well. So cash discount on ex-showroom price is not 55k but 10-15k.
  7. prasvista

prasvista

Chennai
    When PUNTO EVO will be launched?
  8. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Not in near future.
  9. PaddleShifter

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    EVO isn't coming as per our understanding and the Fiat factory meet.
  10. shashanknathani

shashanknathani Superiore

Pune
    I drive a 1.2 FIRE Punto for more than an year and i am happy that i bought it instead of I20 and swift

1. Every one complains about A/C in Punto and i have personally experienced it and understood that for such a spacious car the A/C throw is not sufficient. Did FIAT overcome it?
    Answer: I stay in hyderabad and i feel it is not that bad as it is said...It just works fine at blower speed of two...In chennai i guess you might feel it a little less and that too for the rear passengers.... FIAT is upgrading the AC in all the petrol vehicles to solve this issue... and you do have rear AC vents under the front seats to help in worst cases... It creates a problem only if the car is parked outside in sun and since the interiors are black, it gets heated a lot and thus AC feel less effective.

2. As we all are concerned about mileage, i heard that PUNTO diesel gives 16 to 18(city) Kms, but with PETROL it gives only 12 - 13 Kms. Is it true?
    Answer: It is true that i gives a mileage of 12-13 in city with AC. but almost all premium hatchbacks gives the same mileage ( be it I20 or Swift Petrol)

3. One other important factor to consider while purchasing is re-sale value. I am not sure if i can give my PUNTO after 7 or 8 years for a good cost when compared to others like HYUNDAI and MARUTI...
    Answer: Resale value of Punto is increasing day by day... FIAT is also working hard to improve their market image by providing good service atleast in major cities..

6. If u compare with Hyundai and Swift you can see the Torque value and HP is minimum. How does it impact my Driving in city? - I may be wrong as i don't have idea on technical aspects.I guess even the number of valves is 2 while others have 4 valves that gives better pick up (power)
    Answer: the car feels perfectly powered in city... you will not feel it as underpowered instead you will enjoy it more once you get used to it... you can just drive it in 3rd gear in traffic easily...

7. My friend suggest me to go for a Hyundai i20. But comparing Punto I20 is costly and the spare parts of hyundai as we all know is costly. so if we talk about maintenance cost i guess Hyundai will make me pay more than PUNTO.
    Answer: My total expenditure on my car in (14 months, 18500kms) is just 6930

Second service : 5200 (As i got my brake pads changed plus oil and filters)
    Wheel caps: 530 (Bought two wheel caps)
    Wheel Balancing and Alignment 1200 (got it done thrice)

You cannot expect it less than that in any other vehicle...
    I remember when i used to get my Santro serviced every 2500kms i used to pay 2000+ everytime... meaning close to a rupee per km, where as with Punto it's a lot less