1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Q and A on Cars - From Magazines and TV's

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by ramjn, Feb 18, 2012.

1. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I didn't find any related thread to post such Q and A's that we encounter on the Media. Be it about Fiat or any other brand, please share if you come across any such Q&A type posts.

Last Wednesday, I came across this Q&A on the "Virtual Mechanic" section on the Hindu, Chennai edition.

Question:- Is there a problem with the handling of the Hyundai Verna? If so, what are my other alternatives in the Rs 9 lakh t o11 lakhs price bracket ? Is the skoda rapid a good car?

Answer:- The Verna’s handling is tuned for city use and if you drive mainly within city limits, you won’t find verna difficult to drive. However, at highway speeds and on uneven surfaces the verna is extremely bouncy and doesn’t encourage driver confidence. The Rapid is an excellent car and is in fact better on overall value than verna.

Very genuine answer. Isn't it?
  2. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    Yes,very genuine,but aam aadhmi does not care about handling,drivability at any speed,be it either city or highways.What matters most is the availability of service stations,spares and a good resale value.So,why would Hyundai care about anything else,having a waiting period of 8 months for the Verna?
  3. prakhar_lfc

prakhar_lfc Superiore

Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India
    Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India
    Linea T-Jet
    The same question has been asked in Autocar India (Feb 2012), along with the same answer.
  4. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    Picked up Auto Bild magazine thinking it's something new. I wanted a break from the Fiat bashing and avoided Autocar and even BBC. Just another piece of spineless auto journalism.

Q. Where does the Fiat Punto stand when compared to other cars like Polo, Swift, Fabia, i20, Jazz, Figo, etc.

Ans. The Fiat Grande has oomph. The front of the car is very appealing. Things are not all that great on the inside though. The driver position needs getting used to and is downright disliked by quite a few. Fit and finish is not of high standards and space inside its cabin is at a premium, despite the car seeming to quite large on the outside.
    Solution - Choose between the Jazz, i20 and the swift. :hit
  5. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Then why did he opted out Tata venture (only 4.2L) or Tata Winger(7.5 L) It will beat any of his recommendation in practicality:lol. Can accommodate even neighbors. No worry about storage space even one can carry a refrigerator and a gas stove and the list never ends. Where come Jazz when comparing with TATA venture.:evilsmile
  6. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Verna is not good at highway driving & uneven surfaces & reason is because "it is tuned for city driving".
    OK Schumii, get one tuned for Highway but bad in city!! I am sure you are having direct contact with Hyundai India C.E.O. What heck this guy was smoking & drinking? Highway with uneven surfaces but city roads are like gliding on ice-sheets. Looser has created his own physics! But i do have some answer to this. Don't know people would agree or not.

A brick or bullock-cart can maneuver at low speeds, a car is good only if it is capable of sustaining speeds. Sustaining high speeds describe each & every essential aspect no matter what your try for.
    Pull it to 90km/hr, steer to extreme right in a fraction of second & pull the handbrake. Everything should happen with-in a span of 1 to 1.5 sec. Front wheels should interchange positions with rear wheels & vice versa (with a max. 10 feet of distance between pre drift & post drift positions).
    That's what control, balance, chassis & suspension is..!! That what FUN to drive/HOOT to drive means!! That's what a Punto & FIAT is all about!!
    For better understanding, turn car sideways 180 deg with-in 15-20 feet distance (from 90 km/hr to rest facing in opposite direction). Anything less than this is just "wanna be" that looks like a car & so is it's expert viewer!

Keep it simple & straight Schumii that this maker doesn't have enough expertise. It's improving fast but for now, never dare to drive it's vehicle beyond 110 kmph. It is not made up for doing this (don't say tuned schumi!!).
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  7. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    @ENKI - I see what you are saying. One of my friend also shared the same feeling. Why is this guy telling that "it is tuned for city driving" for a car with 128 BHP under its hood?
  8. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Utilizing BHP is like looking after a kid. It is much more challenging to look after a kid than giving birth to one.
    In the former case Fiat scores and Hyundai knows only the later.
    1 person likes this.
  9. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Ramjn, I think whatever power/torque figures Hyundai claims should be enough, forget about city, 1150 kg car can go off-road (obviously with more ground clearance). Query is about speed capabilities & Schumi is trying to confuse the guy. Typical Hyundai's trademark that their cars are hardly capable to carry their engines. He is not talking about engine tuning here but invented a concept of his own. Obviously he is not referring to soft suspension set-up too because any European car with softest suspension set up will cruise on highway above 150 with confidence. It's lack of engineering expertise of Verna. It has softer suspension for city but still it still breaks spine of passengers at a sharp bump, If this is soft, a hard suspension will pop the heart out, just rubbish:A!

For Punto 90 HP, it can do some astonishing stuff that hardly any other car is capable of (1 segment above). It's not top speed or braking. Some of the maneuvers@decent speeds that will make other cars so average. I promise a pretty detailed video coverage to tinkle that side of Punto. All i can say that it has exceeded all my expectations. When the vehicle was newly delivered, i thought i should wait till i feel the car. Yesterday, I tried some drifting & it almost said to me "what were you waiting for last 4 months, bring it on:cool:"? This car is agile like a little squirrel. Doesn't mind whatever sort of moose's/drifting, bring it on. It's like a Gymnast, so flexible, predictable and accurate inch by inch. I started feeling like it's nothing adventurous i am doing & felt bored after 10 mins:).
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  10. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    Who is Schumi?