1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto's Engine Crank case & Engine oil Flush

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by gp_yash, Sep 19, 2011.

1. gp_yash

gp_yash

Bangalore
    Hi Punto gurus,

Excuse me for asking this very very basic question here.

Where is the crankcase located?:confused:

I think its the yellow plug next to the Engine casing with a long rod to measure/inspect Engine oil. Please correct me if I am wrong.

My Punto is due for its second service (30k). There is lot emission in 2nd and 3rd gears around 3000 RPM (As observed by my friend who was driving behind me :redcar). I was advised to use any engine oil flush to remove the sludge and other deposits to clean the crankcase during oil change.

I bought this 3M Engine Oil Flush [http://goo.gl/QbKm1] at the 3M Car Care and planning to use it just before dropping off the vehicle for service. It says I have to add it to the old oil in the Crank case.

So here I am confirming before I add it somewhere else ;)
  2. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    Yea its the yellow plug from where you pour in oil.Regarding Flush you can try STP/OWS/ABRO.All are good and reputed brands.Prices vary.Totally ur choice.I would recommend all three.A flush can is 450ml.Pour it completely in ur crankcase and start the engine and mildly rev it till 2k rpm and then gradually increase the rpm to 3-4k.Thats it.Do this for 15mins.And then wait for 30mins to cool down and then drain the old oil and pour in new oil.3M shoudnt be a problem.You can use it without any worries.

P.S : Do not drive while ur using flush.
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  3. anoop

anoop Superiore

aaron, is there any particular reasons not to drive while using engine oil flush? I read in the 3M site that increasing RPM will help flush to reach all places, so in that way, if you drive, it should help clean better - but I can be completely wrong. Please feel free to correct me.

@gp_yash: Black smoke can come because of lot of reasons. Though engine oil flush is suppose to clean the oil passage, I fail to see how a flush alone will reduce the smoke.

A normal amount of black smoke will come from diesel engines, especially under hard rev. Make sure you are seeing more than normal smoke, and if you are sure about the smoke being more than normal, rev your engine hard - take the car on a highway and do some spirited driving - some good 'floor the throttle' kind of driving will clear the passages and I have read in Tata Indica User Group where people have observed less\normal smoke after doing a good run.

second, ask the SA to blow air through the exhaust - that is what the SA did on our Indica when we had the smoke issue. The SA said it is done to clean cat-cone.

Next step is clean the throttle body.

If none of this solves your issue, check the plumbing of the turbo and the Fuel Pump.

The black smoke issue was plaguing my TDi at last, we identified the issue to be the Fuel Pump - had to get it serviced 2 times to fix the issue.
  4. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    there are various brands of flush and every brand recommends its use. some ask to drive 20 min , some ask to idle for 3 min etc etc.

Regarding smoke - my linea smokes too as reported by friends driving behind me. every brand new diesel car also smokes. its the natural property of diesel engine :)

if the smoke is excessive coupled with sluggish pick up etc then there are other problems too.
  5. gp_yash

gp_yash

Bangalore
    Thanks Pioneeraaron !

That was very useful. Heard about OWS and ABRO brands for the first time. I knew about STP but difficult to get one in Bangalore market.

Actually the guy at 3M told me that its OK to drive with Flush. He advised me add it when I drive down to the service center which is 10Kms from Home. I think i will run the engine in idle for 15 Mins.
  6. gp_yash

gp_yash

Bangalore
    @Anoop: I got the same doubt. Maybe by clearing out the residual carbons deposits and sludge will reduce black smoke emission. Anyway i will my SA to clean the exhaust & Throttle body, check the turbo wastegate and fuel pump during service.

That is ensuring :) But yes there is excessive smoke [Not when i rev hard in idle but only while driving above 3k rpm] along with sluggish pick up
    :(
  7. Italia-Linea

Pune
    first try injector cleaning.
  8. gp_yash

gp_yash

Bangalore
    Do they do it as part of service free of cost or is it totally a different repair process?
  9. Italia-Linea

Pune
    they will charge you seperate i think so. all service centres charge around 800 rs for the same. but i think for MJD they wont remove the injectors unless very much necessary. you need to check.

this kind of problem requires step by step diagnosis.
    1. check fuel quality
    2. check diesel filter
    3. check error codes in ecu
    4. check hose pipes
    5. check injectors
    6. check turbo pipes

take it to TASS
  10. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    @gp_yash

Flush is nuthin but 100% hydrocarbons i.e Diesel with detergents and additives at its best.You can say its Ultra Premium diesel.Driving with flush is not recommended cause it wudnt provide resistance to heat as an engine oil wud do.