1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto's dates with Kalady,Kanyakumari and Madurai

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by Sat-Chit-ananda, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Thanks Ravi and Ramjn for a quick suggestion the route to take from Bangalore-->Kalady-->KanyaKumari--Madurai and back.

I took route suggested by Ravi and seconded by Ramjn,started on 7th December at 6:27 Am from banaglore,had borrowed a Satnav navigator from my friend, I also has MMI maps on my cell phone as well as N-Drive free map in LG android phones(which is useless).

I took the route suggested by Satnav navigator,which also suggested me to take Bangalore to Kanakapura highway but for some reason it was showing the road name as "Danaguru road"!!

There was not much of traffic on Wednesday morning so drive was relaxed crossed kanakapura.Satnav was just showing the a car icon and was silent for most of times with very less voice guidance.

We reached Malavalli and had to take decision to turn to left of right but Satnav as quite as usual ,we decided to turn on my MMI maps and it clearly guided us to take a left turn towards NH 209 (kollegal).

En route saw some farm lands with crop already harvested or just ready for harvest .
    It always makes me think how i would have survived as Farmer with every one from new paper guy to electricity board to bank expecting the money every month ,where as these folks get to see some money once a quarter at best.
    I think our system is not Farmer friendly but friendly to only a working class who draw salaries every month!!
    DSCF0002.jpg DSCF0003.jpg DSCF0004.jpg
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  2. NH209 was very good as told by J Ravi Sir, but a single lane road.
    I did not face much of the traffic, I was driving at speed of 80 KMPH and my car was returning astonishing mileage 28 kmpl!!

IMG028.jpg

We reached Dimbam ghats, my first visit to this place.I remembered J Ravi for his input about 27 hairpin bends while descending down the ghat.Puto's ABS did not get had to work even once,i hardly did apply breaks at 2-3 curves at the best.
    DSCF0009.jpg It's me and my wife a humans perceived to be evolved from monkey:) DSCF0010.jpg DSCF0011.jpg DSCF0014.jpg DSCF0015.jpg DSCF0017.jpg DSCF0019.jpg DSCF0020.jpg
    My friend Shashi asking for the car keys
    DSCF0021.jpg

At Hasanur we got into Tamil Nadu,roads were still good, but i started feeling pain in the my right thumb and it's related muscles in the arm.
    It's my bad as i am used to pull the steering using only thumb in city driving.
    1 person likes this.
  3. My friend Shashi started driving from Annur, we had food in Gowrishakar veg restaurant in palaghat road.
    Reached Coimbatore ,out MMI maps guided us to city instead of by pass roads, i still haven't learnt make best use of the GPS yet!!
    Any suggestions to improve my GPS handling skills are welcome.
    Coimbatore city is big and truly industrial town.but it took us almost 1.5 hours to cross the city to enter Kerala.
    We were welcomed by single lane Kerala road until very close to ernakulam we had to bear with slow moving traffic and honking KSRTC bus drivers.
    Finally we reached Kalady at 6:10 PM, had booked rooms at Shakar mutt it self,rooms were very clean and spacious.

Picture 583.jpg
    Some details about Kalady.

About a hundred years back, the then Shankaracharya of Sringeri came upon the Samadhi of Aryamba, the mother of Sri Adi Shankaracharya, and then built a temple around it. This temple is right on the banks of the river, and is a simple and beautiful structure. There are sanctums to Lord Ganesha and Sri Sharada. The Sharadambal sanctum is surrounded by images of the Saptha Matas – 7 forms of the Devi. The brindavanam of Aryamba is a small structure built over the place where she was cremated. The black stone lamp post at the site dates back to the time of Adi Shankara. It is this structure which helped identify the spot as the birth place of Adi Shankara. Finally, there is the shrine to Adi Shankaracharya. It is a peaceful place reverberating with the sounds of the Vedas uttered by the students of the Veda Patashala run by the Mutt.

We also visited Advita Ashram of RK mission in kalady,sat in mediation for 15 minutes inside temple.Met the Swamiji heading the Ashram.
    both these places are very good for spiritual seekers Sree_Ramkrishna_Ashram_Kalady.jpg

More later.
  4. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I didnt think you would do it so quickly .. i saw ur query just today and replied to it thinking you are planning it for some xmas or so. anyways, nice ride.. pour in the rest of the travelogue with many pics!!!

Kalady is a beautiful serene place indeed, especially at early mornings. I d love to share a couple of pics that i took when i went there. hope you dont mind it !

1.jpg

2.jpg
  5. Thanks Varun, pictures looks amazing, I sat an meditated the same Auditorium seen in the picture you posted.
  6. Srini

Srini Regolare

Chennai
    This should have been an very exciting trip. I love Kaladi to the hilt. Have been there almost 10 / 15 times.. Was a frequent visitor when I was in cochin for few months..
  7. We stayed at the Shankara guest house on 7th and 8th of December,left Kalady on 9th morning towards Kanyakumari.
    About 40 Kms from Ernkulam airport we got to drive on 4 lane road,here MMI made us to to go to Alapuzha beach,although I don't get exited with beach as much as mountains,still spent about 30 minutes exploring the place. DSCF0024.jpg DSCF0025.jpg DSCF0027.jpg DSCF0028.jpg DSCF0029.jpg DSCF0033.jpg DSCF0034.jpg DSCF0035.jpg MMI took us to now defunct road not sure whether it was NH 66 or not, we had to ask some localities to guide us back to right highway.we crossed this railway station junction which was parallel to the defunct road. DSCF0037.jpg

From Alapuzha-->Purakkad--Haripad-->Kollam-->Followed the route until we reached near to Trivandram but did not enter the city-->Kanyakumari

Whole route was very stressful as traffic moves at slow pace some where between 40-60kms,no one does ratrace or aggressive overtaking.
    We had our breakfast on the wayat 11:30 AM!!, I forgot the name of the place and hotel.
    1 person likes this.
  8. Yes it was Srini,truly a very good experience of driving via three states.
  9. Few more Kalady pictures taken by Shashi using his mobile phone

Me sitting in meditation
    IMG085.jpg
    Poorna River
    IMG090.jpg IMG093.jpg IMG095.jpg IMG096.jpg IMG097.jpg IMG098.jpg IMG100.jpg IMG102.jpg IMG105.jpg IMG107.jpg IMG108.jpg
    Me lost in thoughts

IMG109.jpg IMG110.jpg

Alaphuzha beach captured in cell phone camera
    IMG111.jpg IMG112.jpg IMG113.jpg IMG114.jpg
    1 person likes this.
  10. Srini

Srini Regolare

Chennai
    Seeing the pictures kindles my pleasure for this place again. I am planning!!!!