1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto90HP -- Pros & cons

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by retropoppers, Oct 18, 2011.

1. redbull

redbull

Bangalore
    Some honest opinion about GP 90 HP

The first two gears are short - can get on your nerves when the engine is howling but you are not gaining speed. It is not an "easy" car to drive in the city B2B traffic because of the above point and also the gear shift is notchy in the 1 -> 2 and the 2 -> 3. 2->3 will seem to get better over time but for me it is not yet perfect. Even the 2nd gear will seem to become smoother overtime. About the 1st gear - the car will jump at the slighest throttle input, but then start screaming as you gain speed - must upshift to 2nd. This jumping behaviour seems to get reduced with time. 2nd gear - mostly in B2B traffic, the car will be moving in and out of turbo zone - managing this can be really irritating. Add to that if the car is going uphill, then the 1st -> 2nd can leave your 2nd gear totally gasping for air. And then you can have a nap waiting for the car's trubo to start spooling. New driving lesson - while going uphill keep the car in power band (keep it moving) - can be a real problem if going uphill and a lot of blind twists and turns. And since the car is heavy, the engine will be crawling if the turbo is not spooling.

But otherwise if you can potter around on level ground in the 3rd it sure is an enjoyable drive. Car will get better as you accumulate mileage - i.e. the power band response will become better - you will want to drive it spiritedly and all this will make it seem that the turbo lag is getting worse. This is one car that does not like to be driven sedately - is most happy in higher revs. This is a highway king, a mile cruncher, road warrior, a cruiser whatever you may call it. Once on the highway you will have recouped all your 7.7 lakhs investment. Astounding power delivery coupled with perfect gear ratios 3rd gear upwards and one hell of a rev happy engine - yes you can try cruising soberly all day long (and all through the night provided you get the much needed headlight upgrade) and enjoy that stability, but with such power and control, it is difficult not to get involved in a drag once in a while.

And the engine is pretty frugal - on a trip to Krishnagiri, on the ultra busy NH7 last Sunday - with hour long waits on tollgates and traffic blockades while going and torrential rain while coming back, I got 18+. Usually my highway runs start with MID showing 22 (minimum), and then I don't bother. In city, it is 12.5 - 16. I am not really a sober driver and I do not switch off the engine on traffic signals or if I have to go get a light or something like that.

The car has done well till now and so I don't have any kind of involved interaction with TASS, but I do end up there every month or two for top ups etc. and all top up has been free till now. I got my clutch salve cylinder changed and that time I had to wait for one month for the part. But generally the guys at TASS are nice to be around, to chat, are quite friendly and informal - of course, I am yet to test their deep technical skills but I sincerely hope that I do not have to.
  2. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @Redbull , your above comment is only little said about capability of Punto 90hp.

Have you any Idea how it goes post 100kmph...!!! huh..ferocious.

you can smoke a toyota altis(D) just with a gentle tap on accel pedal

It has a true potential to go at 190kmph but engine rev is locked to 164kmph electronically @4100rpm probably to be safe on Indian Roads.

The way I calculated is in 4th gear it can rev upto 5200rpm for 148kmph, in 5th 2500rpm for 98kmph,164kmph for 4100rpm just assumed statistically and i believe it should be true.

and does it quivers or shies at such high speeds..NO.

Truly..!!
  3. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Redbull : You have spoken my heart bro. Ur honesty and judgement is spot on. /salute

As for the highway mileage, my little elephant did a delhi-wagah border-delhi trip on a tank full of 1550 rs. With yet a few kilometer to hit the reserve limit, At constant speed of 85-90 with 100% a/c and 15" tyres
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    I hazard a guess that Punto 90 and Linea Diesel share the same gear ratios.

The Linea shoots forward in second gear pretty well. So i'm confused how you find it to the contrary.

I can't comment on the driveability in the mountains since im yet to drive the Linea on hilly roads. But i heard how TFIan Aneesh's 90 was flying through the hilly sections during TFI Chail Meet.

But yes, on the highway its a beast.
  5. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    After being owned 90HP and now Linea I can provide my comments. I have said this already. GP 90 and Linea MJD are not the same. Both are tuned differently. Actually, Linea accelerates better than the GP 90HP. The turbo kicks in the GP at around 1700-1800 RPM. In Linea, I start feeling the turbo from 1500 RPM onward.

And yes, Jayadev is true. Once you go past 2500-3000 RPM in the GP 90. Its an absolute blast. I have beaten ANHC, Altis, Innovas and the old Verna on the highway with the GP 90.
  6. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Although I am no one to judje but tht punto was running at higher degrees of danger than speed to my eyes at the chail meet.

Veere u'll never wish to cm back from the mountains the feedback from the steering and the whole chassis is so good tht after a trip from the mountains the next place u wanna drive would be at the buddh international circuit
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Strange to hear about different tunings of the Linea and Punto90. A straight swap from the Linea to the Punto wouldve been killer, since the Linea's multijet is very strong indeed.

Jasveen , yes the Buddh will be THE ideal place to drive these FIATs. My daydream- going through one set of nice tires and brake pads in a day on Buddh. :p

If only we had rear wheel drive!
  8. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    There is a "dud" zone between 1st and 2nd gear in punto 90hp. you can do nothing but wait for turbine..rather i skip second and proceed with 3rd. such is it .
  9. redbull

redbull

Bangalore
    Ya that's my own feeling. Some people find the 2nd gear OK, but the general opinion is that the 2nd is also short. In any case, I would rather err towards taller ratios than shorter ones so my opinion may be colored (I found Alto 800 charming to drive and Santro, an absolute abomination) - I get the feeling that the pickup is not sufficient for the kind of labor the engine is going through,

Here too my comment was limited to town roads/smaller lanes with steep climb, where it will be difficult to keep momentum because of the traffic or twists and turns - the revs will fall below the power band, and it is difficult to manage. However, once the turbo starts spooling (around 1500), it feels as if gravity has been switched off - such a difference the turbo can make. Generally I just honk so terribly, people give way and I climb happily. Key is to maintain momentum so you always stay in the power band. The Punto is fussy in lower revs. Show her revs and she will eat ghat sections raw.

---------- Post added at 07:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 PM ----------

I generally avoid direct comparison on public forums - these tend to quickly take political overtones :grin:

Over at the other forum, I objected to one guy's "personal feeling" that the 3 pot Polo TDI was faster than Punto 90 HP with hard numbers, and my post got quickly deleted.

---------- Post added at 07:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 PM ----------

I have felt the turbo engage differently depending how I drive. If driven sedately, it will start spooling up from 1500. A sure shot way to know is start the car uphill. You will feel the car gaining strength at 1500. However if you do a "pedal to the metal", the turbo makes itself evident at 2000 rpm where you get the "kick". So depending on my driving style - it engages anywhere between 1500 to 2000 rpm.
  10. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Tfi is much friendly and sensible forum. one can speak his heart here no matter it is about Fiat or any other brand..I have seen it here over the time my presence here.