1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto90HP -- Pros & cons

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by retropoppers, Oct 18, 2011.

1. drarvindc

drarvindc

Nagpur
    I zeroed onto Punto after almost a year of research, reading, following TBHP, here and other sources. I was aware of the TASS or other issues which are commonly said out against Fiat cars. I focused more on what the real owners had to say about Punto and its a fact even the one's who had problems with their car or TASS recommended Punto. The advantages of Punto makes one shrug off all the other issues and its worth all the way.

Abusive Fight with the dealer on the delivery date << thats how i started with my Punto :) but 14 months and 16K+ kms on my 90 hp, i no longer care about that and love this beauty more each time i drive it. 780 kms in 11.30 hrs, sole driver, din let wife drive at all and still had the energy to work for few hours. Taking her out again to Nagpur - Pune tomorrow morning, when i could reach there in 1 hr flight time.

For me all that mattered when i was searching for car with proven safety features, its not the question of long drives, but if i am on highways and be it for 1 km, i would like to be saved from any untoward incident,Punto is proven for safety, comfort, handling and sheer pleasure.
  2. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Hay are you planning to visit Pune....Lets meet if possible.
  3. drarvindc

drarvindc

Nagpur
    Sure Kedar,

Had been to pune 3 weeks earlier too, nagpur-pune-kohlapur (pawankhind) and back in my Punto, yet to put that journey details and pics here. Hopefully will do that next week. SMS me your number. Mine is 9867999773, lets meet, i want to see your mods, loved the Facebook pics.

Arvind
  4. retropoppers

retropoppers

Thanks everyone for very useful feedback & comments :)
    (very much appreciated)

Over the last few days, i have read extensively about Punto90hp on various moto-sites & based on my analysis i have gathered the following info:
    1: Its a nice car with excellent mid & high range drivability.
    2: The low range (<2k rpm) has some issues, but thats common to most diesel hatch (found that missing in micra in my test drive though)
    3: The engine is an excellent one, and the engine per say is definitely the most reliable part of the 90GP
    4: Lot of people face lot of minor issues in this car.

I have read in lot of websites (including teamfiat) regarding rusting issues with fiat cars.. and today only i read a post in which the guy was sharing his horror story of too many components of his new car suffering from very serious rusting :-/ .. nd some of the owners (including my first cousing who owns a linea) have faced serious aircon issues.

There is too much of uncertainty attached to the car at this moment due to which an investment of over 7lakh looks very difficult to make.
    But having said that, i am not able to find a worthy competitor to this master-car who can match it in features/driving pleasure/cost...
    Nd thus my decision to buy a car is still on a standstill :-///
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  5. Gill

Gill

Well if ur tht skeptical then u can also look at ford figo or the nissan micra. Both are wonderfully engineered cars although lacking the outright feature list of the GP. The figo presents a good case for itself given the pricing and features(lower price and little behind on features features). Its equal to punto in most aspects if not above say for eg: handling, ride, stability, space, close to no turbo lag(little low on top end though). Given all this and the price to feature ratio it is a good option around a budget of 5 lakhs, ya the looks though are pretty average. Also even the micra is a good option, with amazing tractability it offers it surely better than say a ritz/swift/vista/polo. Not as feature rich but a good car overall with not many niggles or complaints.

U still have alot of options to choose

Harmony & chaos
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  6. retropoppers

retropoppers

@Gill:
    Thanks.. yeah there is lot of skepticism regarding gp90 at the moment.. though i am still trying hard to get over it !!! :)

Well maybe i am less informed abt Ford Figo.. but if i know correctly Figo has an old technology 2valve per cylinder engine.. & it also has considerably less powerful engine..
    (although it presents a really good case, with its price)
    Please let me know if i understand incorrectly..

Micra.. i dont like the shape at all..& also i am trying to move away from tall-boy designs.. (thats why even RITZ is out of questions now as well)

Any other options guys ? .. or some inspiring positive towards GP90
  7. Gill

Gill

Yup figo and micro both are running tried and tested old school mills but for the price they do a perfect job. The last option is i20 if u can live with a dead steering and not so good handling then it is a very good option

Harmony & chaos
  8. retropoppers

retropoppers

i20 is not at all value for money specially for the diesel variant !!!
    You know that the sad part.. i am not able to identify one diesel hatch which is wholesomely good in all aspects !!!
  9. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thts a very rare possibility/combination ur looking for

Harmony & Chaos
  10. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    The Multijet 1.3's production figures recently crossed 4 Million engines. And it is tried, tested AND modern. Unlike the Brontosaurus 2 valve per cylinder single cam engine of the Figo. :D