1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto90HP -- Pros & cons

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by retropoppers, Oct 18, 2011.

1. kirenh

kirenh Regolare

Mumbai/Pune
    Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Hi!,
    Giving below my views,

I have been driving a Tata/Fiat car for the past 8 years.
    1. Uno 1.2 Petrol - 1.0 Lakh kms in 10 yrs still within the family.
    2. Indica V2 Turbo - 2006-11 1.5Lakh kms exchanged for the present car.
    3. Punto 90 HP - 15,000 kms in 8 months (Actually 6 months driven).

If you ask me my next car - It will be Linea 1.6MJD whenever launched.

I get an avg in Mumbai B2B traffic minimum 14kmpl.

I drive approx 3000kms per month on all types of roads (no roads), and I do not see any other car which can take such abuse.

ASS of Tata/Fiat are as good or as bad as of other companies. We have or had Maruti/Hyundai/Honda/Toyota/Tata cars and hence know them quite well.

Spare part issue again can be with any company depending upon how regularly the part is required. The more regular a part is required its availablity is easier. A friends brand new polo was in the workshop for nearly 2 months for want of spares (Accident Repairs).

Price difference between Ritz VDI ABS & Punto 90HP should be around 1.0L only check with Punto Epack.

Well Ritz is a good family car, adding alloys /better tyres etc will bring down the price difference.

Kiran
  2. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    GP90hp. on 14700km.

I had met with bit of serious accident at 10500km.where I lost all hope of getting her back on road again.

but within 3-4 weeks she returned to me. I did suspect some after affects and side effects of repairs.
    But so far nothing not even a sqeaks.which speaks of its built quality.

plastic quality and fit and finish may not be highest standard but you can be sure of one thing that other than small niggles and petite issues this car would last like a rock.

Only fuzz being aggravated highly about fiat cars is ASS and the fit and finish .
    unfortunately fit and finish is what a common man can see in first sight .
    but look deeper and beyond the layers of plastic you will find a real innovation.
    say for ride quality ,,drive response,looks,overall feel of a machine ...no other car for this price would come close to it.

I expected New swift would have something like that of punto but other than reduction in weight due to which it has extra peppiness and agility that too in lower speeds , nothing moves as precise and sophisticated as punto 90hp does for under 8 lakh.

I bought punto 90hp with my eyes closed , i did not even knew what Fiat is , but the first TD is what made me to say this today and it is almost one year ;no regrets.
    I would say again it dint feel me I am sitting behind a 93ps motor . but the way it dealt with my commands , like in gear acceleration,braking,steering feedback sitting position forced me sell my then 1 year old Vista (12500km) and buy this beast on the spot.
    yes Fiat made me feel like driving a more civilized and precise car than just some vfm rockets.
    cheers.
  3. Hi Retropoppers,

I recently underwent a similar situation which warranted a pensive solution. Much as logic would have it. It was my heart I followed. Till date I have had No issues with my Punto 90 , I really haven't put so much of miles (2300KM's so far) to really tell you it is a reliable machine. But I did speak to a couple of FIAT Punto owners who helped me in taking this decision. And i still keep in touch. My friend has done more than 40,000 KM's and he has no issues whatsoever, he makes sure he cares for it and the vehicle returns the love. It eventually boils down to what you think is important. With the punto you have to factor in that spares are hard to come by , but they do eventually. And my recent experiences with the TASS has been very good. just maintain a good rapport with the service head and the sales head. whenever I had any little niggles, they tell me to come right away when they can acomodate me and fix it. Regarding Fuel efficiency it gives anywhere between 12~17KMPL (City Only). If cost is a factor you can always go for the 75 HP emotion and later give it a chip to power it up. If you love driving, want something exclusive I would really ask you to consider the Punto. But on the other hand if it is gonna be used as a means of getting you to A to B, lower depreciation and on a tight budget ..consider the Ritz.. The decision at the end is yours to make.
  4. kr_vasudev

kr_vasudev Superiore

Bangalore
    @Retro

It is a very difficult to decide on a new car. We all can get a feel what you are going thru

If you want to decide between 90HP and Ritz, I would vouch for 90HP.

I do not own 90HP but I have driven 75HP many times. You will love the way Punto drives and i can assure every drive brings smile on your face.

Coming back to spares, I see there is delay in spares. I read in many forums the Puntos that met with accidents have been restored back to original at a reasonable time. Spares delay is there but there is no problem with availability. (Some low cost spares you can get it from roadside mechanic)

Personally Ritz front shape is fine, but rear is somewhat out of the shape. No offense, this is a general opinion.

Maintenance cost would be less and a lot depends on your driving style. Take care of the car, it will take care of you.

Good luck in your decision, all the best.
  5. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore
    I own a 90hp vehicle for the last 6 months in which i have clocked closed 13k kms. -- What are actual FE fugures of 90GP in bumper2bumper city traffic with aircon ON all the time? Ans : I would say for me it varies from 11.5 to 15.5 -- Is the ASS of TATA really bad or is it more the case of just a legacy of negative perception? Ans : I would never say, they were below par. Always felt they were decent enough. -- Is there any issue with the spare part availability for GP90? Ans : In the 6 months of ownership, i had a major issue with my A/C, other than that, i never had to replace or buy any parts for the vehicle. That means, the spare part issue has not bothered me so far.
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    The Mighty 90 is the segment benchmark. Ritz is a segment below. So really no comparison.

If the Mighty fits your budget, just go for it. Brilliant combination of engine+car.
  7. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    The spare parts availability for the Ritz could well be affected by the current labour problems being experienced by Maruti.

Regards
    Johnny
  8. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Johnny sir :
    Don think tht shud affect the spares supply, already duplicate stuff is into the market for most maruti products, one can acquire them from any good spares shop, but the same cant b said for fiat

Harmony & chaos
  9. anoop

anoop Superiore

@retro: I hope you have more clarity now :)

Just to chip in with my 2 paise, though spare availability might be an issue and though the world will mock you for getting a Fiat when you do not go for a Maruthi or a Hyundai like 90% of the society does, once you drive a Punto, it is very hard to go back to Ritz.
    The decision to buy the first car is almost always a very challenging one, and this is one occasion when one should listen to your heart as well as your head.

I am dealing with TASS for 2+ years now, and till today, I have been extremely satisfied with them (touchwood). BUT, this depends a lot on the TASS in your area. This is the same scenario not only for Tata, but for many other brands. 90% of the people who have trouble with TASS are those who have never owned a tata or fiat car - most of the opinions you hear online are precptions turned into opinions, but I do not discount the fact that there may be issues with TASS - same as there may be issues with ASS of other brands also.

If you follow other automotive forums, you can read lot of horror stories about ASS of other brands.

Brands like Tata, maruthi and to a certain extent Hyundai have lot of spare support from local manufactures. The same cannot be said about FIAT, unfortunately. So, you will be dependent mostly on the TASS, in case you need spare parts.

Do not let these aspects affect your buying decision. Since it is you who is the primary user of the car, listen to your heart and go for a 90HP.
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  10. I don't know why are you comparing a 90BHP VGT punto a to 75BHP Ritz.
    with respect to features and build Ritz will look like tin box infront of Punto.