1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto Windshield cracked - Insurance claim query

Discussion in 'Insurance & Loan Reviews' started by pronoy_banerjee, May 9, 2013.

1. pronoy_banerjee

pronoy_banerjee Amatore

Pune
    Hmm, may be because i never found a comfortable seating position. I have to push back the seat more than 2/3rd way to accommodate my legs and recline the seat.
    I'll try sitting a bit upright on my next trip.
    Thanks.
  2. Cubbie

Cubbie Superiore

Bangalore
    OT: Head rests are very useful in preventing back lash during sudden breaking or impacts, it will prevent shocks reaching spine to some extent, kindly ensure your saftey before removing such key components from vehicles.

whilst in UK, one of my colleague, had an major impact (front + back, his car was jammed between 2 vehicles) due to a pileup on highway, leading to sprained neck and very small hair line fracture on the spine /neck area.

he was grateful that head restraints saved his life, else he would have had a broken neck or spine which has severe consequences later..
    1 person likes this.
  3. pronoy_banerjee

pronoy_banerjee Amatore

Pune
    Well, yeah I know that part of it. I will try and get a pair of neck rests to go with the head restraints, that may be helpful.

UPDATE:

Got the windshield replaced. Due to some issues I was late and the work started at 2:00.
    The Cracked windshield was taken off the vehicle and the mirror was removed.
    The residual sealant was removed.
    The new glass was on the vehicle by 3:00 PM.
    All that was remaining was to let the sealant dry for 3 hours.

The Glass that I got, has the FIAT logo :-D

Total expenditure: 1000(std. charge while claiming insurance)+437(50% of the price of the sealant) = 1437 INR :p

Here are a few pictures

Removing the wipers

IMAG0193.jpg

Removing the Rubber beading
    IMAG0195.jpg

Getting rid of the residual sealant
    IMAG0196.jpg

Removing the mirror
    IMAG0197.jpg

Logo on the new glass
    IMAG0198.jpg

Pasting new sealant.
    IMAG0201.jpg

The guy advised me to take it easy on the car for 2 days as the sealant requires 72 hours to dry completely.
    2 people like this.
  4. Cubbie

Cubbie Superiore

Bangalore
    Congrats, Seems like job well done and to top it up you have the logo of Fiat.,

i believe you will need to do a rain test ! Get the car sprayed with regular washing jet, observe any leaks or moisture build ups from inside, and then also check if there are any air leaks by driving at 70-80 kmph... Which will ensure air tightness of the sealant.

This was done in my honda when the glass developed a crack similar to yours.
  5. pronoy_banerjee

pronoy_banerjee Amatore

Pune
    Yeah,:-D the FIAT logo was the cherry on top of this sweet deal. + the time taken as compared to the workshop estimation of a week.

I will have to wait for another 48 hours for the sealant to dry up totally, then i will get a pressure wash done.
    While coming to office today, I took the car to 100 kmph on a very smooth stretch which has considerably low traffic, I did not notice any unusual noise which can indicate an Air leak.
    1 person likes this.
  6. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Glad to know that your car is back on track. :)