1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto Windshield cracked - Insurance claim query

Discussion in 'Insurance & Loan Reviews' started by pronoy_banerjee, May 9, 2013.

1. pronoy_banerjee

pronoy_banerjee Amatore

Pune
    Yesterday around midnight, while returning from office i saw the traffic move slowly a little ahead of Le' Meridian. I downshifted to 4th Gear and suddenly a big stone hit the windshield.
    What I was not able to see was that a 2 groups of guys were brawling on the footpath.
    By the time I could slow down, park and get to them, they were already on their bikes running away, as people started moving in on them.

The stone created a 4 inch wide circular crack with concentric cracks inside..
    I called up Fiat 24x7 helpline and asked if an FIR is needed to claim the insurance, they informed that it is not required and I can get the car to the workshop and will be advised by the people present there.

Here are a few pictures I clicked today morning.

35.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

Today I called up Millennium drive to inquire if they have the windshield in stock. unfortunately they did not.
    I called up Future Generali and registered a claim.
    I tried calling Pandit auto at bavdhan but there numbers were temporarily out of service :eek:.

I got a call from Rajeev, one of the surveyor from Future Generali Insurance.
    He informed me that I can come to the FG office where they will estimate the damage and make an offer to me, if I agree, the amount will be transferred by NEFT / Cheque to my account, and I can get the job done from anywhere I want.

When I explained that only the front windshield needs to be changed, the guy asked me to visit ASAHI workshop which is right opposite to Wadia college, in the premises of the petrol pump.
    He informed that FG has a tie-up with ASAHI and they can offer a cashless transaction, which means I only have to pay for the sealant. INR 1300(Approx.). Only the FIAT logo would be missing, as I am purchasing directly from the manufacturer and not from the dealer.

I checked and found that the glass in punto is manufactures by AIS and ASAHI is now AIS.

Im in a dilemma, if i give the car to the work shop I would have to wait indefinitely until the glass is available. then pay 50% of the cost of the glass.
    If I give it to ASAHI / AIS, I can get the job done in 6 hours as promised and would have to pay significantly less but I do not know whatqua to expect.

What would you guys suggest?
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2013
  2. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Pronoy get it done from ASAHI as it wont take much time and if you go to the Pandit Auto then they will take their own sweet time. As the manufacturer is the same there wont be any problem.
  3. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Just a thought. At a later date, when you upgrade and decide to sell the car, with the FIAT logo missing from the windshield it will be plainly visible that the windshield was changed. This could affect the already not so great resale value.

Rajan
  4. pronoy_banerjee

pronoy_banerjee Amatore

Pune
    That is exactly what I was thinking,
    1. The workshop is far away (Bavdhan)
    2. Lazy attitude (They haven't called me back since the time I inquired.)
    3. The car would be lying there from about a week. (If they have the glass)

Well, yes that is a valid point, maybe not everyone is as attentive to details as you buddy, I mean I hope they won't be :D. At the end of the day the manufacturer will be the same. So I think that should not be a problem.
  5. pronoy_banerjee

pronoy_banerjee Amatore

Pune
    Just spoke to ASAHI. They informed that they will charge INR 1500/- and will complete the work in 4-5 hours.
    The glass will bear the <ais> logo but not the FIAT logo. (Thats ok by me).
    Booked for tomorrow at 10 AM, work would be completed by 2 - 3 PM.

One query, can I use the car today for going to office with this crack?</ais>
    Last edited: May 9, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  6. Gaurav Chakraborty

Gaurav Chakraborty Amatore

New Delhi
    ya u can..not so major crack i believe so.
  7. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Looking at the crack yes you can use your car, but be careful on bad roads and drive slow. :)
  8. caffeineam

caffeineam Amatore

Mumbai
    This is off topic, but why have you removed the head rests from both front seats?
    1 person likes this.
  9. pronoy_banerjee

pronoy_banerjee Amatore

Pune
    Yes, I am at office, drove carefully and parked the car in shade.
    Will get the work done tomorrow and post the update.

On all the long journeys I experienced a bit of neck pain and needed to flex the neck muscles, with the head restraints in place it was impossible to tilt my head back without leaning forward, so I got rid of them.
    As of now, my neck rests perfectly on the edge of the seat, which is very good if i want to relax a bit.
  10. caffeineam

caffeineam Amatore

Mumbai
    May want to get that checked out if it's a bone problem. If it's your neck muscles that get strained, then it's probably because your seat is reclined steeply and your head needs to stay upright to focus on the road making your neck muscles sore.