1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto wheels jumps in air while passing on a bump or bad roads

Discussion in 'Technical' started by zubinhataria, Apr 19, 2012.

1. zubinhataria

zubinhataria

The rear wheels of my 2011 Punto Diesel jumps in air whenever the car passes through bad
    roads or smaller but taller bumps at a normal speed. Actually the wheels
    should stick to the road in most of the conditions as it happens in my other
    car. The fiat service staff decreased the air pressure to resolve the issue, but
    it didn't help. They even checked the Shock Absorbers, but could found anything.

Does anyone have similar issues?
  2. soori

soori

Dubai
    I guess this is how Punto works. As the suspension is hard and shorter play, the rear wheel tends to be airborne over humps when we travel in a higher speeds.
  3. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    This is not an issue. This is the case with all Puntos. Thats how the suspensions are designed. But, to clarify you, it won't be air borne. You may be hearing the thud noise over the humps from the suspension.
  4. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    This is not problem. Design error. It is common in all Punto.

Even this type of behaviour is present in FIAT UNO also
  5. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    thud sound,yeah i heard it when passing undulated roads at 80-90Kmph.
    but i use to think its due to the spare tire in the boot ?am i linking it to this ?
  6. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    You heard it right. But, its not due to your spare tire :). The noise is from the rear suspension of your Punto.
  7. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    ramjin,
    i never thought about this,its eyeopener for me....
  8. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Firstly, how did you come to know that the tyre is actually airborne? And under what driving circumstances - speed , turn etc?
  9. Naughty

Naughty Superiore

Ahmedabad
    That is common in all the Puntos... I have got it checked, they said its normal.. thats how it is... They said its coz of "Torsion Beam Helical Spring And Double Action Telescopic Dampers And Stabilizer Bar"... but my question is then why only on left rear side? why not on both the rear sides? Do you guys also have noticed only on either of the rear side or both sides?
  10. Ferrariscdr

Ferrariscdr Amatore

Karnataka
    agreed with gurjinder...how do you know/see the wheels are actually not touching surface? I doubt if this could be the case because then it could be suspension too hard that it doesnt goes down and touches the surface.

---------- Post added at 07:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 PM ----------

agreed with gurjinder...how do you know/see the wheels are actually not touching surface? I doubt if this could be the case because then it could be suspension too hard that it doesnt goes down and touches the surface.