1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto : Wheel bearings fail at just 8k KM

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by eldrid, Nov 19, 2011.

1. eldrid

eldrid Amatore

London, United Kingdom
    London, United Kingdom
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Hi guys a while back i took a sharp corner at a speed of around 60 after which a strange noise started to emerge at all speeds and got louder at higher speeds. On investigation the service centre determined the problem as being a damaged left wheel bearing and the aforementioned part was duly replaced under warranty. Now again around 1k km later i hear a whirring sound (as if the wheel is touching something with every rotation) at speeds between 20 - 40 above this speed the sound disappears. Could it be that the right side wheel bearing is on the verge of failure as well? Also, aren't wheel bearings supposed to last you around 40k km?? My car is just over a year old and has been driven just around 9k km. I have primarily driven the car within the city on regular indian style roads with the usual undulations and a few pot holes here and there. Has any one else faced a similar issue wherein their wheel bearing required such premature replacement?
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  2. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    eldrid wheel bearing doesn't need to be replaced so soon in car's life.
    My M800 have done 1.5 lacs km without wheel bearing being replaced and linea too have done 48k kms without requiring any change so far.
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    If the sound disappears above any speed then it can't be bearing related. Wheel bearing noise grows with speed. Sort of a boomy noise.

I suspect the cause lies elsewhere.

Bearing calling it quits at 8k is a real bummer. Maybe it was faulty from the factory itself.
  4. prihir

prihir Amatore

Jamnagar
  5. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    the bearings are designed to withstand millions of cycles. but the problem lies in assembling them. the bearings are to be uniformly press fitted. even a minor tilt in angle or uneven pressure on the side walls damage them.

i am also suspecting that the front right bearing on my linea is gone. i am hearing the humming noise since the car clogged 4000 kms itself.

on my alto i have replaced bearing 3 times. the 1st time when the mechanic changed i saw the way he hammered the brand new bearing , and this damaged it immediately. again they changed it and this time did it carefully.
    1 person likes this.
  6. Aniket

Aniket Superiore

Thane, Mumbai
    my friends 90 hp having all 4 wheel bearing faulty from when we took delivery from st0ckyard :mad:
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Whoa! That is some news. :irked :mad: :confused
  8. Narayan

Narayan Regolare

Chennai
    I have not experienced wheel bearing noise on my Punto. I feel a strange thud kind of noise coming out of my front left wheel, when going over path holes, which i feel is not due to the bearing, but could be related to the torn wheel arch or something related to the suspension.
  9. eldrid

eldrid Amatore

London, United Kingdom
    London, United Kingdom
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Well the noise from the left was surely faulty wheel bearings as after replacement the sound stopped. And yes that sound used to increase with speed. Also the service centre sent the hub and the bearing somewhere outside as they had to be press fitted on a lathe mahcine. The noise from the right, on the other hand, does not increase with speed and is audible only when the car is doing speeds between 20-40 im not sure whether this is regular tyre noise...but it never existed earlier. I shall have the wheels aligned, balanced and rotated this coming weekend and see if the sound disappears.
  10. karan desai

karan desai Superiore

Morbi, Gujrat
    the noise at 20-40 has to be the tyre noise. i also get the same noise. i also thought it was the bearing noise but later i found out that it was the tyre noise.