1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto Vs Ritz

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by ashtek, Aug 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    It is beyond words about goodness of fiat cars. There are couple of drawbacks like lack of cubby holes,bit sluggish in low speed. but there are no issues with gearbox. It is specifically made for india type environment where it isnt legal to go above 70kmph and congested traffic where you crawl most of the time.
    good ride quality and great steering is a bliss ,add as a compliment from fiat.
    some say GC is a problem but rest assured it is the bottom engine guard which scrapes(most of the time) which is a tough 3mm steel shield and it is immune to lot of impacts.

Ritz is no comparison to Punto. price to feature ratio is kind of daylight robbery wrt ritz taking advantage of popularity of suzuki in india with cramped rear,next to nil boot space,awkward looks.
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

The engine in the Ritz is manufactured by Maruti at their Manesar plant. It is a licensed copy of the FIAT Multijet engine.

The FIAT Multijet is the more refined of the two. Continued use of mineral oil in the Maruti diesel is bound to affect long term refinement. FIATs use semi synthetic in their engines.

This is more of a perception than a fact. I would suggest reading the ownership reviews section to have a first hand view of the service. Some so called "forums" just keep gossiping without any firm basis. Don't wish to name any. ;)

And 6.7L for the Ritz is grossly overpriced. Go for the Punto. It's more car than the Ritz.

3. niranjan_81

In the end if you are just worried about ASS then as many have said it's not that a major issue as it is pointed out to be. Infact one of my colleague told me that he was not required to go to service station even once apart from regular servicing in the past 2 years of possession.
    Now, if this issue is solved, the next thing remained is looks and performace which even you may agree it is better then Ritz.Where is the confusion now buddy?
  4. ashtek

ashtek Amatore

Grande Punto 1.3
    I went to KHT motors today and met the sales guy as discussed with him 2 days ago. He first showed me a GP 1.2 Emotion which was on display and explained me the features. After a few min, the TD vehicle (1.3 EP) came and we went for a test drive. We went both in good road and also in some bad road. Well... my first impression about the driving experience is - it is truly fantastic. In the third gear and fourth gear it just flies! Honestly I did not expect this kind of pick up form a diesel engine.
    And the build quality of the vehicle definitely makes one feel confident inside.

On the other side, however, I noticed these two things -

When I moved to second gear there was a slight delay (2 sec or less) before I could feel the power (turbo lag?).
    - But I have had a TD of i20 some time ago and it was really bad at second gear, nowhere near GP.

I felt that the rear seat could have been a bit wider (to provide better thigh support, esp for long journeys) and with recline feature (I can push back the rear seat to some extent in my WagonR similar to how the front seat reclines).
    - people who have gone on long drives sitting at the rear seat (or feedback from family members about the rear seat comfort) can comment on this.

I'll be going for a TD of Ritz tomorrow and update more on it later.

One question on FE:
    As per the specs,
    Mileage of Ritz is 19 (city) and 23 (highway)
    GP's mileage is 17 (city) and 23 (highway)

Sales guy told me that customers have reported a city mileage of 17-18 and highway mileage of 21-22 for Emotion (16 and 20+ for EP).
    All I want to know is if there's a big difference in 'actual' FE between the two.
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  5. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Your experience about lag in 2nd gear is correct, but I think you would adjust your driving in 1-2 weeks.
    Rear seat, only issue, I think, is height, otherwise no other issues. I have had long drive recently, with no tiredness, for driver as well rear passenger.

Regarding FE, have a look at this thread of actual FE owners are getting - http://www.teamfiat.co.in/forum/showthread.php?205-What-s-your-car-s-Fuel-Efficiency
    FE will match with Swift and Ritz.

I get ~15 in City and 20+ on highway.
  6. teky

teky Esperto

The rear seat on the Punto is so-so in my opinion if you've a tall well built person in the front. With the seats pushed back you just some amount of space left, it should be comfortable for two short persons in the back. I've never sat in the rear seat of Punto, But my wife says it could have been a bit spacier. This car is best for four persons, Fifth person may be welcome on shorter trips.

You should look into the fuel efficiency thread for this. The worst I've ever got was 14.5 (Bumper to Bumper City traffic) and best 26.1 on a highway journey. It also depends on your driving style, So the figures quoted by the SP seems achievable easily with good driving etiquette and light foot. But the MJD is a bit rev-friendly so I don't keep looking at the mileage rather rip it most of the times, post 3rd gear after 2000 RPM she is so fun to drive.
  7. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Grande Punto 1.4
    Very true. In fact, in the last two years, I had to go to the service center only for the routine service and the free service camps provided by FIAT. I never had a bad experience from the SC, nor did my car give me any trouble.
  8. royj

royj Esperto

This alone (75% no-traffic outskirts) is enough reason to go for Punto. You will enjoy a comfortable drive and obtain great FE as well.
  9. amar_gahir

amar_gahir Amatore

I got my punto's 3rd Service done yesterday... i gave the car @ 10 and my car was properly serviced and was ready to be released by 3:00 pm.. with all oil changes....Engine, transmission, brake, steering bla bla.... with some other jobs....console bulb replaced, left rear view mirror, reverse gear light,

I really liked the way cars are handled there.... so getting a service for punto is not an issue anymore.....

i felt that.. SAs feel happy to talk to fiat owners as compared to tata owners... ;-).. and i am happy that they know the difference in the expectations from fiat owners....
  10. I think almost all the important things have been already covered about the differences between the two vehicles. However, i would like to highlight one important factor. COMFORT.

After having driven the GP over a wide variety of terrains, from the supersmooth Pune- Mumbai expressway and bangalore highway to some really remote villages of maharashtra, i can bet that you can't and i repeat, you can't buy a more comfortable hatchback in India today. The suspension is really amazing. Suspensions work simply on the fundamental that stiffer is the suspension, better would be the handling of the car. But also, a stiffer suspension means an uncomfortable ride. Yes, we aren't talking here about a supercar but a hatchback. But FIAT really has pulled this one off stunningly. A car with this levels of comfort greatly enhances the capacity of the driver to drive long distances. I myself have driven almost 900km in 12 hours straight and yet was able to move about here and there. There are countless time that i have hovered over speeds of 130-140 and i could do that only because the car is hugely confidence inspiring. If you still need to get what i am on about, drive a ANHC or a Verna fluidic over 100ish and then drive the GP. You will most certainly be surprised.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.