1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto Vs Ritz

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by ashtek, Aug 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ashtek

ashtek Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Do you mean there's some problem with the gearbox of GP? If yes, can you please provide more details on that?
    I am looking for a diesel hatchback and I have shortlisted GP and Ritz (I have never owned a fiat before, currently I have a WagonR). I'm planning to have TD of both this weekend.
    Also, any idea when Fiat will launch Punto Evo in India, and will it have the new 1.3 MultiJet-II that is currently sold in Europe? If yes, I think I can wait for it! (assuming that it will be priced similar to current GP)
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    There is no ''problem'' as such with the gearbox in the Punto.

The only grouse that some Punto owners have with the gearbox is that the gear ratios are not so suited for a performance drive. But that is the opinion of a certain section of members. I know guys who say the Punto flies as is with this very gearbox. The Punto 90hp diesel is another matter altogether.

As for the competition between Ritz and Punto. Well it's like putting Charlie Chaplin in the boxing ring against Mohammad Ali. You know the outcome. ;)

Go for the Punto. No two thoughts. If you can stretch your budget a bit more , then Punto 90 hp diesel is the one. The segment benchmark.

Cheers.
  3. vikastwister

vikastwister Novizio

Noida
    There is no issue with the gearbox of the Punto, only the first gear is short. But it helps in driving Punto in back to back traffic. With just feather touch of clutch with out using accelerator you can drive it. And from 2nd (This is also some what short) gear onwards, its a rocket. And with time you gets used to it.
  4. kaps

kaps Superiore

Arakkonam
    The "boomerang" technology of Ritz had me in splits for quite some time. Whenever I see a Ritz, it reminds me of a hearse, only garishly painted.
  5. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Why don't you test drive both the cars back to back? Only then you would feel the premium offered by the Punto. For me, Ritz shouldn't be compared with GP. Both are in different segments.
  6. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    This is like Brazil vs mohun bagan in football.. :)
  7. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    You need to tell us your requirements, budget, preferences in order to suggest you. If you have enough budget and take the car to highway regularly it has to be the 90hp. Please check on the forum about Tata Fiat ASS in your place before making the decision.

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk
  8. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Ritz can't be compared with Punto.
    Punto is always ahead in Ride & Handling,Suspension,Road stability & most imp.safety.

And who says ASS of Maruti is on top level ?.

My Dzire is giving problem of brake grabbing & noise of clutch bearing (In reverse gear at incline) from the first day of its purchase. I have completed 20000 KM in year.

I done 4 services of car. Everytime I showed these problem. And everytime maruti service personnel avoided to replace parts by doing temporary remeady.
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  9. ashtek

ashtek Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thank you all for your inputs.

As far as I know both GP and Ritz have the same 1.3 diesel engine manufactured by Fiat, (though Suzuki have tweaked it a bit), have similar FE and both of them are priced almost similarly (Ritz VDI with ABS=6.7L OTR and GP Emotion=7L OTR in Bangalore). Just curious to know, in spite of these similarities, why do you say that these are from different segments?

I have gathered the following information from all the forums:

Ritz VDI with ABS
    Engine is more peppy/refined (tuning by Suzuki)
    Better gearshift
    Better A.S.S from MSIL and resale value (anyway I intend to keep the car for long, my WagonR is now 7.5 yrs old!)
    Slightly better interior plastic quality

Body roll on highway is more
    Looks (subjective, I'm a bit used to it now though I did not like it at all when it was launched)
    Average rear seat leg room

GP 1.3 MJD Emotion

It looks awesome
    Better build quality
    Better handling on highway
    Offers more features such as Fire prevention, Keyless entry, Electric ORVM, Rear AC vents, rear defogger, etc...
    Bigger boot space

Poor A.S.S (this is my major concern)
    Average rear seat leg room

If anyone has driven both the cars (not just test driven), would be keen to know your experience. Anyway I would be going for TD this weekend but we cannot really experience everything in one short TD.

When I checked with Fiat, they said Punto Evo petrol version might be launched in around 2 months time, and diesel version may take longer. ANd he did not know whether Evo will be equipped with MultiJet-II.

PS: I drive around 50km everyday [75% in no-traffic (outskirts) and 25% in city] and intend to drive around 700km on long drives once in 2-3 months.
  10. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    finish the test drives.. u'll come to know. And its not us saying that. They do belong to different segments!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.