1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto vs rest of world

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by markrting_rohitm, Feb 14, 2014.

1. kaps

kaps Superiore

Arakkonam
    This is a case for going into evolution when cars did not have turn indicator stalks and gear shifter was mounted on the steering columns. In modern cars, I guess the indicator stalk has replaced the gear shift stalk where as wiper control has remained at the same side.
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  2. sine04

sine04 Regolare

Mysore/Bangalore, Karnataka.
    Fiat Enthusiast
    90% of the users won't even notice this. Why would a manufacturer worry about the ease of access demand of the remaining 10%? In fact its quite contrary to their policy that customers shouldn't meddle with thingummies! As long as the technicians are properly trained and are made aware of the location of the components, all well isn't it?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  3. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai
    More well planned engine bay, looks more sleeker with lot of sound insualtion packings, usage of materials look more up market and not made to a cost, plastics used look more rugged and better finished. Quality speaks, this is a unbiased comment. Doors close with a milder thud, even though they were heavier than the puntos doors.

"@sine04: To again state an already much overstated fact- the suspension set up and the steering preciseness we get in a Punto is not matched in cars falling under much, much higher bracket! The nearest one can get is in a Ford."

Where you mentioning about Octy and Fiesta which were less favourable compared to a punto, are you sure ? Skoda claims what they have is a electro hydraulic unit the ones used in the Abarth Essesse,

The only reason we all love punto is styling, uncompromised basics such as no compromise on safety, shaving of weight, ride and handling, comes as a single package with no borrow of technology. I was told Punto shares the legendary OPEL CORSA' s chassis which was considered a great car of its time in germany esp.
  4. sine04

sine04 Regolare

Fiat Enthusiast
    I should've been specific, my bad. The Octavia and fiesta I've driven were the older models.

5. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai
    Many have appreciated punto's ride and handling, but i have also heard praises for older pdi octy's and fiesta classic which was also HPS unit and not eps like All New Fiesta.

Are there still car makers be it budget or luxury still rely only Hydraulic Power Steering ? Merc, BMW all migrated long ago for better technologies.
  6. sine04

sine04 Regolare

Fiat Enthusiast
    The difference is not just EPS vs HPS. Its about the entire steering system design and not restricted to only the part that provides the boost. A properly 'tuned' EPS unit will be leagues ahead in the response and feel division, with the added advantage of being lighter in weight and non-power sapping. It is just that HPS units have been around for a while and EPS need a bit of catch up time.

7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Exactly contrary to this is how the market perceives. The only reason popular Maruti, Hyundai or Honda cars (not all models) fare better in sales and have good resale demand and values is due to easy fixability (including diagnostics), cheaper and more available parts and quicker general turnaround of servicing. I have heard many mechanics crib about the fact that to fix one part in particular cars, it takes them too much time to open too many things in the process. They say the customers get get irate and so do the guys working on the car. And besides that customers are not willing to pay to that level, but again that is a different issue with lots of ifs and buts.

Not everyone can afford service centers, and if I may suggest lots and lots of them fleece customers for labour and parts never used. There are thousands of customers who get fed up with service centers till they finally settle on some smaller garages with enough infrastructure to do routine service and repairs. It keeps the costs manageable atleast. Having said that please search what dreadful experiences people have had with Skoda SCs, not to be matched by any other car manufacturer yet. It all came down to customers paying through their nose.

Isn't layout simplicity a boon as such and a strong point in someways. I personally will like it that way than a cramped engine bay with rubber burning around when the compartment heats. And agreed customers don't decide on that factor alone, but do they notice these small things; they surely do. Just like many notice every small bit of annoyance of Puntos or Lineas or any other car.

Agreed 100% :D

Now if only a Skoda customer wasn't asked to pay like 3 lac rupees for replacement engine supposedly costing 6 lacs that too for a Fabia costing 8 lacs for a manufacturing defect that Skoda owned up to in the first place. The case is documented on another forum.

Point is, every company and product has goods and bads, and even the best companies fail to live upto consumer expectations every now and then with very good overall product. The wonderful Fabia, a shining example of our tricky markets.
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  8. sine04

sine04 Regolare

Fiat Enthusiast
    Isn't what you have inferred more to do with the advancement in engine technology and the complexities arising from it and less to do with just the layout?
    I have indeed read the Skoda horror stories. I had shared the link here too IIRC. What surprises me though is how can others be sure that they too aren't subjected to the same treatment? How can a common man know if, say, the disc pad he has just replaced is a genuine part or not?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  9. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai
    What ever happened was not by with the knowledge of the people in the higher ups, i beleive the one happebened was due to the selfishness of the Skoda's service personnel who has cheated the customer and also his employers for his personal benefit. This cannot happen with the knowledge of all the higher ups. They are not a jugaad company atleast from my understadning and have some prescence and technology.

But one incident which i find fishy from management level was a Jetta customer who had left his car for some issue fixation was dilly dallied by the Service manager for a longer time from not handing over the vehicle later to be found that the vehicle was caught up in a accident during a test drive and the same was not ocmmunciated to the customer on time, That was a breach of trust and huge compromise from the company level to customer.
  10. sine04

sine04 Regolare

Fiat Enthusiast
    Why don't you talk about the response from the management after the issue was brought to their 'knowledge'? :)

This too is at the dealer level, if my understanding of your narration is correct.
    TFI member ChethanSGangoor too had a similar, albeit smaller scale incident, wherein the 'racer' mechanics damaged 3 of his brand new Momos and tried to pass it off. But he spotted it and wrung them till they owned up and made good the damage.