1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto vs rest of world

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by markrting_rohitm, Feb 14, 2014.

1. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai
    1. I beleive the weight reduction was the removal of the link rod or soemthing and nothing to do the body shell, 2009 and 2012 puntos have the same body shell except that 2012 will not have that rod at the rear, as per my knowledge/

2. If you say it's because of european design then the same philosophy is not followed by other european manufacturers or even japenese manufacturers. I see VW, SKODA , AUDI, even HONDA, HYUNDAI', Toyota's have the RPM at the left side. I strongly beleive it s a deliberate decision to keep it at the right hand side..

Talk about LHD fiat freemont's they ll have the RPM as the left dial and not right hand side.

Maybe Automakers (FIAT/BMW/PORSCHE) who feel their customers to focus more on the engine rpm as a reference to drive the car and not the speed may be. We cannot forget the BIG RPM dials in the Porsche's at the center and speed at the side most and tiny. Nowadays i see even Radiotor water temperature digi-analog guage is omitted.

I strongly wish to bring back oil pressure guage as standard in the dashboard, is it possible ?
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Yes Yashik, you are very correct in mentioning the same. It is one of the biggest annoyance on our Fiats, I still start the wipers instead of the turn indicators every few months..:A
    And having two Fiats in family, a Linea and a Siena doesn't help..::pP
    I try to convince myself like "Duh..what am I thinking, these are european after all and it's something I should adapt to after all for choosing an otherwise unique car and brand."
  3. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai
    Like already mentioned before, If you say it's because of european design then the same philosophy is not followed by other european manufacturers or even japenese manufacturers. I see VW, SKODA , AUDI, even HONDA, HYUNDAI', Toyota's have the RPM at the left side. I strongly beleive it s a deliberate decision to keep it at the right hand side..
    1 person likes this.
  4. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I just did a search on Google and found this:
    speedometer on the left side

My observation is as follows:
    01. In European Punto, wiper stalk and headlight stalk are located on right and left side respectively, i.e. the same as in Indian Punto.
    02. Tacho is on right side and speedo is on left side, i.e. same as on Indian Punto.

Some other things have been swapped due to India being a country with left hand side traffic. e.g. Reverse light has been shifted to the left side.

To summarize I do not think that it was a deliberate decision to let these thing stay where they are as there is no benefit or losses obvious to me. It has just been kept like it was as the part is imported and it is like this only from where it comes from. :) :p

Then, somewhere I lost track as a well knowledgeable person told me that the antiroll bar was not present and it was merely a correction in the brochure. I will check out a 2009 Punto that is found sometimes in the parking at my workplace.
    1 person likes this.
  5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Deliberate it is, but why? I think the decisions about RPM or even indicator-cum-headlight stalk and wiper stalk are more to do with keeping things simpler from the manufacturing and inventory point. Of course cost is the deciding factor, it's not as if the car is designed for the richest or elitest of Indians in mind like a custom Rolls Royce. So unless the customer base is that choosy about these details, they would rather stick to original designs and formulas.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  6. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai
    Fiat-Freemont-2-0-Cockpit-fotoshowImage-687d9416-56687.jpg 2013-Lexus-GS-350-cockpit.jpg 2013-Volvo-S60-T5-AWD-cockpit.jpg range rover ock.jpg a8 cockpit.jpg porsche-carrera-s-cockpit.jpg c350cdi.jpg 530d.jpg
    Agreed, but unable to conclude as to what could be the exact reasons for having the RPM as the right dial. When compared this is what i got. BMW, MERC, RANGE ROVERS, have them at the right where as AUDI, LEXUS, VOLVO, FIAT have them at the left.

Please look at above pictures to add to the confusion !!!
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Recently I saw a video about Fiat 500 that was specially tweaked for the American consumers with extra features. Now charging bit extra 1000-1500 dollars for a car makes a difference to the average American as well, but to an average Indian in Rupee value the amount looks even bigger and it can simply break the deal. Cost cutting due to taxation issues and old attitude of foreign car makers towards pushing older designs and products is still there, but they also face a tough time to demand premium and get the target sales in our markets more than in west. The whole economy factor dampens their spirit somewhere to make things exclusive from the Indian customer standpoint. So that there is another reason for those deliberate choices being made. :p

On a similar note and not to steer the discussion in a whole new area, but recent excise cut incentive and it's cost vs value benefit to customers is much less than it would directly help the companies improve their profits or curtail losses. Let's see how many companies bring out more India centric customised products now. Foreign or most companies for that matter, with their global viewpoint, do not have that good a reason to give us something extra going out of their way.

The issues we have mentioned herewith are too trivial it looks like since they apparently are not deal breakers from the company sales standpoint which is mostly what matters these days to designers, engineers and their bosses.
  8. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai
    In the interest of not digressing too much from the core thread, wanted to reinforce the facts that FIAT india can incorporate certain techniques from improvement standpoint. My point was Skoda Fabia was more impressive in the fit and finish and quality of parts used department, Even Engine bay was well laid out and looked impressive. Fiat can definetly look to address those. Even rubber used were of top nothc quality.
  9. sine04

sine04 Regolare

Mysore/Bangalore, Karnataka.
    Mysore/Bangalore, Karnataka.
    Fiat Enthusiast
    @sriramr9- "Engine bay was well laid out and looked impressive". What do you mean by that? *Confused*

Having driven the likes of Swift, i20 Pulse, Vento, Accent, Verna, Fiesta, Octavia, Rapid etc. etc., for extended durations, I always come back looking fondly at my Punto. Sometimes, its less than half the price of what I place it against, but still it comes back looking a much better package!
    To again state an already much overstated fact- the suspension set up and the steering preciseness we get in a Punto is not matched in cars falling under much, much higher bracket! The nearest one can get is in a Ford.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  10. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    I think he means a cleaner and more clutterfree layout the pipings etc., with everything more visible and easier to access. Skoda Fabia is ahead in that department I am afraid.
    1 person likes this.