1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto vs rest of world

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by markrting_rohitm, Feb 14, 2014.

1. markrting_rohitm

markrting_rohitm Amatore

PHAGWARA
    My ride is Punto 1.3 mjd active since last 45 days. Today I had a chance to test ride a polo TDI highline. I was shocked after driving the car. How and why people are paying 8 lac for such car. believe me only gear shift is better than Punto rest everything is far behind. Whether its pick up, thrust, ground clearance or grip on road. Can't comment on mileage. What u guys think. Just share ur views. Let this thread be the podium for comparison of Punto and rest of the world.

I travel in many cars. but I cruise in my PUNTO
    8 people like this.
  2. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I think we all know the outcome of this thread. :D

Everyone on this website has bought a Fiat for this very reason, that it drives like no other. And looks like no other. And feels like no other.
    7 people like this.
  3. markrting_rohitm

markrting_rohitm Amatore

PHAGWARA
    Agree but for new fiatians like me specific comparison will be good for learning and sharing

4. PaddleShifter

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    The biggest difference I found between these two cars is that the 3 cylinder engines of the VW are really a disadvantage.

Back in 2010, Polo was a car with 4 tyres, a cabin, power windows, airbags, power steering, manual HVAC and most importantly, twin horns. No steering mounted audio controls or anything. Still it was Rs40,000/- costlier than Punto. The brochure mentioned features like halogen headlamps, tool kit etc. to make up for lesser features in the car.
    1 person likes this.
  5. kr_vasudev

kr_vasudev Superiore

Bangalore
    Mods -- Please delete this post Punto is missing here or change the title from Punto to Fiat cars

We had two long journeys last year

1. Skoda Laura TDI (Bangalore - Shiridi - Pune - Bangalore) -- Mileage 22 KMPL
    2. Linea TJet+ (Bangalore - Kolhapur - Pandarapur - Bijapur - Gokarana - Bangalore) -- 17 KMPL

I am aware Skoda is a one segment above Linea.

1. Skoda is a super feature rich and love to drive on highways
    2. Linea is little better than Laura in terms of handling and breaking

This experience is over 2000 KMS of highway and state highway drives including spirited top speeds of 190+ KPH and 90% sedate driving on 80 KPH.

Palio was my another best car especially the steering precision feedback and rear sit the two things I cannot experience in any other car.

FIAT owners are well informed customers, very particular about small things and highly demanding in nature unlike other car owners, agree ?

Thanks
    Vasu
    4 people like this.
  6. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai
    I got chance to do PDI of Skoda Fabia TDI 1.2. Instantly what i felt was, it was way well screwed and things held well and fit and finish compared to Punto was leaps ahead.

Also second important point is body shell. It was much harder, or atleast felt harder. I was unable to lift the Fabia's bonnect with one hand. Need considerable force to lift. Being a punto owner i am well aware it was much heavier than punto's bonnet. I fee skoda fabia can take even a bigger beating than punto in an unfortunate event on road. Fabia's shell is tough. I have not compared kerb weights though, but have read in their website that he dry kerb weight of a diesel 1.2 fabia is 1152kg,

Not sure about highway behavior, but other highlights i felt were the touch operated electrical boot door opener. Glove box light, Over all finishing and engine bay layout which looked superior to Punto's.

Punto is my first love, but also wanted to highlight skoda's points here to be realistic and unbiased,Fabia is one car that can rival, challenge and also beat punto in terms of build quality, ride and stability in high speeds.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
    3 people like this.
  7. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Are your sure about this ? :D
  8. markrting_rohitm

markrting_rohitm Amatore

PHAGWARA
    Yes gears were damn smooth

1 person likes this.
  9. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai
    Also engine bay layout, fiat has room for improvement. rubber beadings, fit and finish, doors openign closing rhythm all are far ahead. Of course gear shift quality is precise and well slotted. Did not try a high speed run though to check steering preciseness and suspension setup.

I am just highlighting the points on a back to back comparison between both products and i am not brand loyal on this statement. Fiat always close to heart, but felt the need to be practical to embrace constant improvement demand.

On the inside, the stock stereo sounded better and the Green backlighting was nice too on par with Punto's orange in terms of functional and aesthestic appearence.

One major difference i find in the fiat's is the right hand side placement of the RPM counter. Where as other brands it s on the left side save for BMW, MERC which have their rev counters placed as the right hand side dial. What could be the reason ?
  10. PaddleShifter

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Fabia at 1152Kg is heavier than current Punto by 20-25Kg IIRC as Punto lost weight in 2010 in an effort to improve the power to weight ratio when the performance was being benchmarked against the Swift by most people on the forums. Punto was launched in 2009 as a 1190Kg car. Maybe we can compare the doors and bonnets of our current Punto with some 2009 model.

Could it be related to the cars being LHD in these European countries? That's why even the indicator-cum-headlight stalk and wiper stalk are also positioned on the opposite sides as compared to other cars.