1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto Submerged in water - what mess i am in?

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by adi231189, Oct 12, 2013.

1. adi231189

adi231189

New Delhi
    Hi guys thanks for the help, @Vj that is exactly from where water got sucked in. The Air filter was completely wet. Well pushing the key to MAR, the dash was working, i mean the fuel gauge and the usual warning lights about handbrake etc. Tomorrow the Surveyor, is coming to see about the final detailed estimate.

Tomorrow will have a clear picture, also does Turbo get damaged by water? I asked a mechanic he strictly said no.

P.s currently in contact with a local mechanic that @manishgarg921 told about. So thank to him, but will like to get something sorted from Workshop itself, since they have yet to open up the engine or anything for that matter
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. adi231189

adi231189

New Delhi
    Hi guys, finally got my car back yesterday, no major work done on the Engine since the connecting rods were not bent and cylinder etc. were perfectly fine. The engine was put apart in front of me, since i clearly told them so. I and my relative (who knows more about cars) was with me and inspected everything. Finally talked to the Kashyap advisor Mr Lalit, he told me engine is safe nothing to worry, but it needed some minor repairs, but insisted on Turbo being blocked and needing replacement.

Since i had filed for a claim had to inform the insurance surveyor (changed twice) to see the car after the engine was opened and tell what all expense the company will bear. The surveyor gave the go ahead for expenses that were within his parameters (hydro static lock is not a case of insurance ). So spares and major expense have to borne by the owner.

My relative told him not to change the turbo and get the car started first, will look into the turbo after that. So after two days of working on it finally yesterday i was told car was ready. Mr.OP Sharma had test driven the vehicle and told that the turbo was fine rather than earlier stated which would have increased the expense manifold.

In the end the total cost still came to 17K for everything, way below what i expected but happy that the engine required minor work (felt that hardly anything was done to be true)

Now after riding for about 20kms didn't feel any difference as such, will be seeing how the car behaves in the coming days.

Really happy to get my Blue Messiah back in action. Thank you guys for all your inputs, helped a lot in putting a bit pressure on the workshop guys.

P.s: @gurjinder bhai seriously if my car had been over a year old i think, i would have given it to a local workshop and the solution you told about removing injectors would have worked easily i suppose.

Also i will thank manish again for getting me in contact with his trusted mechanic, his mechanic was very confident that the turbo could not get damaged much not matter what. Manish would should surely plan a delhi meet, really my big thanks even though i didn't get it fixed from the mechanic of yours, surely his number will come in handy.

Edit: My total shell out on getting it back ws 4.5K
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
    2 people like this.
  3. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    Congrats on getting the car back on road. Good to hear that no major work was required.

What was covered by insurance then?
  4. tiaf

tiaf Novizio

Chennai
    I hope it should be a great relief for you!
    Congrats on getting your car back !!
  5. adi231189

adi231189

New Delhi
    Well Vj, insurance will not cover any replacement of parts done on the engine. The labor charges for dismantling the engine & fixing it will be given by the insurer in case of hydrolock. Also washing of the vehicle will also be borne by the insurer.

As far as i know i was told the first day by the insurer that hydro lock is a tuff nut, and major repairs would have to be borne by me. I was lucky (touch wood) to get away without much damage to my car and my pocket as well.

Hydro Locking considered to be negligence of the driver to start the car after it gets into water and stops, so under the terms no insurer covers the damage to the engine, other parts damaged due to rain water are covered as per my knowledge (in my case turbo would have been covered if am right)

One thing i will surely advice everyone, workshop guys charge exorbitant amounts for small repair the labor charges were 14K itself for not so much major work on the engine.
    Since my car had not even done 1 yr with me was hesitant getting it done outside and doubts about future warranty issues.

I think it would have hardly cost me less than 5k labor charges to get it repaired (got a quote from my relatives mechanic)

Yes tiaf big big relief, it was as if a relative may have required a heart surgery but it was just heart burn. :D

I think finally it is time to write my ownership review (since now i have lots of masala to add to it ) ;)
  6. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    Actually, all dealers charge high when an insurance claim is made. If it were you paying all the money, you could negotiate on labor and fiat management has been very helpful in such scenarios. We havr seen quite a few cases here on tfi itself.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk
  7. adi231189

adi231189

New Delhi
    @vj well personally i would say it is true what you said since i had negotiated on the labor charges myself considering that i thought the insurance co. may not pay much. So got the labor charges to be reduced after constant follow up. I would give all the credit my mother who works in a General insurance for past 35 yrs, and she knows how workshop guys have tendency to inflate bills, so regarding the costing front she was the one who put her foot down firmly :D