1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto Submerged in water - what mess i am in?

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by adi231189, Oct 12, 2013.

1. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    In this case, water got sucked into the engine thru the air Intake.
  2. adi231189

adi231189

New Delhi
    Guys need some urgent help, today the surveyor came to the workshop. Total estimated (rough) cost told is Rs 1.5L. I really have no clue that how they came up with that much.

The following are some item that were told were Turbo, Half blood, Gasket Kit, Cylinder Oil, Oil Filter, A/c Filter, Gear oil, Dashboard , BCM, ECM.

Guys really need help on this, i didn't know a simple waterlogged car will require this much amount of changes
  3. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Dashboard? Come on.

I feel you are being taken on a ride. Inspect the vehicle in their premises with an outside mechanic and assess the damages.
  4. adi231189

adi231189

New Delhi
    DRIV3R, well I really don't have the know how so can't tell but currently considering the option you gave as well. Anyone who knows a good mechanic in east Delhi, kindly help.

My doubt was that can the ECM Get damaged with water that was uptill the accelerator peddle
  5. varoon9999

varoon9999 Superiore

New Delhi,HP 48
    New Delhi,HP 48
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Really sad to know this,as my understanding goes none of the insurance provider covers up for the damage done because of water.

Secondly if at all your engin block is getting replaced pls ensure that the service centre fellows puts a genuine new block.Got to know that in such cases some of the ASS gets this engine redo from mayapuri and charge you bomb for the new engine.
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  6. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

ECM is present approximately at the same height of the AC vents within the cabin. So, I guess you have the answer. However there is a remote possibility of the ECM to get damaged due to some short circuit that might have happened due to water in some wires. After the incident, did you get all tell tale lights on the dash when key was in MAR? Similarly, BCM is also at similar heights.
  7. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    BCM is right behind the grey area.

BCM.jpg

Those are the ECU connector's. The ECU is like a book. Measures about 6-7 inches vertically. Most of it is water tight but can't say if water seeped from the connector on top since you mentioned waves of water. Like driver said, if the lights on the dash are glowing when you turn on the key to MAR position, the ECU and BCM might be intact.

Water got sucked into your engine from the pipe marked in green, so im thinking you waded thru water that high.

ECU.jpg

If i were you, i would take leave from work for a couple of days and have them open up everything in front of me and assess the damage.

And i wouldn't think the dashboard would be damaged due to water, it is neither electronic nor mechanical, it's just plastic.
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  8. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Did the car completely die electrically when it stopped? Or did it just refuse to start and the routine dash lights were showing?

1.5 lakhs is a LOT of dough and it is reasonable to expect the final quote to be a bit higher as it always happens. I am bummed as to how the electricals just died? :confused:
  9. rpm19050

rpm19050

Delhi
    which workshop is this buddy? i suspect they want to change everything other than seats and steel. you need an independent survey. and note down ecm serial number asap.
  10. pdydeva

pdydeva Regolare

India
    I am afraid your understanding is wrong. Insurance companies cover damage to vehicle due to flood and natural calamities too. Also the owner has mentioned clearly, it's the surveyor who has given the estimate of 1.5L