1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto Submerged in water - what mess i am in?

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by adi231189, Oct 12, 2013.

1. adi231189

adi231189

New Delhi
    Hi guys,

The rains may have been good for overall mood, but they were definitely a dampner for me (i mean literally), my car got submerged while i was moving through gurgoan roads (or i should say where was the road!!). The 50ft road was completely waterlogged and suddenly my punto just stopped with the waves from the idiotic cars that were trying to weave through the water at considerable speed.

The water came inside through the door, till the accelerator level. Got the car towed all the way to Noida, since Torque fiat workshop is still not even half established. The towing charges were whooping 3K and the towing time was 3+ hrs, reached Kashyap Fiat at 5 PM, with the service advisor intially asking me whether i tried to start the Car, i told i didn't (as far as remember).
    He immediately opened the air filter which was fully drenched in water, called his engineer showed him the filter condition. They talked about the condition a bit when i was frantically figuring out what the hell all the Jargon's they were talking about (Sorry not technically sound about cars still :confused:).

Finally engineer told remove plug and some other thing and leave it (Sir intercooler mein paani gaya ho sakta hey). After that came the word, sir go home and relax ( sir tension maat lo zyada dekhtey hey). The tension statement itself left me thinking about worst case scenario.

If there is internal damage, what are the long term consequences guys?
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    There just might be hope yet.

A similar case happened here in Chandigarh with a Punto. It ingested water and shut down. The dealer wanted to rebuild the entire engine. The local garage guys removed the injectors and cranked the engine - all the water in the engine came out. They got the injectors cleaned, oil + filter changed and the car is fine till today.

But all of it depends on knowing the extent of damage. Assuming the engine shutdown before mechanical damage could occur.

Keep us posted on what diagnosis they give. All of us here can help guide you along.
    1 person likes this.
  3. adi231189

adi231189

New Delhi
    Well according to the service advisor, the info i received was the engine has ceased. This is really bad news considering that the car has not even crossed 10K kms.
  4. gurjinder

Punjab
    I believe they mean the engine has "hydro-locked". But that begs the question - have they really made sure to check that the engine is gone for sure ( bent connecting-rods etc).

Or are they just giving answers based on your report?
  5. adi231189

adi231189

New Delhi
    Actually gurjinder it is an early assessment, as said by him. I am currently heading to the workshop myself to get a clear picture. Just said engine ceased from initial assessment and said there is too much water
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  6. gurjinder

Punjab
    Keep them on their toes. And ask them to do what I have suggested in the 2nd post - remove the injectors , get water out and then see how everything is.

A half engine alone is worth 50K. So try and exhaust every option to salvage this engine.
  7. Dipesh_enr

Dipesh_enr Amatore

Mumbai
    Guri Bhai "The Saviour".
    1 person likes this.
  8. adi231189

adi231189

New Delhi
    Currently the guys said it looks like hydro-lock, and i asked about connecting rods, he told me not gone that far to verify it. Since the insurance guy told me that you should not get any work carried out on the car until surveyor is appointed.

Well will try to tell them what you told me, but convincing someone about doing things which i myself have little or no knowledge become difficult.
  9. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    This monsoon I happened to wade through at least 3-4 feet water logged road.I kept my foot on the accelerator to keep up the pressure so that the water doesn't enter silencer.Luckily nothing happened.

Don't worry buddy this is the reason we take insurance for.
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  10. adi231189

adi231189

New Delhi
    @varin well the cost is something that is one thing in my mind, but it is not at all fun to see something you bought with a heart to go under the knife so early.

I just hope that major things should not have to be done..will require TFI help to get this through