1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto Sport Spare (stepney) Size 14"

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by srirambond007, Sep 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

These small changes are pretty common(read as measures of cost cutting),and obviously they wont go about printing new user manuals.
    This is why a note is specially mentioned as specifications may change without prior notice.
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Yes sir they will ;)
  3. srirambond007

srirambond007 Amatore

Trivandrum
    @gurjinderji, yes, i was almost about to do that, when my dad said before jumping into a decision check with FIAT..
    @wolverine . yes sir Linea 15" rims are the same.. I have already ordered for one at my Dealer
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Check at some tyre shop. They will have one for cheap.
  5. how much is the price of the 15 inch rims??how much is the exchange price u getting??
  6. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    i hate this move from FIAT :hit
  7. srirambond007

srirambond007 Amatore

Trivandrum
    Close to Rs900 for new ones and won't get much for the 14 inchers . The local tyre shop, New Bharat tyres, quoted 2k for the JK tornado and 5k for the Apollo accelere. he will also be looking for making good profits na.. FIAT has put me in such a bad situation and makes me think why I went my heart for a company which doesn't stand with their customers, but all these feelings and regrets just vanish while I drive My punto...
  8. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Touch your heart and tell me:

1. In your previous car, shod with tubeless tyres, how many times have you had punctures that required the spare to be pulled out?
    2. In the unlikely event of that being necessitated, how many times it happened on a Sunday / far, far away from civilisation?
    3. When you did have to buy new tyres, how worn out was the spare?

We FIATian on the one hand want FIAT to succeed in the market, but we will not compromise even a little bit. What if FIAT decides to shod the Punto Sport with 165/80 R14 all around - crappy JK at that? Wouldn't they be saving a lot more? So, what is preventing them from doing that? They try to save a couple of thousand rupees by giving a workable solution - 195/60 R15 - circumference - 1932.08 mm; 165/80 R14 - circumference - 1946.53 mm; and we cry foul. Did you know that BMW does not give a spare, as they are shod with run-flats? While that sounds like a very reasonable change - after all you can run the tyres even if they are flat, right? - what they do not announce is once you have a flat and run those tyres, they are not repairable anymore. You just have to go buy a new run-flat and trust me, they are not cheap.

Here is what a website says about run-flats "When a tyre is punctured, or the pressure drops below a predetermined level, the driver is alerted by a tyre pressure monitoring system in the car. The vehicle handbook will give precise guidance but generally the car should not be driven above 50mph or for more than 50 to 100 miles before the tyre must be repaired or replaced. The further it is driven, the less likely it is to be repaired as the increased weight on the tyre sides could damage it inside".

Sound very similar to the warning printed on the JK spares, doesn't it? IMHO, we are just making a mountain out of a molehill. I would think of this as my contribution to FIAT for helping them be successful. Wouldn't you rather get behind the wheel of a Punto shod with 195/60 R15 and enjoy the handling, rather than drive another tin foil CSO (Car Shaped Object :D) shod with crappy 165/80 R14 all around including the spare and handled as steadily as a drunk monkey?

Just my 2 cents

Rajan
  9. srirambond007

srirambond007 Amatore

Trivandrum
    Just for ur information, all 3 points happened to me on the same day while rushing back from kanyakumari to catch a train and send my friends off. luckily my zen did have a same size spare.. it was on a sunday and I did switch to the spare and maintained the same speed as before for around 70 kms with peace of mind...

Also, FYI, I m not a rich guy who can afford a FIAT or a BMW just like that , it took me almost 2 years to save the for the down payment and I waited to get my hands on a FIAT, being a fan. So the point of shelling out another 5k of hard earned money for something which WAS a standard equipment is deeply hurting..

10. I really understand your situation very well,after buying the car I wasnt expecting this,but cant help as I cant afford buying a tyre now...My suggestion to you buddy will be keep the same spares atleast till the time when you are in a position to afford a new 15 inch alloy,and at that time only you can buy the tyres...You can try Kava,mumbai..they sell oem alloys for 5-6 k...And then buy second hand 15 inch tyres,like people use oem tyres for a few thousand kms and sell them..

Or one more idea that I think i can share here is,many people sell off their oem alloys shod with tyres,so we guys(people who are victim of this manipulation@bought punto sports),can buy the whole set and then we will take 1 alloys+tyres each..This will be cheaper and affordable...Whats your take on this?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.