1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto Sport Spare (stepney) Size 14"

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by srirambond007, Sep 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. srirambond007

srirambond007 Amatore

Trivandrum
    My Punto sport came with a 14" JK Tornado as spare wheel. Well i noticed this at the time of PDI and informed this to the SA , but he checked and confirmed that FIAT is giving baby-stepney from now on. Well there are two concerns

1. Fellow TFIans who own a Punto sport please confirm whether you are also having 14" spare tyres. Is this a mistake or new standard.

2. If FIAT is doing this, i don't know what kind of mere profit they are after. I have paid 8+ lacs OTR for a premium segment car, for which the top variant has a 15" Alloy for all 4 wheels and a 14" not-matching 165/80 tyres from a different brand. This is injustice. The emotion packs, 90BHPs and the current emotion variants get 15" RIMs as spare wheel, why should the sport which costs more than the 90BHP be given a 14" spare wheel. I am not able to accept this. Even the manual/owners handbook says i am supposed to get a 195/60 R15 spare wheel. This is a negative feature don't you think guys. Prospective buyers will give this a thought, if they come to know about this . Please comment and advise. I am disappointed with this one.
  2. Arkin

Arkin Amatore

My 2011 90hp came with a 15" spare.
    If your user manual suggests you were supposed to have got a 15" spare, point it out to the dealer, and try getting it, at least as a freebie, if not as an acknowledged mistake.
    I do not think this could (make sense if it was to) be a cost cutting measure, since the price difference between the 14" & 15" wheel is negligible , & difference in the price of the tire could be 1-2 k max.

3. 1)I own punto sports,even I have the same issue,got a 14 inchers spare wheel from cheap jk tyre...

2)I am not so sure that 75hp emotion variants are getting 15 inchers,whereas the 90hp is getting jk 14 inchers.Maybe this is valid for both 75hp top variant aswell as 90 hp sports..
    Ofcourse this is a cost cutting procedure,other car manufacturers practice this,so now Fiat also took this...

3)Dont worry too much about the tyres,you will be using 14 inch spare only incase of punctures..Enjoy your ride...
  4. srirambond007

srirambond007 Amatore

Trivandrum
    @wolverine , actually the problem is , if we get a puncture and we are very far from a tyre station, may be on a sunday, or maybe the alloy wheel is bent and we are waiting for a replacement (All this has happened to either me or my friends, but luckily our cars had the matching spare wheels), then we are in big trouble as the 14" with 3 15" tyres will meddle the ABS, alignment and wear out of other tyres. it will be like limping. Since you own a sport, i guess you must have noticed the warning on the spare wheel, which says only run at 80km/hr and that too for below 20kms.. FIAT this is too bad..
  5. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Can you post a pic of this warning. Seems intriguing.
  6. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

Space saver is the norm now,almost all cars with OEM alloys come with a space saver spare.
    Heck,the premium one's dont even have spares,like the Volvo's.
    So love it or hate it,you have to live with it.
  7. srirambond007

srirambond007 Amatore

Trivandrum
    Will do. I will take the snap on bright day light tomorrow morning first thing . But regarding my concern of 14" spare what is your advice gurjinderji ?
  8. srirambond007

srirambond007 Amatore

Trivandrum
    @Akshay. But then they should have informed me before hand. The manual specifically says 15" spares, if they want to change it official, then they have to update their manual. what do you think?
  9. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Well, if you'd ask me, i would suggest FIAT to keep the 14" spare wheel to themselves. Either provide a proper spare wheel or none at all. Why play a bad joke on the customer. They should've given a 15" steel rim shod with the same tire as the other 4.

As noted earlier, this has become the norm in the entire auto industry.

I would suggest you sell / exchange this 14" combo and get a FIAT 15" rim with a proper spare tyre. So that when you need it, you can use it without any worries. ::T
    2 people like this.

10. Linea's 15 inch rims will be direct fit for punto,right??
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.