1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto Saved our life

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by Sat-Chit-ananda, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Folks I was called by FIAT today at 4 PM to take delivery of the car(I had left the car to sort out few niggles),while taking test ride barely 200 mts from TASS mysore road, I found a canter also trying to take left turn towards global village tech park road(pattangere main road).

As the canter was very slow , I had to stop my car waitng for him to complete th tun.
    Suddely I head a squelching noise of tire,my wife screaming with fear,observed a white Indica taxi, with wheels locked,I felt so as driver was trying to steer away from me but car was moving at fast pace towards rear-end of my car. I tried to move the car might have got into 2-5 kms speed saw bus on right lane of the road so decided not take right lane, continued on left lane towards RV collage,might have moved 5 feet.

Then all I heard was big bang at the rear and jerk might be be taxi was 80-90Km/hr speed at the time of impact. ,just turned to look at my wife whether anything happened to her, thank god she was fine.

sat in the car for few more seconds to regain my thoughts, got out to check the damage to my car,misaligned bumper and two dents on the boot door.

Talked to the other taxi guy , he was safe,I took the photo of the taxi and my car, tried calling 100 but got a busy tone,upon second or trid try I got the 100 number.
    spoke to the lady over there she gave me another number 29943030 but this was dead line.
    Luckily I had my friend Shashi and Tass SA Gopal with me,all of a sudden 20 people form TAT came over there took both the cars to TASS.

Praveen (CRM) advised me and other folks to reach a settlement ,initial estimate was Rs44000,out of which I may have to pay 8-10K from my hand.
    Taxi driver behaved decently did not abuse or shy away from the responsibility,he paid 7K , i agreed to cover rest by myself.

What stuck me had I a=swayed to right ,bus would have crushed my car,or just moved fast right most place in the left lane it self then taxi guy would have crushed into the canter,either way it would have been fatal.
    some how i did not make any hasty decisions but just took the hit in the rear.

I guess that saved four peoples life in the car,I don't repent buying Punto , may be the plastics are bad ,penal gaps do exist, but it did had/has solid build quality ,toughness to withstand a car coming and ramming at the rear.

I

IMAG0066.jpg

IMAG0067.jpg

View attachment IMAG0068.jpg

IMAG0069.jpg

View attachment IMAG0070.jpg

IMAG0071.jpg

IMAG0072.jpg

IMAG0073.jpg
  2. Had it been My father's Zen people would have been left with expressing condolences messages.
    Always safety first and speed next.
    -Sat
  3. soccerfan

soccerfan Regolare

Kochi
    sad to hear about the accident. But the stronger steel used in Punto pays dividends :clap
  4. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Sorry to know about the accident S-C-A. Anyways, consider yourself lucky to be safe. I hope you get your car back soon in original condition.

:punch These TAXI drivers always drive negligently.

I hope ABS soon becomes the norm in India.
  5. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    Sad to see unwanted damages, but glad to know that you all are safe :), we saw a similar accident in pune while we were on our way to factory vist, one of the punto from our caravan got rear ended by estilo, as we reached there we first saw estilo, and man, front was completely shattered, my heart sank, thinking about impact on punto, moved ahead to look out for punto, but could not find any punto with any damange, then someone pointed out the punto which meet the accident, it look normal, just a slight misalignment in rear bumper. Probably guys could share some image.
  6. Even today bumper has a 5 mm crack and strong metal just below the boot door took most of the impact and some was on the boot door,I think it was those additional lights of Indica.
    But still bumper is intact barring the crack.
    -Sat
  7. Thanks to FIAT for making such strong and safe cars,had it been Japanese or their copy cats cars ... hmmm
    -Sat
  8. What The FIAT, I get very angry seeing FIATs damaged.

OT : You should have made him don 100 Sit-ups rofl
  9. Cubbie

Cubbie Superiore

Bangalore
    Good to hear no one is hurt. Human safety is paramount

FIAT's good steel gauge (Heaviness) adds to the safety & Many car shows comment it as a negative for Car not being peppy enough to drive due to high body weight !!!
  10. keshav

keshav

Bangalore
    Glad you are safe ! I guess you were wearing seat belts too. Most of these Taxi's literally run on bald tires and will have no traction in emergency braking situations... hope Punto gets back to your home very soon...