1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto Saved My Life now what.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by mandarm, Feb 12, 2014.

1. jumu

jumu Superiore

@mandarm. Good to know that you are safe. Since it was a perpendicular hit, did you drive it to see how it felt on the steering and handling? did you get any unsteady funny feeling or any pull. If not try driving it before you spend money on repairs. My worry is a chassis damage. If it is chassis damage then a total should be insisted upon.

1 person likes this.
  2. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Linea T-Jet
    That's scary. Thank God You are safe. I think punto can be repaired, so no need to sell.
  3. Iyu

Iyu Timido

Thank god u r safe.
    Check and get doubly sure that there is no chassis damage - if u r not keen on driving and checking the alignment, get a computerised wheel alignment done before the repair, this reading will help u out in determine the damage to the chassis.
  4. thefiatguy

thefiatguy Novizio

madarm.Sad abt the accident and state of your Punto. Glad your guys are safe.
  5. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Sad to see this Mandar for this accident.
  6. edurgesh

edurgesh Novizio

It's a really sad to see that accident. But thank God that you are safe.
    Punto indeed is a life saver in such situations.
  7. mandarm

mandarm Timido

Uran - Navi Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @simpleson thanks for team bhp link was quite informative
    @jumu drove the car from accident spot to service centre in that condition was almost 30kms and quite a drive. There was no pull and no change in steering function too.

My concern is how to be sure of quality of work done any advice. They will replacing both doors and some part of pillar and side carpet. Will post the photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. mandarm

mandarm Timido

Uran - Navi Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @simpleson thanks for the team bhp link was really helpful and informative, since this being my first car I didn't had that much technical knowledge. That car was more damaged then mine.

The car was pretty driveable even after accident drove from accident spot to service center in such condition no pull no steering issue was one heck of ride though almost 30 KMS.

Confirmed from service center they will replacing both the doors and part of middle pillar and carpet.

9. sine04

sine04 Regolare

Mysore/Bangalore, Karnataka.
    Mysore/Bangalore, Karnataka.
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Visit the service center as often as you can. If possible take a knowledgeable person along with you to keep a tab on the work being done and parts repaired/replaced. Since you will be claiming insurance the service center fellows will, more often than not, try to take you for a ride.
  10. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Linea 1.3
    They talk about line lenght of cars that have had structural damage.

The tolerances for cars are measured with special feeler guages to measure gaps between door and beams etc. and ofcourse CMMs/robots.

Now in this case changing entire sections it seems has been avoided to stay in tighter tolerances, or due to lack of spot welding tools or simply because it is not possible without special equipment as claimed to be the case by a BMW ASC.

The job work needs to be inspected before paint most importantly to see if it looks good. But again it will need some experts with repairs know how.

The car is in their hands already so don't fret and hope for the best. :)

:p heartsent for our mutual benefit .. !
    1 person likes this.