1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto power windows problem

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by manish, Oct 13, 2014.

1. vijay

vijay Timido

assam
    hi, my punto is four year old. one week ago driver side window did not roll up after getting down. took to mahesh fiat service centre, guwahati. after checking they told electronic control need to be changed. they informed all the four power window is controlled by one electronic control. even if any one power window develops fault electronic panel need to change. got the work done. electronic control price is Rs 8990. total charge including labour charge is 9349. shocked to see the price. hope problem did not develop again.
  2. harryaviator

harryaviator Regolare

kochi
    kochi
    Linea 1.3
    even i had this same problem about a couple of months ago. My car was in the last year of extended warranty. they first changed the winder. the window went up n down a few times and got stuck at lowered position. then they swapped the control box from another car and realised that the problem was with the control box. had to wait for a couple of days to get it replaced under extended warranty.

also, the SA changed my timing chain owing to some abnormal sound from the engine. (also under extended warranty).
    overall, was a great experience. customer service manager, Mr Syam, Hyson FIAT, kochi was of great help.

overall, a very happy experience.
    PradeepM likes this.
  3. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @harryaviator , did you change the power windows electronic control unit under extended warranty?
  4. harryaviator

harryaviator Regolare

kochi
    kochi
    Linea 1.3
    The power window control unit was changed under extended warranty. Had about 10months remaining in extended warranty
    sathishgv likes this.
  5. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @harryaviator, Was it mentioned anywhere in the extended warranty booklet? Your extended warranty is with which company? The SC in Bhubaneshwar says that since it was not mentioned in the booklet it cannot be covered under extended warranty. Please clarify.
  6. harryaviator

harryaviator Regolare

kochi
    kochi
    Linea 1.3
    honestly, never had to check. the SA was prompt and he himself said it was covered under extended warranty. he also got my timing chain changed under the same. I believe FIAT in itself is extending the extended warranty. i dont think its under any other company.
  7. fiat_fan

fiat_fan Amatore

Calicut
    ECM changed under EW warranty for me too. One power window winder, and Elastic pads of front wheels also changed under EW. EW is about to expire in a month, really worried about maintenance cost after the EW period. It is not really cheap to maintain with out EW, as parts are failing consistently !!!
    harryaviator likes this.
  8. harryaviator

harryaviator Regolare

kochi
    kochi
    Linea 1.3
    by the end of extended warranty, wont be required to change anything anymore as all components which were due for failure must have failed by then.. hopefully!
  9. rider16

rider16 Amatore

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    There are three things that can cause this problem.

#1 The glass operating electrical motor, its electrical, so may go kaput as a result of moisture buildup, rats, aftermarket accessorizing, and loose wire connections. This unit going bad is rare.

#2 The Punto's all four glasses have a hole in them and a Metal guide sits in it. Fiat A.S.S doesnt bother and doesnt tell you and this isnt present in any of the owner manuals either. One needs to keep this well lubricated pre and post monsoons, this thing rusting can cause motor failure, make the glass jump out of frame etc.

#3 At the bottom of each glass, there is a plastic guide/fasterner, any one notice the KHAT! sound when trying to get the glass up or down? These plastic fasterners either break or go loose due to ageing. If memory serves right, Fiat silently has been replacing these plastic ones with metal. If you get these replaced with plastic or metal(depending on which you FASS has). There wont be further alignment or excess load problems causing this un-necessary and annoying issues.

NOTE: This is a design/cost cutting flaw from fiat, these fastners even break over time inevitably, due to road conditions.

Will try and post pics if I find them.

Most of the time its points 2 and 3 that need to be taken care of early and periodically to avoid huge bills.

How I know this? I have had this problem on my punto too and got it rectified as well.

http://www.99rpm.com/fiat/door-glass-front-right-punto.html

I couldnt copy paste the image from that site, so I am posting a link,

check out the guide, this is my point 2, this needs periodic lubrication.

and at the bottom of the glass you see a HOLE, thats where the fasterner sits, which routinely breaks if driven over uneven/bad roads periodically.

Take care of these two things, and your motor and glass operations should not give you problems.
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
    asimpleson likes this.