1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto power windows problem

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by manish, Oct 13, 2014.

1. manish

manish Novizio

Pune
    My Punto is almost 4 year old (will compete 4 on 3rd Nov 2014) and I am having this peculiar problem frequently for last 2 years. My Punto window glasses are not operating properly again. And it happened yesterday night when we were out for dinner and opened glass for parking ticket and it didn't roll up again. I have replaced winders thrice before in the last 2 years (they did not cover it under extended warranty - so last time in April 2014 despite trying to get it under warranty, I had to pay for it.) and frustrated with these problems as they cause a great security concern when glass simply won't roll up when you're out for some work or leisure. Anyone else faced similar problems with Punto?

I gave it for repairing in Pandit, Bavdhan today morning and this time the SA says that it is a controller problem and he is not sure if it could be covered under extended warranty. The controller is expensive (₹ 7500 + labour etc.) and I am pissed off why such electronic problems shouldn't be covered under warranty. Any pointers how to deal with this?
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    When did you replaced part last time? All replaced parts are also covered for 6 months.
    First ask SA to send a request for Ext Warranty.
    In between, write one email with details to Fiat Service as well.
  3. manish

manish Novizio

Pune
    Thanks Ravi! I will ask him - I am not in mood to take it lightly this time.
  4. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @manish, I faced the same problem exactly 10 days ago. you can find the details here, post #40. I have stopped operating the glass on the driver side front window for the fear that it may not close again. But the passenger side window is operating normally. Yet to visit the service center. Except for the driver side door glass winding motor, I too have replaced all the other motors under warranty. My car is 3 yrs old.
  5. manish

manish Novizio

Pune
    @satishgv - how old was your car when you got those winders replaced? Could you please share the details?
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 13, 2014, Original Post Date: Oct 13, 2014 ---
    Some updates here -

I have replaced all three glass winders except the driver window so far. (WINDOW REGULATOR as per invoice, costing 1390 each + labour etc. It is basically a motor with some cable attached to it). One of them has been replaced twice (back side, not sure if it was left or right). Last time it happened in April 2014 and I replaced 2 of them and had to pay since warranty claim said - "Winders are not covered under extended warranty".

Today's problem was with electronic controller (not winder problem today as I have been given to understand) and I just took delivery of my car and though I didn't pay anything today (some 1 hour "discussion" with people there, the warranty guy was out of city), I was told that I might need to pay if warranty claim gets rejected. I am quite frustrated with Fiat/Pandit - any pointers how can I escalate this? I have a feeling that they accept claims only if you follow up with higher authorities, otherwise they just make you pay.
  6. manish

manish Novizio

Pune
    I have not heard from them yet, do you guys think I should write to Fiat proactively or should I wait for them to get back to me? I am quite annoyed that I need to argue with all this despite having my extended warranty in effect.

Any mail IDs that I can write to in Fiat to resolve this issue favourably?
  7. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    @manish

Is yours a diesel Punto? And by winders did you mean Window motors? If yes, then the window motors finds a mention in the Extended warranty as below. See the Electrical system details. Its on page no 7 of the EW booklet, just have a look. If Fiat isnt responding, mentioning about pains on Fiat FB page is worthwhile or writing to mangesh dot kodalkar @ fiat dot com might help.

upload_2014-10-17_12-11-31.png
  8. manish

manish Novizio

Pune
    Well, my booklet is different though mine is a diesel car as well (MJD 90 BHP). It doesn't contain page that you've shown above. Though it doesn't exclude them explicitly as well.

Last time they rejected claim (I have PDF copy), saying that winders are not covered in extended warranty, I hope controller is.
  9. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @manish, I recently, 2 months back changed my winder motor of the front passenger side door. It was covered under warranty, as rightly mentioned by ghodlur. Mine is also MJD, 90 HP and I changed the first winder motor on the rear LH side after an year of purchase. Rear LH winder motor.JPG
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 18, 2014, Original Post Date: Oct 18, 2014 ---
    The second time I replaced the rear RH winder motor in 2012, same year, after 4 months, that was also done under warranty Rear RH winder motor.JPG

Then I replaced the front front RH door winder motor (in the previous post by mistake I mentioned it as passenger side) 3 months back
    ghodlur likes this.
  10. manish

manish Novizio

Pune
    @sathishgv - When did you buy th car? And in 2012 whether it was under warranty or extended warranty?