1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto Petrol or Diesel

Discussion in 'Pre sales query' started by Relativity, Jan 16, 2012.

1. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Humm... They put you off with Zen Estilo this time. No issues, unknowingly they did the right thing for you. How?
    I mean any car you sit in, ultimately you ignite, slot in gears, release clutch & then obviously slotting gears again and again, than what's the difference of making different cars in the world?
    If you are getting a different car each time, it's somehow assisting your skills/automotive consiousness more & more. Why? You get to know how to adjust with that additional length of a sedan & how a hatch back tends to zip through easily. Doesn't hatchback concept look totally absurd, everything should be a sedan with a boot added. What hatchback design is upto? Well the concept makes complete sense & try to know it when you are driving a sedan & hatchback.

Not only this, using different cars is giving different sitting combinations/outside views/gear boxes/throttle behaviour/brakes strength weaknesses vice versa. So it's not always about having fun mate. Try to imagine yourself as an auto journalist & reviewing a particular vehicle. Settle down with your likes/dislikes & help yourself with your reference points/scale that you can compare to.That doesn't mean you ignore everyone else suggestions though.

The funniest fact in auto-industry is how one can experience "best" till he goes through the "worst"? Do i make sense here?

I would even suggest you to take an 800/Omni/Sumo Victa/Tata-407/ambassador or what ever hell you get there to experience something different. Just don't lust for that Diesel fun factor. You purpose there is to mentor yourself & don't stop talking to yourself when you are driving.

1. Try to know how ABC vehicle suspension behaves in undulations
    2. Check it's stopping power in a sane way (remember you are still learning so not adventures pls)
    3. Does it encourage any sharp turning & how is the sterring response/feedback & balance of the vehilce (body roll)?
    4. how does it's engine sounds like (ugly/stressed/easy) whenever you demand more from the vehicle
    5. What's your take on it's clutch/gear changes?
    6. What are it's strong points/limitations?

I can keep on typing the whole day but i think you got my point. Try to have different vehicle during your class instead of that sweet. You have to taste sour/bitter/tartaric before you taste some thing that's known as sweet & delicious:)!

Remember you are just not after that driving license, you are an auto enhusiast with loads & loads of passion. I won't mind if you find out somwthing better than my personal favorite, i can promise on that. Best of luck & yes your observation on Zen estilo vs esteem is Bingo! I won't hold your credit where it's due. Keep up the good work:drinks!
    1 person likes this.
  2. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    Went for the TD to Concorde at Velachery, Chennai. 4 cars were promised for TD - 1.2 Petrol, 1.4 Petrol, 75 HP MJD and 90 HP. Only 75 HP was available in 2012 model. 90 HP is down for servicing and is a 2011 model. None of the petrols were available for TD. This is absolutely crazy because I planned the whole thing with my friend and we confirmed that all 4 cars will be available. what kind of business is Fiat doing if the dealer does not have at least 1 car per model for TD?

Secondly, the super famous oceanic Blue that is all over the Tv and the Newspaper and the magazines; is nowhere there. No cars on display or even in the yard in that color. No Punto, No Linea, nothing. Again, big advertisements - where is the car??????

Thirdly, 90 Hp is available as manufactured in 2012 with 2011 specs. that is why it is priced neck to neck with 2011 MJD Emotion. Difference is just 30K. Once the new 90HP is out in April, prices are expected to go up. If the budget is discriminatory towards diesel, no plan to launch new 90Hp. It will continue with old GC, old turning radius etc. The dealer said that in this case, 1.4 Fire with T Jet may be launched. Confusion!

Problem No. 4 - This is something personal as this is the first time I drove a Punto. The clutch is like a stepping machine in the gym. I can work out my calves on this thing. I have a problem with my left knee as it was dislocated years ago and cant take much stress. will the Punto clutch be an issue for me? Can it be manually changed/altered to feel like a normal clutch in a normal car? will I get used to it? Or is this normal and others have got it wrong?

No. 5 - I am told I can book now and the car will be delivered on a best effort basis in 20 days. Oceanic Blue will take another 10 odd days. If the budget announces additional taxes on diesel cars before the car is delivered; the differential will need to be paid. Confusion again!

Another observation, the tata cars get a lot of focus as most of the display is used up by their cars and only 1 Punto standing in a corner. There is also a board that tracks all tata cars being booked, delivered, pending etc. Nice touch, but nothing for fiat. The yard has all tata cars paked nicely but the Fiats are covered in dust, bird poo and what not. That really hurt me. Brand new beauties worth 10 Lakhs gathering dust. If I was the Fiat India CEO, I am walking out on Tata COB today. I'd rather sign up with Mahindra or Maruti or anybody else.
  3. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

yep, there is long clutch travel but don't worry. I think it's more of gearbox maintenance measure to avoid changing gear while clutch is still enaged. You can also say that other cars have too less of a clutch travel. Since half of the travel is dead, you can always manage it like "half pressed" when in traffic. As i prefer, leave your heel nicely on the floor while putting the toe on the clutch like it's resting. The force of spring of the clutch & resting toe's weight almost reciprocate each other & you don't need to stress your knee or ankle. In other cars, you have to keep the pedal pressed to the floor non stop in heavy traffic because their clutch are very sensitive due to short travel. Once you drive Punto for 50-100 Kms, you will find other cars awkward (in a -ve way) with absolutely no clutch travel.

I need more feedback on your driving experience of Punto, i just read it & it's all about clutch only. Technically you can opt for extra GC/16 inch tires if FIAT will introduce that in new 90HP later on. For TASS treatment on FIAT vehicles, everyone is aware of that & it is indeed hurting. FIAT even gifted a "Ferrari California" to RATAN TATA & included him as member at FIAT's board. Ferrari gave the software project to Tata consultancy services & TATA was branded free of cost onFerrari F1 car.
    FIAT has helped TATA being so unselfish & friendly.TATA's vehicle were lagging behind, much outdated & technological inferior to their competitors. FIAT helped them in diastraits with all free technology & transmissions/powertrains worth billion of dollars. Such was the level of confidence of Marchionne into RATAN TATA that investments began at least two years before even a formal agreement was signed. He expected that RATAN TATA would treat FIAT India aka TATA Motors & FIAT international doesn't need worry now. Read the last para of the article.

Tata-Fiat joint venture to break even by 2011-12 - Corporate News - livemint.com
    Ferrari Modena 360 gifted to the Sachin Tendulkar has been sold at some 35 Crore(?). Sachin, you are even better a businessman that Batsman:thumbs down.
    It's not always money you ##$%%^^, It's about being human as well :firey.
    1 person likes this.
  4. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    Enki - Are you suggesting I can buy a 90HP and increase the GC by using the kit?
  5. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Of-course you can if you want to increase GC later on. IMO GC has never been a wanted issue in my 90 HP. GC is sufficient of the car & i never scrapped anything so far. Real problem is with front overhang of Punto. If you moving down a steep inclination say 70 deg, with sudden smooth road, it's nose/front bumper may just kiss the road. Another hypothetical eg. could be a steep rising undulation just next to a steep speed breaker. I have badly hit my 90 HP two times but once i got the concept behind it, i can easily manage it now:cool:. For rest of the car, i am still to score anything.

I still don't trust the claims that GC increased Punto would be equally stable@175Kmph than the one without GC. Granted, it may not make the difference till 120 but then the logic defies physics or they must have opted for stiffer springs to maintain the handling/balance intact.
  6. @Enki:-

i agree with you that Punto nose get touched if their is a sudden 70 degree inclined road. and i have many times scratched my Engine guard. and once the front bumper bottom get scratched in coorg(Karnataka).

i don`t see that much ground clearance issue in the old one. only the front have to be increased a bit. and with the old GC i touched top speed of 170kms with 4 adults in car.
  7. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    I am sorry but I don't understand the GC kit at all. How does it increase the GC of 2011 models to same as 2012?
    And what role do bigger tires play in increased GC?

I am tilting towards 2012 75HP Emotion instead 0f 2012 90HP 9with 2011 specs) as for a newbie like me, increased GC and decreased turning radius maybe more useful than the extra HP. What do you say?

---------- Post added at 09:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 PM ----------

I am sorry but I don't understand the GC kit at all. How does it increase the GC of 2011 models to same as 2012?
    And what role do bigger tires play in increased GC?

I am tilting towards 2012 75HP Emotion instead 0f 2012 90HP 9with 2011 specs) as for a newbie like me, increased GC and decreased turning radius maybe more useful than the extra HP. What do you say?
  8. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

@relativity, Why don't you refer the thread on Increasing Ground clearance which is on the welcome page only?
    Sorry i have no further knowledge on this as i am not interested into GC thing. It was just a suggestion if you feel like GC is an issue in Punto. I personally don't consider it an issue.
  9. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    You are right. More than the engine guard, it is drooping nose that creates issues. I had problems getting the car to our parking lot which has a sudden incline. In such sudden inclines, the engine guard doesnt scrape, and it is always the lower bumper. I used to work around this by getting the car in diagonally.
    Engine guard hits mostly when there are huge craters or illogically high speed breakers.
  10. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    Just wanted to thank everybody who helped me decide on the 90 HP as I made the booking today.
    Of course, the TD helped too.

I didn't like the chrome door handles and will try to change them at the time of the delivery.