1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto Petrol or Diesel

Discussion in 'Pre sales query' started by Relativity, Jan 16, 2012.

1. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Ohh... I already told you can have any one, it's your call now. Both are enough powerful for Indian conditions. In case of 90 HP, the real difference is noticed after 120. It's so responsive at high speeds but one seldom gets those speeds. I don't exactly remember but 100-140 kmph is a whopping 4 secs quicker than 75 hp (i think it's car-wale's review where i read it). Below 100, one may not feel any difference at all.

In addition, i must congratulate you that you are learning quick buddy. Try to earn some 10000-15000 kms under your belt like that. That petrol/diesel concept is too difficult for a learner who is yet in the driving school. That's what i mean when i told you to "learn deep driving secrets" instead of out & out fast.You are learning it with passion:).By the way, even if fuel prices for diesel & petrol were same, i would have still opted for diesel just for that torque & turbo spool. That's addictive in MJD's but it's confusing when people argument for diesel based on fuel costs only.

Don't be confused, if you want a diesel, book it now. I don't want you to crib later & to opt for petrol because of excise. +1 to you & Keep your experience coming through.
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  2. Relativity, If your run is not much then go blindly for Petrol.. Diesel is good for those who drive atleast 20-50 kms daily or more.. The extra premium you pay to buy a Diesel just doesnt add up if you dont drive that much.. There was a good TOI article explaining the economics of such decision although i had done my own independently 2 years ago and found it quite prudent to go for Petrol.

(I have a Petrol version and my drive is mainly on weekends and sometimes around the city..)

Just my two cents..
  3. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    Thanks Enki. Your responses are always helpful. I figure that I am still learning, need to TD both variants in Petrol and Diesel. Need to arrange Down payment and the Loan. My original plan was for April and I think I will need to stick to it. Excise duty or no excise duty, we will cross the bridge when we get there.

I tried speeding things up but didn't like how they were progressing. VST at Chennai does not have a 2012 90 HP for TD. Neither do they have any Petrol variants for TD. I wanted to look at all colors in the showroom on display but they only have the Oceanic Blue. The way Tata handles it, it seems it will take over a month for me to take a TD on all 4 models and be able to see all the colors in flesh.

I also noted in today's Hindu, Tata motors is the first to publish the upcoming hike in Excise duty on diesel cars. While others are still speculating, Tata never misses a moment I guess.
  4. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

That's another tragedy with FIAT owners. You can choose any colour at the end of the day but when-ever you will see a Punto, the immediate colour looks to be the best. Later on one realizes that i myself is driving a Punto. It happens to me 3-4 times a day. By the way, i saw one 90HP Fox-Trot Punto today, Hummm... must say it looks nice. But again Punto looks equally nice in every other colour too:A.
    1 person likes this.
  5. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    Guys,

I stumbled upon some information today that we seem to have ignored in the wake of the speculated Excise duty hike.
    What happens if I manage to buy the car before the Excise duty hike and after a year or so, need to move to another state? I am told that at that point i will need to pay the road tax to that state and they may charge me additional road tax as per the new norms. Although, not sure if the Excise alone is being increased or road tax as well.

Anybody has a clue or any threads around here that address the issue?
  6. r2d2

r2d2

Einstein Discovered,

Here is my take. I gave you the advantages of a diesel vs a petrol essentially from the economics perspective. Now for the car:

- a car takes you from place A to B. petrols, diesels, 76 or 90 will do it. In the long run diesel will be less expensive.
    - one spends a couple of hours daily in a car- alone, with family and with friends. So get the more comfortable car
    - blue n me is essential for me. Pairing bluetooth so that one can take n make calls while driving is essential in three ways- one can work in the car, talk to loved ones, it is MUCH SAFER than holding a cellphone in ones hand. In fact after a while its like talking to someone next to you and driving. Listening to music from the phone also helps
    - airbags are essential, just assume you are hit by a drunk driver, the airbag may just save your life (PLEASE ALWAYS WEAR A SEATBELT), its worth a few thousand
    - given your budget constraints i suggest get the 2012 76 hp emotion, or the 2011 90 hp, they should cost you about the same. a 2012 90hp emotion will cost u 40k more for increased pleasure at 110km/h and above. DONT DRIVE THAT FAST AS YOU ARE STILL LEARNING
    - The govt cannot not add the 80k to the road tax, they will add it to the excise etc, so the dealer pays it when the manufacturer invoices the dealer. Of course the final price is paid by the end user. This will be a one time payment
    - The road tax will have to be paid in a new state if you are moving for a long duration.

I enjoyed driving the 2012 76 hp punto emotion. The lighter feel and shorter turning radius makes it slightly easier to drive than the older puntos.

Hope I added some clarity.

Regards
    1 person likes this.
  7. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    Driving Classes Update: Today was day 6 and again the swift Diesel was out for a service and i picked up a fight with the Maruti Driving School that I am planning to buy a diesel Punto and driving a petrol is neither fun nor helpful as both engines respond differently. Last weekend was a waste of time on the lousy Esteem. they apologized and advised to take the Zen Estillo out for a spin and they will arrange the Swift from next time onwards. I have to say, despite being a 3 potter; it was fun to zip around in city traffic. I drove comfortably upto 4th gear and did some practice on the reverse gear as well. It picks up comfortably at the traffic signals as well.

Buying the Car - I roped in a good friend of mine here who just bought a Punto last year to join me for a TD today. we are headed to Concorde Motors at Velacherry Chennai. They have lined up the 1.2 Petrol. 76 HP 2012 and 90 HP 2011 models for the TD. We will also go to the yard nearby to see all the colors in flesh as that is a grey area for me till now. I just can't decide on the color. Anyway, If all goes well; i might even book and get it registered before the excise duty hike in the upcoming budget. If not, we'll cross the bridge when we get there. My friend drives a GP MJD Emotion and he is adamant that I pick up the 90HP as he regrets buying the 76HP every time he is on the highway. He is also a new driver and the GP is his first car. Lets see if Tata Motors delivers all the TDs as promised. I really want to TD all the 4 including the 1.4 fire. maybe i will go to another dealer to TD that.

More as it happens, till then; Happy Punting!
  8. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Concorde is the place to go, my friend took delivery of new 75 HP yesterday and they were very courteous, willing to listen and keep the customer happy.

The 90HP car is in terrible condition so please don't use that to judge the car. They don't have 1.4 for TD, tell Raman that your from TFI and can get good quote.

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk
  9. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    Thanks teky. I have read some very bad reviews about Concorde service in Chennai so a bit skeptical of buying from there. All reviews point towards VST Motors. But they dont have any TD vehicles. Lets see how it goes.
  10. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    You can buy anywhere you wish and get it serviced anywhere. Go to concorde man, you'll be satisfied. VST is all talk and nothing on action.

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk