1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto Petrol or Diesel

Discussion in 'Pre sales query' started by Relativity, Jan 16, 2012.

1. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Congrats!! You are learning at extreme pace. That's a very good observation, Fantastic!!
    Let us update on your daily driving experience as & when you feel like doing so. It sounds interesting already.
    But don't forget to drive safe!! There is no bigger fun than learning to drive a car for first .2 weeks at least You must be having one hell of an exciting time.
    1 person likes this.
  2. BoseSuman

BoseSuman Superiore

Midnapur (W.B) & Hyderabad (A.P) India.
    Linea 1.3
    Hi Nithin,

The Thread is comparing between Fiat Petrol & Fiat Diesel engine, Anydays Fiat Diesel are far more better than Fiat Petrol and Fiat is famous for Diesel Engine, You can buy Diesel engine with mothly running of 500- 700 Km also, because modern day diesel are not required for frequent maintainance as it is almost same as petrol.

As of you said FIAT won the Intl award for Twin Air Petrol, this is not available in India and Petrol Price in India are Sky touching.
  3. Pramod N

Pramod N Amatore

Bangalore
    My Monthly usage on my Car is around 700 Kms and i have a Punto 1.4 Emotion Pack Petrol.... Not even a once i have repented my choice
    1 person likes this.
  4. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    Well, to each his own. I guess the point here is that the cost of both Emotion variants is more or less the same so if you like theMJD better; you could go for it or if the petrol prices bother you, then as well. If you're a petrolhead, then nothing gets in your way :)
  5. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    Today was 5th day at the Maruti car driving school as I reached a little late, somebody else took the only diesel they have - a Swift VDi. I have been learning on that.
    Anyway, they insisted on taking out the Esteem and I absolutely hated it. I struggled a lot as its very different to the throttle response in a diesel. I guess I may never grow up to be a petrolhead :(
    I like that the Swift diesel has that low end torque and when I take the foot off the clutch, it starts moving. In the Esteem, I had accelerate at the same time. I also did not like the sound of the engine one bit.
    Hated every minute of it and told them to keep the Swift for me tomorrow.
  6. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Actually Diesel is considered for only fuel cost factor. Modern CRDI engines are more fun to drive because of higher torques at low RPMs. Very less gear changes (almost 50 % less frequents than petrol). Petrols are fun to drive but only if they are bigger & have turbos. 1200-1300 ccs are no-where near their diesel siblings until it's a turbo. So I recommended diesel not only for fuel cost but also fun to drive & less hardwork in gear change. I use to be almost saturated & tired with my petrol car due to my daily running but diesel has totally changed that thing to fun to drive with ease of maneuring gears. By the way, don't delay it further if want a diesel.

Pls book a 90 HP/75 HP now otherwise it will be too late. Diesel prices won't increase in near future as that's why exise will be imposed on diesel cars. Petrol prices may rise & could be well over Rs.80/ltr by year end as i see it.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  7. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Relativity,
    My story is also similarly to your start of career in 4 wheeler driving:p,this year march i will be complete my 1 year graduation in 4 wheeler driving;),but trust me you will enjoy punto driving,i never joined the driving class,after booking punto i learnt driving... today clocked more than 17000 Kms without any issues and recently after 16000 Kms(my bro also drives) i tested myselves in ghat roads of Konkan and really it was fun to drive in the hair pin curves and reaching the highest peaks of mountains to see sunset points... amazing....:p
    Flash your memory by removing petrol thought..:geek:. punto is highway car it tempts you to take on long drives that too alone,eventhough you want to take your loved ones...

P.S:- First 5K Kms learn yourselves,just don't drive but test your drive...
    1 person likes this.
  8. r2d2

r2d2

Relativity,

Here is the basic comparison. I dont know the exact OTR prices and EMI costs of the cars you have in mind, but it is simple to work this way, I have stacked the numbers slightly in favor of the petrol, but you will get a picture.

running cost per km of a car = cost of unit liter of fuel / kms per lite.
    running cost per km petrol = R(p) 70/13 = 5.4
    running cost per km diesel = R(d) 45/18 = 2.5

Petrol Punto EMI - EMI(p)
    Diesel Punto EMI - EMI(d)

The fact is, If you currently run 500kms/month, once you own a car you will use it more, trust all the people who vouch from experience. We will still keep the numbers at 500. On a car (a very expensive and fast depreciating asset) u will be shelling out on a monthly basis

punto pertrol - EMI(p) + 500x5.4 = EMI(p) + 2700
    puton diesel - EMI(d) + 500x2.5 = EMI(d) + 1250

Now a few things to consider.

-once you own a car, you will drive more than 500, goes in favor of diesels.
    -in case u are reselling after a few years the diesel will fetch you 40k-1.4l more than a petrol (similar specs). In favor of diesels
    -diesels are nice for cruising around and not openly redlining the engine, petrol cars are fun when one redlines. See how u like to drive.
    -diesel cars are relatively more efficient than petrol cars when driven enthusiastically. For example- a petrol swift, if ripped, will return 7-8/l, while a diesel will still return 13-14. In favor of diesels.
    -petrol may be a few hundred ruppes lighter per month if u stick to 500 max per month.
    -diesels are generally slightly heavier. Slower outright pickup over a petrol, marginally better shocks over a petrol.
    -this is my personal view- diesel engines tend to last longer. In favor of diesels
    -Govt. may put an additional tax on diesel vehicles soon. If you buy before tax, ur car will become more expensive after you buy it. in favor of diesel

In the last week i have done about 200km of test drives of Punto 76 HP, Linea 1,3 MJD, Linea t-Jet, Ventro 1.6 TDI. For a hatch- the 2012 Punto 76 HP is the best, unless you can get a 2011 nov/dec 90HP punto for 40-50k off.

Hope this helps you.

r2
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  9. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    This helps a lot R2D2. I am so confused with everything now due to the uncertainity about the upcoming taxes on diesels, the changed variants et.

Why do you say the MJD 75 HP is the best? Any reason you have excluded the 2012 90HP?

Also, since I am now planning to buy in a hurry; I will need to reduce my budget so may come down to the 2012 Dynamic. I understand that I still get the ABS but not the Airbags. Do I still get the Blue & Me?
  10. Hi Relativity, I'm afraid Punto Dynamic doesn't come with Blue n Me. The difference between Dynamic and Emotion could be as much as 60-65k, or maybe a bit more, but the presence of airbags, alloy wheels, Automatic AC, blue n me, and steering wheel audio+bluetooth controls makes the emotion a better deal, if you ask me. a much, much better deal. I tell you, get hold of the emotion.