1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto Petrol or Diesel

Discussion in 'Pre sales query' started by Relativity, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Toruk_Macto

Toruk_Macto Amatore

Ghatkopar-Mumbai
    2 reasons to go for Diesel :

1. I always believe you should go one step ahead when you buy a house or a car (Apni aukat se ek kadam badhkar). Your status will change in a year, but you will not change your car or the house in a year, do you? I hope you got my message.

2. It's better to get a big heart attack once, rather than small small heart attacks everyday (while visiting a bunk).

Dont think about diesel de-regularization. It will not happen. It will screw up India's economy. No government can take that chance. In worst case scenario, even if that happens, it will not make too much of a difference. Diesel cars always give better mileage than petrol cars.
  2. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

No mate, i don't think there will be any such policy for existing diesel owner, but again it's India.
    Don't delay further. I have also heard & the news is all over the channels too.
    Have a 90 HP or some lower diesel 2012 model & get it replaced with 15" RIM & 195/65 tires.
    1 person likes this.
  3. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
  4. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Kuwait
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Mine is a Petrol Punto and i opted for Petrol bcos my monthly drving is just 200 - 250kms per month, clocked 9100kms since 24.12.2009.
    I never think of re-sale in near future.......
    I had been to my friends tyre shop in panvel and at the time of leaving i started the car and was taking to him, he asked me okay give the self now, I told him its on since long and he could not believe this he just peeped in to see the tachometer and was surprised saying ohh teri ye hati tho muruti se silent hai yaar,(Ohh this elephant is more silent than maruti) which added more smiles to me and tapped my punto....:p
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  5. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    Perfect. So diesel it is then. And what diesel than a 90HP?
    There are rumors that the current 90 HP is going to be stopped and a Punto Sports version with sunroof will be launched mid year. Anybody knows anything?
  6. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

No idea on 2012 Punto Sports. For now, it doesn't matter whether 90 HP or 75 HP. You won't feel noticeable difference till you cross 110-120.
    May be 2012 Punto 90HP MJD & an added T-jet will be called Punto sports will both diesel & petrol versions.
    It's your call now, you win either way.:drinks
    1 person likes this.
  7. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    Diesel it is, thanks to you guys :)

I want some technical details now - what makes the 90 HP different from the usual MJD? An extra cylinder or something? What does it cost almost 40K extra?
    1 person likes this.
  8. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    It's the turbo charger, it's a variable one against the fixed one in the 75 HP version. You should have lesser turbo lag than the FGT.

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk
    1 person likes this.
  9. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Relativity,

I have not driven the Mighty 90, but i have driven the Punto 75 a fair bit and the Linea Multijet much more than that.

My impression on the turbo lag on these cars is that there is a marked similarity in the way the turbos on these two engines behave. The turbo lag on the Linea (equipped with a VGT) is only a tad lesser than the Punto 75 - that is a mighty feat itself. In day to day driving , i don't think one can clearly pinpoint that the Linea has a VGT and the Punto 75 a FGT. To really experience the difference in turbo lag - test drive a Swift D (i have only driven the older model) and a Punto FGT back to back. The Swift D pulls hard no doubt, but only when the turbo wakes up from a looong sleep. The Punto, much more linear.

ENKI is bang on when he says that the difference between the 75 and 90 (and Linea Multijet) is felt when speeds cross 100+. At that point the extra 16-17 horses under the hood of the Linea Multijet make their presence felt and she keeps pulling strongly. It does not behave like a puny 1248cc engine when past 100. It'll be interesting to actually do a 80kmph 5th gear roll between these two.

So, you can also have a look-see at the 76hp model if you desire. TD both the 90 and the 75 (now 76:)) before committing.

Cheers.
    1 person likes this.
  10. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    Thanks Gurjinder. My neighbor owns a 76 HP and he told me the same thing. He said to pick up the 90Hp as he feels the car needs more power on the highways. I will TD both back to back. as for Swift, I am learning to drive on it and it's quite alright to drive. But I do feel something is missing in the Swift. It lacks the feel.