1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto Petrol or Diesel

Discussion in 'Pre sales query' started by Relativity, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

I have decided against all other cars and narrowed in on the Punto, thanks to you guys and to your responses.

However, I have hot a roadblock again as it seems i can't really afford the EMI for a Punto Diesel Emotion. I will have to go with a Diesel Active.
    But then, I stay 5 Kms from my office and no matter how much I can run around over the weekend; I don't think I can clock enough miles to justify the cost of a diesel. What needs to be my minimum daily run to justify a diesel?

Secondly, how good are the Fiat Petrol engines? All my discussions here were focused on the Punto diesel and I have no clue how Fiat stacks up on Petrol.
    Lets hear it :p
    2 people like this.
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

I'm much biased toward diesel engines, with the way they feel and drive. Go for the Punto diesel.

Your daily running might be 10-11 km's , but atleast you won't be thinking twice about fuel costs while taking a loong trip when the opportunity presents itself. And trust me, once you get used to the Punto, you yourself will be planning more and more weekend trips.

As for how good the FIAT petrol engines are - World class.

1 person likes this.
  3. ArunJavgal

Go for Punto diesel, atleast you dont feel you are paying more for fuel....
  4. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

I think I am convinced Diesel is a better option. I will TD both back to back to get a feel of the differences.
    The Punto petrols are certainly not cheap when compared to Swift and i10. But I am hell bent on a Punto now so am not gonna consider the Japs and the Koreans.

I can probably afford the Diesel Active. I know if I go for the Dynamic, I get ABS. The question is, Do I really need it?
    The Emotion has more bells and whistles like Blue & Me and airbags. The 90 HP has been ruled out due to being way out of my reach.
    So, what do I miss out if I go with the Active?
  5. abk1980

abk1980 Amatore

Buying a car is not just an economic decision. I would say choose the best car you like within your budget. It means treating e.g. Punto 1.3MJD 75HP, Punto 90HP, Punto 1.4 Fire & Punto 1.2 Fire as separate cars. Look and test them all separately before deciding.
    Traditionally, people have preferred petrol vehicles over diesel if costs are not a concern. I think this is begining to change.
    Suggest that you factor in economics only if a certain issue, like say runing costs in case of heavy usage or high initial costs, skew the economics so much as to rule out your top choice.
    In this case, if you prefer Punto MJD over FIRE after checking both, then dont let your low usage disuade you from buying a diesel.

This is my personal opinion - I bought a petrol burner that was more expensive than its diesel sis. :)

I would say go out and check out the Punto Fire and compare it with the MJD yourself. Dont just rely on our opinions here. MJD is a class leading and by far the most popular diesel engine in the country; but the 1.4 Fire is a fine piece of engineering by itself.
    1 person likes this.
  6. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

I am still learning to drive and as soon as I am up for it, I will TD the Fire, MJD and 90 HP. even the Fire 1.4
    The 1.4 and 90 HP seem like the 500 CC version of a Royal Enfield in bikes. Certainly class leading but hatchbacks at Sedan prices.

I am learning on a Wagon R and not happy with the fact that it just runs away if I touch the gas a little.
    Anyway, thanks for sharing.
  7. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Wow man!! so the good sense prevails, nice to hear.

For engines, you always have an excuse in favor of diesel. Granted your office is 5 Kms. But when you use the car for longer period of time say 100000 Kms, that would save you any where between INR 2-3 lac . Moreover Petrol/CNG prices are due for another leap. diesel is bound to a lesser increase in price because Indian economy basically runs on diesel (Buses, Trucks, Trains etc).
    Also from driving point of view, diesel has far more torque, gear changes would be less frequent, AC doesn't affect too much of performance & car won't feel overloaded with 5 people & lots of luggage.

Engines have been main foray of FIAT whether it's petrol or Diesel. Their engines were/are arguably technological most advanced & potent right from 1899 through 2012.
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  8. I do not think there is a huge difference between on road price of Petrol 1.4 Emotion and Diesel 1.3 Emotion. (Correct me if I am wrong). Atlease not like other manufacturers. So, considering the less cost to run diesel and constant-urge-to-drive factor, it is better to consider diesel (Do the math anyways).

Btw my sad (only when I pay for my fuel) story, I have petrol (1.2). It is sweet to drive. But, I should agree that I use to regret for not getting diesel, just because of fuel cost. When I got the car, my office was around 7 KM from my home and my daily drive would be less than 20 KM. Just 3 months after buying the car, I switched job (IT guy here), daily drive become 40KM. Then it became 50KM due to office location change. Meanwhile, weekend outings got increased. What not... Finally, I was using my car only for weekend outings and occational office drive. Now it is a different story...
    1 person likes this.
  9. Srini

Srini Regolare

Do not worry about running KMS brother. Once you buy it, you will find excuses to drive it longer. Believe me, I am experiencing it..
    1 person likes this.
  10. gurus

gurus Amatore

I would suggest go for Petrol, if your usage is less.
    1 question: Is it possible to keep alternate fuel option in diesel engines?
    Like we have petrol and LPG/CNG etc.