1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto Petrol 1.4 or 1.3 MJD

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by manojc26, Mar 27, 2013.

1. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    @Arkin Agree :) 90HP MJD brings smile on your face every time you drive and also, every time you refuel it too ;)

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2
  2. manojc26

manojc26 Timido

Pune
    Thank you all for your posts.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Finally, its your choice depending on your monthly usage to opt for a diesel or petrol. Somehow, I find Multijet engines to be fun to drive than conventional petrol engines (Except for the turbo lag in diesels).

---
    Yes , I did test drive the 90 HP sport...and I could feel the turbo lag , especially during city driving, when you want instant acceleration.
  3. amitp

amitp Amatore

Pune, Maharashtra
    Hi,

I have driven all the Punto variants - 1.2, 1.4, 1.3 FGT and own a 1.3 VGT

Performance - 1.2 is the most driveable, 1.3 FGT felt like it had less lag than the VGT, 1.3 VGT if you love the torque pull while the 1.4 has a superb linear delivery except when very close to the idle rpm where it feels a little lazy

Handling - Marginal or inconsiderate difference if all of them would be on 195/60 R15, exactly same tires

Engine sound / noise - The petrols are way better all the time. The diesels once at optimum operating temperatures get surprisingly peaceful and almost give the petrols a run for their money. Early mornings (before 7am) in winter made my 1.3 VGT almost sound like a Tata 407 for the first few mins and could take about 5 kms to get to optimum temperature with a consistent reduction in noise with increase in operating temperature.

Mileage - Well, it really depends on your driving style a lot but its possible to get around 14 overall from the petrols and around 18 overall from the diesels. Overall is city + highway

Since your usage is upto 1000 kms a month, I would recommend that you stick to petrol since on doing a detailed TCO (Total Cost of Ownership) calculation you will realize that a petrol is better even as per detailed financial calculations. Note that diesel is set to rise month on month for quite some time now while petrol being completely deregulated can go both ways.

If I would be in your place, it would be the 1.4 if it had to be a Punto. Otherwise, Pandit has a White TJet with Apr 11 VIN (DMZ) and Mar 11 tires (1111) at the service center which is on a temp regn no and clocked just over 4.5k kms indicating that it was probably a TD car. Personally, I would try to get that TJet at a very well negotiated price.

Pune TFI members had a quick meet at Pandit last weekend and you missed a chance to get a quick feel of the 1.2, 1.3 FGT and 1.3 VGT Puntos owned by TFI members.

Regards

Amit
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. Arkin

Arkin Amatore

If you plan on upgrading in 5 years or less, going in for a diesel might be a better option. since resale should be better.
    But then our FIATs suffer from poor resale regardless of the fuel. :evilsmile
  5. manojc26

manojc26 Timido

Pune
    By the way, does Punto 90 HP beat Polo 1.6 , in straight line?
  6. amitp

amitp Amatore

Pune, Maharashtra
    Hypothetically, if enough straight line is available, the Polo is going to beat the Punto. In the real world, the speeds at which this is going to happen, you are going to have a window of barely 20 secs before there is at least a slight curve. I have a 90 diesel and a friend has a 1.6 Polo, both of us drive the other car for a change when we get the chance. He still curses me for not having pushed him to take the 1.4 (he was blinded by VW back then and I get the blame), which is a marriage of the lovely linear delivery which is clean and effortless all the way of the petrol engine and the almost flawless handling which is a virtue of the Punto. At the end of it all, in closely matched cars, its not power but handling that has the upper hand.

Regards

Amit
    1 person likes this.
  7. platinumshine

platinumshine Regolare

nicely explained!
    You should write more often man ! :)
  8. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

Nope it Wont,Polo's 1.6L Motor has an edge,when it comes to outright acceleration and power.
    1 person likes this.
  9. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    On straight line Polo 1.6 definitely beats Punto 1.3 MJD 90HP. Since polo 1.6 is close 105HP, it will surely outdo Punto 90HP.

Other advantage is 1.6 Polo is a petrol engine, so you don't have to deal with even a pinch of turbo lag unlike the Punto 90HP MJD which is a diesel. :)

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2
  10. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    NIssan Micra Diesel can also beat Punto in a straight line ::V
    1 person likes this.