1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto or Polo: Kindly advice

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by slbaite, Jan 29, 2013.

1. slbaite

New Delhi
    Had hardtimes searching for a genuine forum like this who can guide me in my decision. Thank you TEAMFIAT.

With warm regard to all,
    I'm planning to own a hatchback car which is unique in looks, handling, space & brand. This is gonna be my first car. I have zoom down to the two most attractive car viz. Grande Punto (petrol dynamic) & Polo (petrol comfortline) depending on my budget & commute.

I have test drove both the cars & both are unique in their own areas. Polo has attractive dual tone color & feels spacious & sedan, but punto has dull dual tone interior. Both feels European & attractive. I was told that Polo has bootspace of 260 litrs. & Punto as 280 litrs.

I feel that VW has a good no. outlets & feel more established. But Fiat recently break its ties with Tata, which looks like a set back though they promise more outlets to come up. I'am in complete dilemma, unable to decide among the two.

Kindly advice on comparative aspects such as post servicing cost, features, long term maintainance, brand future, technical specifications, comforts, uniqueness, quality etc.

Thanking you in anticipation for your valuable tips :)

New Delhi
  2. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Let me start off by stating that i am not EXPERT and i do not own any car. But what i say below is just the learnings and understanding i have gained over time from this Forum and TeamBHP.

[/COLOR][/B]1. Just do not consider the looks for the car and go for it. In that case, Punto looks way sexy and hot than polo (Personal opinion).
    2. Please consider the safety as the biggest concern while deciding a car.
    3. I heard that VW spares and ASS is quite not good than FIAT. (Correct me if i am wrong)
    4. I personally likes curvy and sexy than sharp boxy corners and edges.
    5. Since you said TD done for both cars, give a thought about Confortness, Space (leg rooms), driving aesthetics, Car handling and its dynamics.
    6. FIAT do and are coming back with a good bang. Please go through SS threads and future plans threads.
    7. Please do consider the Engine as well. AFAIK punto petrol has FIRE engine but not sure about polos and which is better.
    8. Spares are quite costly than FIAT i heard. Again correct me if i am wrong.

One suggestion is to go through couple of Ownership threads here and see what their view on -ve points of other cars does holds good to you as well.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Welcome aboard :)

FIAT's decision to go alone in the distribution and servicing of it's cars is definitely not a setback for the brand. Now you can be assured of an exclusive FIAT dealership where only FIAT cars are tended to. There are two FIAT exclusive dealers in the NCR region already up and running. And you can visit the FIAT Caffe at Janpath to have a feel of the cars first hand.

The Punto Dynamic carries a fair bit more features than the Polo. The engine is the tried and tested 1.2 unit and no complaints really. Regarding the brand future, you can rest assured FIAT is here to stay. It has announced plans to open 120 independent dealerships pan-India and you can check TFI to see reports of new dealerships coming up almost every other week.

Also, how much is your planned monthly use in the car and whether this will be your primary or secondary car.

1 person likes this.
  4. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

I wouldn't be biased towards FIAT here.But FIAT is doing quite well in the market.Since they are going independent with showrooms and service,they will surely gain the markets faith in no time.Punto is surely hot looking than polo and if u pick the diesel,its way ahead in techlonogy when compared to TDi.VW A.S.S is nothing to be told off and the spares are priced exorbitantly.VW dont offer free services, instead one has to pay 10k while purchasing the car which is called AMC.I dont understand VW's system here.If you intend to pickup the petrol Polo then please my sincere advice to you would be "AVOID IT" The 3pot is really the crappiest petrol motor i've ever seen.It is peppier to drive in city though but not really refined and at a point of time could give you a diesel feel :-D There have been number of recalls with respect to polo which consist of critical parts like engine mounting and stuff.

Again i would say it all boils down to your personel choice.Choose a car which has it's service center closely located to you!!Saves a lot of running around in future.
    2 people like this.
  5. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    On your points, below is my personal view -

• servicing cost - Punto (VW servicing cost is huge, no free servicing)
    • features - Punto
    • long term maintainance - Punto will be much cheaper to maintain
    • brand future - VW has better brand image for now, Fiat is working hard to match it, but it is behind.
    • technical specifications - should be similar, please compare fact sheets
    • comforts - Punto (Polo rear space is worst in segment)
    • uniqueness - You take a call
    • quality - Interior - Polo, all others - Punto

How much is your running per month? If its going to touch 1000KM or so, think of buying MJD.
    1 person likes this.
  6. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    Hi, i would not recommend a VW personally as its not a VFM for sure with spares and service a nightmare,
    as told by fellows you are inviting a big hole in your pocket ..
  7. raj29

raj29 Superiore

Adding to what our memebers have said above, I was in the same dilema 9 months ago and after driving and thinking about both i think Punto is a better car and better package than Polo (am talking about diesel only).

• Punto has the best possible engine
    • Punto has a better service and maintenance cost when compared to VW
    • Punto offers more features and comfort in the price point (i bought a Punto 90HP)
    • I feel Punto has a better rear seat that Polo and accomodates 3 persons better than Polo

These are some of the points that led me to Punto.

Also depending on your monthly usage a petrol or diesel could change the probabilities!!
  8. ramvignesh

ramvignesh Amatore

Punto handling, driveablity and its hydraulic steering is no match. Punto is too good. Stunning looks. Rigid chasis.
    Cool features. Fiat is a BIG brand owning the Ferrai and few other super car brand.
    Punto abarth coming up soon. You would never regret owning a Fiat.
    I am not sure how good the petrol engine is. Also check for Linea T-jet if any dealer is having it. You would get it for fantastic deals.
    2 people like this.
  9. Arkin

Arkin Amatore

Unless in love with it's looks, interiors and the VW brand, I don't really see why anyone would consider the Polo over the Punto.

The lower purchase & maintenance costs might make up for the Punto's poorer resale.

EDIT: Irrespective of which you choose, diesel motors are worth considering.
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  10. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    Any reason to decide only between Punto and Polo?

What would be the expected monthly run with your car? If you have decided on Petrol, give a thought on Honda Jazz too. Practically it is a very good car. Of course not as solidly built as the Europeans but it is a perfect car for a family.
    1 person likes this.