1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto or Linea

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by sk_team_fiat, Mar 12, 2011.

1. sk_team_fiat

Dear All

I own an Alto now. I'm planning to buy a new car. My specifications are:
    * Diesel and Reliable
    * approx. 40 - 50 kms a day in city traffic
    * once in two months long drive (300 - 600 kms) with family (My wife, daughter 6 yrs old and me)
    * budget around 10 lacs

I like both Punto and Linea. I would like to know what are the advantages of choosing a Linea over a Punto (90 hp)? I may not need a huge boot space.

2. Welcome to TFI!

If you have budget of 10 Lacs then I suggest you go for Linea else Punto. When I took TD of Linea (FIRE and Multijet) I did not like the fit, finish and plastic quality. This was one of the reasons to go for T-JET. But now I read that this is improved in the new versions. If Fuel Economy is not a concern and your monthly running works out to be <1400 KMS then you may want to try out Linea T-JET as well. This is fantastic car!
  3. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

^^^ the tjet and the mjd fit and finish is same. no difference at all. the test drive vehicles are old and abused. so is the fit and finish.
    now there is not a 1% difference between finish of both.

i too have an alto for spare and short runs and linea mjd for long runs. its giving me mileage of 17-20 in city and 21-23 on highways. linea will give you more comfort.
    punto 90hp is fun to drive car.

punto will give you ease of parking in city. linea is so long that it needs acres of space. but linea is a highway queen.
  4. Ichimaru

Ichimaru Regolare

Gurgaon, India
    If you can afford Linea, then why not?
    How tall are you? If the rear bench space is a problem, go for Linea instead of Punto.
  5. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi SK, welcome to TFI.

The fit and finish of the newer cars is improved. Have a look at this thread:
    Go through the whole thread.

Regarding Punto vs Linea vs T-JET.

T-JET only if you are ok with a petrol car. It has a turbo with 110Bhp. Awesome to drive. 16 inch alloys, 205mm wide tyres, all 4 disc brakes, Italian leather seats.

Otherwise, between Punto and Linea, keep the following things in mind:
    - Linea is a sedan so qualifies for the "big car concept".
    - Linea looks like Audi from the front. It is longer than Jetta, Corolla Altis, Octavia, Civic. It will surely turn more heads on roads as compared to Punto.
    - Linea has more space as the back as compared to Punto. Front and rear armrests as well.
    - Linea has foot level and knee level rear AC vents. Punto only has foot level rear AC vents.

- Punto will be easier to park and maneuver in city as compared to Linea. Be advised that Linea is a very big car so needs more parking space.
    - You can get top model of Punto, the 90hp VGT for around Rs7 lacs ex-showroom. So the rest of the money saved can be used for covering the other expenses (fuel bills, routine service etc).

Yes, Linea has more features, space, premium car looks etc but then you will be paying more as compared to Punto. Punto has the advantage in city maneuverability and parking.

Both Punto and Linea have many features not found in other cars upto 10-12 lacs. e.g. Speed sensitive front wipers, Microsoft Blue&Me, voice commander, auto check control (Audi has this feature), Windows Media Player etc.
  6. sk_team_fiat

Thanks 'PaddleShifter'.

By reading this forum and other information in the net, I came to similar conclusion. I'm caught between 'Big Car' vs being practical about city driving. Still I've a month to decide.
  7. ManUTDian

ManUTDian Amatore

New Delhi
    Well general rule that most people follow is that, they keep a small car for city driving esp. for a quick drive to near by market or crowded place. and then there is a Big (Read: Sedan) Car for other things that don't fall into above category.

Since you already have Alto for City conditions, go for Linea.
  8. Ichimaru

Ichimaru Regolare

Gurgaon, India
    +1 to ManUTDian
    Also, once you have a FIAT, be rest assured you'll be making more highway trips :D
  9. Paddleshifter has covered all the differences and positives.

Since you have an Alto, that would take care of your city needs.
    Affordability is not an issue for you, then why not the Linea. Goahead bro.
  10. ravindra_punto

For long trips very good vehicle,Go for LINEA DIESEL.