1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto or Linea Dilemma

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by senthil, Sep 9, 2013.

1. senthil

senthil

chennai
    Just want to close in on the model for my requirement. Have not TD Linea going to do it soon.

1) Normal Driving ( Not going to drive sporty or so ).
    2) Rear bench space of Punto is sufficient. Dont see much usage for the linea boot.
    3) Most of the times would be driving in city. But for not so frequent highway drives ( 4-5k kms max in a year ) too, like to have ride comfort for rear bench ( city/ highway ) both ways. Does linea suspension with rear anti rollbar gives much better ride comfort for rear passengers vs punto ?.

My main concern is the point 3) and nothing else. That's what holding me in a dilemma of what vehicle to go for. Obviously after Punto TD, my mind got set in Fiat only . Will share TD inputs of Linea soon.

If have decided for punto, can i wait for 6 months or so for the "evo" version or the new Linea. If punto, am going to go for the 90 hp version now.
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Punto and Linea should give similar rear comfort. However with rear AC vents and beige color combination, Linea is certainly premium.
    If boot is not a criteria, 90HP should suffice most of the requirements. As planned, take long test drive of Linea and take a call.

Regarding "Punto evo", no information yet and the new Punto will anyway take approximate a year or so.
    New Linea should be available early next year.
  3. FastLove

FastLove Superiore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    Punto suits your requirement

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  4. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    From your requirement, the 90 HP Punto should suit. However, do take a test drive of the Linea and then take a call. As Ravi mentioned the beige does bring in some premiumness to the interiors.
  5. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Punto 90hp ( The Mighty 90) should be your car, if the presence of the boot is not a MUST have. The Punto boot is not small by any means either.

The Punto does edge out the Linea in the fun-to-drive quotient.

Cheers.
  6. senthil

senthil

chennai
    Thanks for the replies. Am not a big fan of interiors rather look at usuable features more. So will do a sufficient TD of linea and will think about this. So seems like the new Punto is scheduled for 2014 year end or so. BTW, can you guys list out some probable features that might come up in the New Punto.
  7. GaganTakker

GaganTakker Amatore

New Delhi

If Money is also a criterion, go for Punto as rightly sd above and save some EMI
    Else having a boot is always advantage and its a marginally bigger in size too
  8. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    I'll be watching this thread closely :)

My take:

Similarities:
    The engine, specs and features are almost same in both Punto 90HP and Linea.
    Both are bench marks for high speed handling and steering feed back.

Differences:
    Linea Emotion comes with 16" alloys and 205/55/R16 tyres.
    Linea has a boot and elegant looks where are Punto is the best looking hatch back currently available in India. My personal opinion. But, I believe many will agree on this.
    The price difference between Linea and Punto 90HP is ~2 Lakhs OTR (based on OTR in Hyderabad)

Advantages over eachother:
    A hatch back is always easy to maneuver than a sedan in city driving conditions.
    Easy to find parking space for a hatch back.
    Sedan is in a total different leauge in terms of aestheics.

Can't recall anything else now, but will surely update if I can think of more.

The future of Punto is not very clear now. But a new Linea (facelift or update) is going to come for sure in the next year.
    If you zero-in for the Linea, I would suggest you to wait until the new Linea releases and then make a decision.
    Just in case if Fiat releases 1.3 MJD Linea with a different gear box, with better gear ratios and better tune. Or a 1.6 MJD, which will be just awesome to drive.
  9. senthil

senthil

chennai
    Any salient features that might come up in New Punto ( we cant be sure, but kind of most probables ) any .
  10. S A SHAH

S A SHAH Regolare

Srinagar
    Linea T-Jet
    So for as your yearly mileage is concerned, petrol car will serve you well. So I suggest you TD a T-jet base version and then decide the final take.
    T-jet's city driving is a pleasure and it runs in 3rd, 4th gear with high level of comfort and easy handling.....you will never regret the decision.

020920136769.jpg 070720136605.jpg
    Tjet at FIAT-Caffe and at my country home, respectively.
    1 person likes this.